How to add "Family Name or Surname" in Singapore Passport for Malays or Indians?

smoking.goblin

Reaction score
Unlike Chinese names, Malays and Indians do not have surname defined in their Singapore Passport.

So the Machine Readable portion of would look like this (e.g. YUSOFF BIN ISHAK)
PASGPYUSOFF<BIN<ISHAK<<<<<<<<<<

For Chinese names (e.g. TAN AH KAO)
PASGPTAN<<AH<KAO<<<<<<<<<<

This would create some inconveniences in clearing automated overseas immigration especially for countries that needs VISA and there is a need to define a "FAMILY NAME" and "GIVEN NAME" during the VISA application (or even our own SIA flight e-Check-ins)

I am checking if any fellow Singaporean Malays or Indians managed to insert a "FAMILY NAME" into our passport?

Thank you guys!!

smoking.goblin

Reaction score
Don't know, but Malaysia Airlines has a guide, maybe can follow that.

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/hq/en/help/booking-guide.html

No bro, even when I follow the guide given

PASSPORT NAME: YUSOFF BIN ISHAK
LAST NAME: BIN ISHAK
FIRST NAME: YUSOFF

I still unable to clear any automated Check-ins or Immigration Clearance. It is because the machine readable portion of my passport is as below

Somehow the system will not recognise it

I was told by the immigration guys that to have the system reads my name correctly, the machine readable portion of my passport have to be
PASGPBIN<ISHAK<<YUSOFF<<<<<<<<<<

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Unlike Chinese names, Malays and Indians do not have surname defined in their Singapore Passport.

So the Machine Readable portion of would look like this (e.g. YUSOFF BIN ISHAK)

For Chinese names (e.g. TAN AH KAO)
PASGPTAN<<AH<KAO<<<<<<<<<<

This would create some inconveniences in clearing automated overseas immigration especially for countries that needs VISA and there is a need to define a "FAMILY NAME" and "GIVEN NAME" during the VISA application (or even our own SIA flight e-Check-ins)

I am checking if any fellow Singaporean Malays or Indians managed to insert a "FAMILY NAME" into our passport?

Thank you guys!!
Unfortunately, it's accepted that it's rather eurocentric in this regard.

Even for academic research, people have difficulty writing citations because of the FLN convention. Many I've seen would resort to using their father's name in the last name field, since it can be viewed as a "family name" of sorts.. It is the name of the nuclear family unit you belong to. So they drop bin/binte/so/do.

For passport name systems, best check with ICA/MHA I guess. International travel is srs bzns.

Senna Wales

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No bro, even when I follow the guide given

PASSPORT NAME: YUSOFF BIN ISHAK
LAST NAME: BIN ISHAK
FIRST NAME: YUSOFF

I still unable to clear any automated Check-ins or Immigration Clearance. It is because the machine readable portion of my passport is as below

Somehow the system will not recognise it

I was told by the immigration guys that to have the system reads my name correctly, the machine readable portion of my passport have to be
PASGPBIN<ISHAK<<YUSOFF<<<<<<<<<<
That's correct, because it's always Lastname Firstname.

ahnyaahnya

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Given name is the name that your parents gave to you .
Ah Kow.
Yussof
Subramaniam.

Family name for Malays and Indians are their fathers' names.
Malays: the name that follows the "bin" or "bte".
For Indians the name that follows the s/o or d/o

smoking.goblin

Reaction score
Regarding this topic, I have re-newed my passport and defined a family name in my application.

My previous few trips using this new passport has been a breeze!!

I believe now that my passport has a family and given name defined and it matches the family and given name on my visa (or airline booking), the system clears me automatically

Finally, immigration clearance is far much easier for me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.