HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

takuyazzz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OT a bit...i'll be at shenzhen next week and will 1 day of free n easy, is it more recommended to visit luo wu or dong men if i wanna do some shopping??

misshanako

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
monster3 said:
Great info from misshanako, thanks a lot.

How can i get there from Yau Ma Tei area? i'm quite poor in my mandarin. Please help.
Any idea the Ngong Ping 360 still under maintenance?

Whats the best way to get to The Peak?

Thanks...

You would like to go to the peak from where? from your hotel in Yamatei or what?

yeah , its still under MAINTENANCE. I know i shouldnt tell you about this but I am an honest person..pls read the following link..

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=11&art_id=46616&sid=14019242&con_type=3

Ngong Ping 360 shut after plunge

Diana Lee, Una So and Mimi Lau

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A two-tonne cable car plunged more than 50 meters from the troubled Ngong Ping 360 line on Lantau Island Monday night.
The popular tourist attraction was closed for the night and there were no injuries.

The incident has sparked fears over the safety of the system that began operation last September and services have been suspended.

Officials from the government, emergency services, MTR Corp and operators were still investigating early today.

A source said an emergency drill was being conducted at around 8pm when the mishap occurred.

"Cable cars were being moved at about seven meters per second to perform emergency brakes. But one of the cars broke loose from a height of about 13 to 14 stories. The alarm system revealed there was a problem at Tower 2B," the source said.

The cable car landed on a slope beneath a support tower close to the Chek Lap Kok South Road turnaround area near the Tung Chung bus terminal.

Members of the rescue services later carried out a three-hour search of the site, which is popular with joggers and fishermen.

Ambulances and fire engines stood by in case there were casualties.

Legislative Council transport panel chairman Andrew Cheng Kar-foo called for the management team at operator Skyrail-ITM to be replaced.

Since opening, Ngong Ping 360 has experienced technical problems that have left passengers stranded.

"But this is the most serious incident because it involves a fallen cable car. This incident will shatter public
confidence," Cheng said.

Travel Industry Council executive director Joseph Tung Yiu-chung said: "This is a very serious matter. The government must find out what went wrong and take steps to ensure passenger safety."

He added that refunds should be made to those who already have tickets.

Hong Kong Polytechnic University Mechanical Engineering Department engineer Lo Kwok-keung doubted whether the incident was caused by the recent bad weather.

He said the horizontal beam on the cable car may be too thin, and unable to handle passenger weight and wind velocity. "The plunge could have been caused by the snapping of the beam."

Skyrail-ITM managing director Bill Calderwood said: "Obviously, we are very concerned about what happened tonight."

He added that the incident happened during a series of tests, which were part of the annual ropeway survey.

"A cabin or a cable way system was dislodged and fell to the ground near Tower 2B, but there were no people on the line at the time."

He said the operator is investigating the matter along with the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department and MTR Corp.

But he said there were no adverse weather conditions at the time.

He apologized for the inconvenience caused and promised refunds will be made.

Secretary for Economic Development and Labour Stephen Ip Shu-kwan said Ngong Ping 360 has been ordered to suspend its services. He said the government expressed "serious concern" over the incident.

Since opening, Ngong Ping 360 has carried one million passengers and collected HK$64 million.

Fatal accidents involving cable car systems are rare.

The worst occurred March 9, 1976, at the ski resort of Cavalese in Italy.

A steel cable broke sending a gondola tumbling 200 meters down a mountain, killing 42 people, including 15 children.

In the same area in 1998, a low- flying US military aircraft severed a cable, killing all 20 passengers in one gondola.

qqspot

Reaction score
pker88 said:
wow long term in HK
qqspot got a job there i guess
weather in SG is kinda normal one day hot one day rains
No lah i am coming back on 16 July 2007

qqspot

Reaction score
y0natan said:
Hi,
I'm new to this thread. Am planning to go to HK this Oct. I was trying to look for acommodation and found that the hotel rates for that period is much higher. Is that true? Or was it me being too kiasu for trying to book the hotel too much in advance?
Hong Kong Hotel rate are more higher compare to Singapore Hotels.

If you want to stay neither in Hotel nor Hosel you can look for me i can intro you some nice apartment for short stay...

qqspot

Reaction score
673itrus said:
nice fireworks ..hei like to ask as going there soon -- how about the power plugs in hk hotels ,is it the same 220V ??

also from butties here ,any place /shopping where you can find good IT stuffs ?
All HK Plugs are same as Singapore 220V - 240V 3 pin plug

qqspot

Reaction score
misshanako said:
HI ggspot,

Sorry that I am quite busy here in HK, I will be in SG in Sept.
You can pm me la
Hanako
No worries if you are in SIngapore please call me at 65 8163 1757
OR
If you see this PM you can always call me at 852 66849763

Regards,
QQ

qqspot

Reaction score
speedtest99 said:
whenever i am in hong kong, i always like to eat their dessert especially those in tangchao.
taste is heavenly good.
Wait until you try thoese beancurd, foods or heaven desserts in Causeway Bay will blow your mind...
They are damm GOOD LAH!!

takuyazzz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
takuyazzz said:
OT a bit...i'll be at shenzhen next week and will 1 day of free n easy, is it more recommended to visit luo wu or dong men if i wanna do some shopping??

anyone has any experience with shenzhen?

takuyazzz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
casche said:
Hi dolphingalgal,

I am planning to go HK this Aug too...during the National Day week...wat abt you? are you going alone?

check the date of her post... :s22:

casche

Reaction score
qqspot said:
Hong Kong Hotel rate are more higher compare to Singapore Hotels.

