How do you cope with programming works when you are over 50?

finkslain

Master Member
Reaction score
common issues like; keep forgetting the syntax and commands, easily lost train of thoughts, mental crunching rate is more than 1/2 of what i used to have a decade ago, finding it less and less motivated to work with mental taxing tasks. How do you manage to cope with failing programming competency?
Retire and let someone who wants to do your job get hired.

doctorwho

Reaction score
common issues like; keep forgetting the syntax and commands, easily lost train of thoughts, mental crunching rate is more than 1/2 of what i used to have a decade ago, finding it less and less motivated to work with mental taxing tasks. How do you manage to cope with failing programming competency?
what languages, platforms u doing?

Nuclear Boy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's a cue to change or leave this line of work.

I'm si ginna pi now and only learnt 2 prog languages so far at a basic level many years ago. You ask me to do anything serious with them, I'll stare at you blankly like I've forgotten who I am. Tried as I might, really cannot tahan writing code and debugging. On the other hand, messing around with physical setups, taking measurements, logging data for hours straight is fine with me because it's more engaging.

Then someone else will write the code to analyse all the data I collected (using code they've written). :s13:

fishbuff

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's a cue to change or leave this line of work.

I'm si ginna pi now and only learnt 2 prog languages so far at a basic level many years ago. You ask me to do anything serious with them, I'll stare at you blankly like I've forgotten who I am. Tried as I might, really cannot tahan writing code and debugging. On the other hand, messing around with physical setups, taking measurements, logging data for hours straight is fine with me because it's more engaging.

Then someone else will write the code to analyse all the data I collected (using code they've written). :s13:
For all those functions that I need, I have refer to the online docs examples, cutnpaste, modify to suit my needs. Can't remember all those syntax at all.

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just need practise...

go to udemy .. and just go thru those courses where you code the project as you learn..

dont go thru those courses which teaches you the syntax... that one is no use one.

hound297

Master Member
Reaction score
Those syntax and function issues, your IDE should have taken care of all these nonsense for you. As for loss of train of though - try planning ahead before you code. Dont just jump in and straight away code. Write down on paper or whiteboard om what to do and they can serve as visual reminders.

locksleychang

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no idiot.... you don't get that I am actually referring to you.

you are hopeless!!!

Sent from EDMWER app!

I am doing very well for myself. Nowhere near 50s, and far higher up in the value chain where I can give instructions instead of having to do programming, which is basically bangala's work in the IT context. I guess I am "hopeless" since I don't need to "hope" for anything in my life right now.

A person doing programming in his or her 50s for fun is fine. But to have to depend on doing this to earn a living... This person needs to look back on his time in the workforce and ask himself what went wrong.

Seeing how triggered you are, you're probably in the same boat as the almost-60 PM who have to report to us and get shouted at by people half his age.

Enjoy your life. We're enjoying ours.

mrBooBoo

Reaction score
I am doing very well for myself. Nowhere near 50s, and far higher up in the value chain where I can give instructions instead of having to do programming, which is basically bangala's work in the IT context. I guess I am "hopeless" since I don't need to "hope" for anything in my life right now.
A person doing programming in his or her 50s for fun is fine. But to have to depend on doing this to earn a living... This person needs to look back on his time in the workforce and ask himself what went wrong.
Seeing how triggered you are, you're probably in the same boat as the almost-60 PM who have to report to us and get shouted at by people half his age.
Enjoy your life. We're enjoying ours.

goes to show how entrenched and deluded you are. lack perspective and world view only revolved around satisfying personal ego.

what you writing here is an obvious one to most human except for yourselves. sadly, don't think you will get it.

like I said, sinkie like you is hopeless, thinking that the world is zero sum and throwing out demeaning words alluded putting people down.

lastly, I don't wish you well coz I'm not a hypocrite like you. coz your perspective is detriment to our society.

Sent from EDMWER app!

locksleychang

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
goes to show how entrenched and deluded you are. lack perspective and world view only revolved around satisfying personal ego.

what you writing here is an obvious one to most human except for yourselves. sadly, don't think you will get it.

like I said, sinkie like you is hopeless, thinking that the world is zero sum and throwing out demeaning words alluded putting people down.

lastly, I don't wish you well coz I'm not a hypocrite like you. coz your perspective is detriment to our society.

Sent from EDMWER app!

Boo hoo.

You're just sore that your life is crap and envious that others are doing better than you. Calling other people hopeless won't change the state of your own sad, pathetic life.

The moment someone points out the truth that you deep inside know, or have a different perspective from you, you cannot reconcile the sad reality you're living in and start picking fights with people online.

Enjoy your sad, pathetic and meaningless life.

mrBooBoo

Reaction score
Boo hoo.
You're just sore that your life is crap and envious that others are doing better than you. Calling other people hopeless won't change the state of your own sad, pathetic life.
The moment someone points out the truth that you deep inside know, or have a different perspective from you, you cannot reconcile the sad reality you're living in and start picking fights with people online.
Enjoy your sad, pathetic and meaningless life.

you are all cooking up narrative to protect your fragile ego that constantly needs validation.

shall end here. seem it will get worst from here on.

Sent from EDMWER app!

dannytan87

Banned
Reaction score
new version of java got vector compute...... multiple data multiple functions.

vector as in scalar vector tensor that vector......

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.