How much you will need to bring for a trip to Japan

Abernatine

Reaction score
is $2000 (~¥160,000) enough for 2 weeks? 1 Pax. Accommodation already paid for.

Kantō region

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is $2000 (~¥160,000) enough for 2 weeks? 1 Pax. Accommodation already paid for.

Kantō region

shld be quite comfortable.

any big ticket items like entrance tickets to theme parks, or shinkansen train tickets?

Abernatine

Reaction score
shld be quite comfortable.

any big ticket items like entrance tickets to theme parks, or shinkansen train tickets?

Not really. I wanna try budget by just using JR east trains that can use Pasmo or Suica to travel the surrounding areas outside Tokyo. (eg, Yokohama, Hakone.)

I might visit Disneyland, but that is only if I have some leftover cash. it's not up in my priority list.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not really. I wanna try budget by just using JR east trains that can use Pasmo or Suica to travel the surrounding areas outside Tokyo. (eg, Yokohama, Hakone.)

I might visit Disneyland, but that is only if I have some leftover cash. it's not up in my priority list.

most of the expensive items such as disney tickets or shinkensen can use credit card to pay. so even if u didnt cater enuf, can also fall back on credit cards.

Abernatine

Reaction score
most of the expensive items such as disney tickets or shinkensen can use credit card to pay. so even if u didnt cater enuf, can also fall back on credit cards.

I'm planning on not using a credit card for non-essential expenses. Without it, I'm still good right? Cash only

DrAwkward

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Solo in Jun for around 10 or 13 days. Intending to do Tokyo to Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto (might go down to Hiroshima) so should be getting a JR Pass in this case.

Accoms wise planning to capsule hotel mostly cos cheap (I very free and easy), maybe last night or two indulge a bit stay in normal hotel (but still cheap one ~$100?)

Food likely to be convenience store for breakfast, fast food-esque for lunch. Maybe S$50 per day? Will eat atas a bit once every few days.

Flights will be to and fro Narita

If my plan like that, roughly how much should I budget in total?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Solo in Jun for around 10 or 13 days. Intending to do Tokyo to Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto (might go down to Hiroshima) so should be getting a JR Pass in this case.

Accoms wise planning to capsule hotel mostly cos cheap (I very free and easy), maybe last night or two indulge a bit stay in normal hotel (but still cheap one ~$100?)

Food likely to be convenience store for breakfast, fast food-esque for lunch. Maybe S$50 per day? Will eat atas a bit once every few days.

Flights will be to and fro Narita

If my plan like that, roughly how much should I budget in total?

if u are planning for convenience store breakfast and fast food lunch, ur expenses for food can be quite low. probably 500yen for breakfast, and 1000yen for lunch and 1500yen for dinner should be enough. so $50 a day for food is more than enuf, with extras for snacks and supper.

add in transportation and some admission tickets for attractions, i would think about $70 a day is enough for ur case.

Abernatine

Reaction score
That’s a lot. Is it just for food and transport? Or shopping inclusive?

I'm mostly into just sightseeing, so mostly just food and transport. I'm not looking into buying anything specific, but how much shopping can I realistically do?

thwysg

Reaction score
I'm mostly into just sightseeing, so mostly just food and transport. I'm not looking into buying anything specific, but how much shopping can I realistically do?

Really depends on your interest.

My last trip in September was a solo one. Stayed in a hostel and ate cheap food. Only went to visit parks and exhibitions. Didn’t buy any snacks for friends and family. But I ended up stocking my dried foodstuffs such as dashi sachets, sakura ebi (I cook often), Japanese books, bought kitchen tools such as frying pan with detachable handle, knife, storage containers with colanders, etc. That already cost me more than ¥20,000. All squeezed into a cabin luggage. Except for fragile items which I hand-carried.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if u refer to the first post of this thread, there is a list of prices for various items. u can easily have a decent meal for below 1000yen. so food wise probably wun cost u more than 5000yen a day, including snacks between meals.
that leaves u 10000yen for everything else. if u are travelling within the city, u will likely not spend more than 1500yen on transport (consider getting a pass if u find urself spending more). so u still have a lot left for shopping, probably abt $50-100 left for shopping a day?

Abernatine

Reaction score
if u refer to the first post of this thread, there is a list of prices for various items. u can easily have a decent meal for below 1000yen. so food wise probably wun cost u more than 5000yen a day, including snacks between meals.
that leaves u 10000yen for everything else. if u are travelling within the city, u will likely not spend more than 1500yen on transport (consider getting a pass if u find urself spending more). so u still have a lot left for shopping, probably abt $50-100 left for shopping a day?

Thank you!

dleodleo

Master Member
Reaction score
I also didnt do much shopping in Tokyo. Things not cheap anyway.

Food badically 450yen to 600yen if you are on budget. You can eat at 松屋 or yoshinoya. Plain water or green is usually free. Many small ramen shops also quite cheap. Usually those in Shibuya and Shinjuku are higher.

You agar agar see how many meals you eat, total cost of transportation, attractions and etc. Then u est how much you nerd to change.

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really depends on your interest.

My last trip in September was a solo one. Stayed in a hostel and ate cheap food. Only went to visit parks and exhibitions. Didn’t buy any snacks for friends and family. But I ended up stocking my dried foodstuffs such as dashi sachets, sakura ebi (I cook often), Japanese books, bought kitchen tools such as frying pan with detachable handle, knife, storage containers with colanders, etc. That already cost me more than ¥20,000. All squeezed into a cabin luggage. Except for fragile items which I hand-carried.

you got check in the cabin luggage or carry on board?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.