If you want to stay neither in Hotel nor Hosel you can look for me i can intro you some nice apartment for short stay...

Hi ggspot,

Care to elaborate more on the apartments for short stay? Thanks!

casche

Reaction score
takuyazzz said:
check the date of her post... :s22:

haha..tanx takuyazzz for pointing out my error...so used to the format of some forums whereby the latest post is on the last page.

misshanako

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
qqspot said:
No worries if you are in SIngapore please call me at 65 8163 1757
OR
If you see this PM you can always call me at 852 66849763

Regards,
QQ

er, I do not speak Madarin !! I will be in SG in mid Sept

monster3

Reaction score
misshanako said:
welcome :)

quite poor in your mandarin? lol we speak cantonese and english here. dont worry.

if you go from yaumatei. you can take metro ( yamatei to Tiu Keng Leng direction, green line), get off at Choi Hung Station. exit c2, take mini bus 1A, HK$7.5..the last stop is Sai Kung Pier. you can see many tourists there..

油麻地 至 彩虹

八達通車費 單程車費
成人 特惠 成人 特惠
HK$ 6.8 HK$ 3.4 HK$ 7.5 HK$ 4

最少行車時間 14 分鐘
轉車站 沒有轉車站

for your reference. the metro site in hk.

www.mtr.com.hk

ps...its an open area in Sai Kung Pier. you better be careful of the SUN and the thieves :)
Thanks... I'll bring my gf there for a seafood dinner.

Thanks a lot...

monster3

Reaction score
misshanako said:
You would like to go to the peak from where? from your hotel in Yamatei or what?
ya, i would like to know the way to the great buddha from my hotel in yuamatei(YMCA International House).

qqspot

Reaction score
misshanako said:
er, I do not speak Madarin !! I will be in SG in mid Sept
i speak english and cantonese dun worry....
YuenLong.gif

Oh yes did i say Hong Kong Cantonese

Last edited:

WaynePoh

Reaction score
monster3 said:
ya, i would like to know the way to the great buddha from my hotel in yuamatei(YMCA International House).
Just bk from hk, also stay at international house. nice n clean.

U can take MTR from you ma tei to Lai King interchange (redline) and change to orange line to Tung chung,.from tung chung Bus interchange take bus 23(bus fare ab 16~17HKD,can use otopus) to tian tan buddha.( as the Ngong Ping360 still shut down)Taking bus to big buddha is a damn tiring trip. as the road to there is not as easy as u took the ngongping360.

or u can go to Kowloon MTR station n take the orange line directly to Tung Chung n take bus 23 to the tian tan buddha.

Last edited:

qqspot

Reaction score
lowjk said:
For those who have not been to tangchao recently - it has shifted further down the road (in the direction AWAY from Harbour City.

New avant-garde decor. Food tastes the same though. Can't recall if there is a price increase in some items, but the tau hway still cost the same.
Are you refer to this shop in Canton Road, TST, Hong Kong?
R0014403.jpg

qqspot

Reaction score
casche said:
Hi ggspot,

Care to elaborate more on the apartments for short stay? Thanks!
This is the apartment i am staying now...
Please kindly read the link below...
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showpost.php?p=24287865&postcount=1817

A BoutiqueS Apartment, with Scandinavian Modern Designs.
A private washroom with shower.
Pantry with fridge, hotplate, kettle and utensils.
Free Cable TV (PCCW Now TV) & DVD player.
Free Private Telephone Line.
Free Fiber Optic Boardband, HKBN BB1000Mbps on Wi Fi networks.
Free Wireless Internet, Access Point At Ever Single Floor!!
Free Weekly Room Cleaning.
Any enquiries, please kindly PM me & leave down your contact number also...
Let me know at least 3 weeks advance, as the rooms are mostly booked monthly!!
Only HK$550 - 600(Single Bed)/HK$580 - 800(Double Bed) per night.

I am in overseas now please kindly pm me your mobile number...

jason_88

Reaction score
hi. peeps out there anyone can comment on the stanley market? is it worth to shop over there? and where is it? thanks alots. Also wuold like to ask about MACAU's Cybernetic Fountain laser and music show. is it worth going over there? pls guide mi how do i get there. thanks alot

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.