How do you cope with programming works when you are over 50?

sohguanh

Master Member
Reaction score
Programmer in Western is different from Asian. In Asian most mindset is once you reach say age 40-50 you are supposed to go into top mgmt or at least project mgmt as programming is deem as bangla work let young graduates do. You do more atas high level work. In Western, their programmer in their 40-50s are highly valued for their experience and dedication and they are rewarded for their effort.

Unfortunately I am Asian and hence I suffer the fate of not going into top mgmt or project mgmt (try before don't like u-turn back). Now is basically to tahan until retire becuz need to feed children. Lastly, to sustain your programming work into age 40-50 indicate you really like software development a lot else you would have move on to more atas work in IT.

Programming in this year 2022 is still viewed as bangla worker in air-con environment. From year 1998 I come out work until now same perception.

Ambergris

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
common issues like; keep forgetting the syntax and commands, easily lost train of thoughts, mental crunching rate is more than 1/2 of what i used to have a decade ago, finding it less and less motivated to work with mental taxing tasks. How do you manage to cope with failing programming competency?
Should already be at a stage to let go and let the younger ones to run these tasks, you should just do supervision & project management. Give the younger ones some freedom to develop.

Thoreldan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Over 50s programmer can go stack overflow be chief moderator liao leh.

Experience gao gao.

fishbuff

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those syntax and function issues, your IDE should have taken care of all these nonsense for you. As for loss of train of though - try planning ahead before you code. Dont just jump in and straight away code. Write down on paper or whiteboard om what to do and they can serve as visual reminders.
was using jupyter-lab. will change to pycharm
maybe should just hang up the programming cloak and go into teaching. but that line, once go in, cannot come out.

SME_Boss

Banned
Reaction score
be a boss like me, i hire top vietnam grads to help me code

i have never seen a zai programmer in sg before

theMKR

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm 59 this year and I still like doing nested loops even if it's not a good programming practice but I don't get to do much programming anymore.
y nested loop not good practice?

cos map better?

xcodes

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am doing very well for myself. Nowhere near 50s, and far higher up in the value chain where I can give instructions instead of having to do programming, which is basically bangala's work in the IT context. I guess I am "hopeless" since I don't need to "hope" for anything in my life right now.

A person doing programming in his or her 50s for fun is fine. But to have to depend on doing this to earn a living... This person needs to look back on his time in the workforce and ask himself what went wrong.

Seeing how triggered you are, you're probably in the same boat as the almost-60 PM who have to report to us and get shouted at by people half his age.

Enjoy your life. We're enjoying ours.

by need to shout?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.