How do you cope with programming works when you are over 50?

fishbuff

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
common issues like; keep forgetting the syntax and commands, easily lost train of thoughts, mental crunching rate is more than 1/2 of what i used to have a decade ago, finding it less and less motivated to work with mental taxing tasks. How do you manage to cope with failing programming competency?

KnyghtRyder

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
common issues like; keep forgetting the syntax and commands, easily lost train of thoughts, mental crunching rate is more than 1/2 of what i used to have a decade ago, finding it less and less motivated to work with mental taxing tasks. How do you manage to cope with failing programming competency?
Find a different line of work. No shame.

lowsesbbfa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Heng I too stupid to be in IT in the first place...

consigliere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
50 should be management level and let ppl do the mental taxing stuff?

eggie011

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Start doing something different like architecture, migration and less coding.

cheongmanz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even ah ma can still do programming
6a0120a5580826970c0240a4ca05bc200d-pi

ng min teck

Master Member
Reaction score
Use good ide like ideas for syntax, refer document, stackoverflow, udemy.
Alot programming language creator are over 50 yo

ZedMaster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm 59 this year and I still like doing nested loops even if it's not a good programming practice but I don't get to do much programming anymore.

Entry Level PC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Become a security guard.
Shake leg feed mosquito.
No need to use brain one.

mrBooBoo

Reaction score

it is mostly due to working memory decline as we age.

having routine to maintain working memory or learning tricks to rely on long term memory more on cognitive task.

fasting. meditation resistance training. cardio workout. fish oil supplement.

it not just helps with programming, but your overall quality of life. and even longevity.

Sent from EDMWER app!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.