How to connect a PC or laptop to your new TV Official Thread

crapped

Reaction score
Hi all,

I used to be able to run 1600x1050 on my LCD monitor and 1368x768 on my LCD TV with Just Scan. I was running on Windows XP and nVidia 8800gts.

After upgrading to Windows 7 and nVidia 460, whenever I choose the option to clone the desktop, the display driver sets my TV as the main display, and adopts a resolution of 1280, I cannot seem to set my LCD monitor as the main display. My LCD monitor ends up being unable to display the entire desktop, even though the desktop on the TV looks fine.

Anyone facing the same problem? How can I get the native resolution back on my monitor and Just Scan for the TV? I tried googling, but no one seems to have the answer.

Roundhouse

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recently connected a 32" lcd TV HD-ready (native resolution 1366X768) to a pc via PC Input (VGA / D-sub) but the graphics card don't have options for 1366X768 or 1360X768. And setting resolution at 1024X760 1280X768 will result in blurry text.

So I increased resolution to 1600X900 and the text appeared clear.

Will this result in damage to the TV over long term?

I did read in some articles that some LCD TV can downscale the higher resolution inputs (to PC INPUT) to match the native 1366X768 resolution.

egnaro911

Reaction score
I have connected my Mac Mini thru HDMI cable to my Sony 32" Full HD.

Now screen running on FHD 1080P, BTW since it is connecting thru HDMI, sound from Computer is also coming from TV or my 2.1 sound system which is connected to my TV.

To me, it work perfectly... especially watch online movie.

tohzifaalex

Reaction score
Hi all,

dunno if this is the right thread but I got a little weird set up planned.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT which has 1 s-video and 2 dvi ports.

For regular use, I plan to hook up 2 monitors to it (via the 2 dvi ports), but sometimes I wanna watch movies on my LG32LHOR so I wanna connect the tv via the s-video.

Questions:

1) Do they sell s-video to VGA cable? (s-video out from PC, and VGA into TV) I've searched for a few stores around my place but only 1 even still sells s-video but is s-video to component. which is fine, but I don't wanna buy another 3.5m to component cable for sound as i currently have my 3.5 to 3.5 cable =x.

2) How will my displays work? Normally I assume that my dual screen monitors will just work fine (extended desktop), but can I clone my display onto the TV while still having dual screen monitors?

Or would all 3 even work at the same time, or do i need to 'off' my 2 monitors when i wanna use my LCD tv.

And of course, will there be any problems in doing so, like will my GFX card go crazy?

Thanks in advance and any help will be deeply appreciated.

maverickchris

Reaction score
Dear all,

I would like to ask a question.

I've just bought a Samsung notebook with a VGA port.

However, my Hitachi Plasma 42 inch TV (Model 9500ta) does not have a VGA input. (bought 4 yrs ago)

Does that meant that I need to buy a converter to convert my VGA signal to a S-video signal for my TV?

I have come across shops selling VGA to component cables but was advised against it as there were reports that such cables do not work.

Can I seek you advice here?

Thank you.

MarkTPE

Reaction score
Hi All, if my tv does not have a VGA output, as it is one of those fishtanks type bought 10 years ago, can it still be done?

petetherock

Reaction score
If your notebook has a S-video out and your TV has one, it might work.
Otherwise upgrade your TV!

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All, if my tv does not have a VGA output, as it is one of those fishtanks type bought 10 years ago, can it still be done?

you wont benefit much using your old CRT for pc display, as the texts will be blurred!

jrock87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wondering whether issit possible to link Philips Classic DVD micro system to LG flatron w1943s?

evangelion_unit002

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i have heard of wireless link between Laptop HDMI and Tv HDMI ?? any info on this?? where can i purchase this type of hardware?

Thanks

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah ok. But the images are ok right?

connected to 29" CRT before using S-video. as i've mentioned the texts are almost unreadable - unless you choose much larger fonts.

due to lower resolution on the CRT screen, the images may be scaled to lower resolution by the PC.

janscoop

Reaction score
Hi all, i have heard of wireless link between Laptop HDMI and Tv HDMI ?? any info on this?? where can i purchase this type of hardware?

Thanks
interested to know this too. does anyone know of a device that does wireless connection between laptop and hdtv? where to purchase in singapore?

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
please help//

hi all..
i just gotten my samsung 22" led tv..
but i just opened it and found out that the tv dont have a vga output....
and my laptop has a vga output..
so my new tv has a hdmi output..
is there such a thing.. where vga to hdmi?

Samsung™©

Reaction score
hi all..
i just gotten my samsung 22" led tv..
but i just opened it and found out that the tv dont have a vga output....
and my laptop has a vga output..
so my new tv has a hdmi output..
is there such a thing.. where vga to hdmi?

HDMI to DVI yes. But VGA to HDMI? I don't think so. Does your laptop has DVI/HDMI output?

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What type of hdmi cable should I buy to connect laptop to LCD TV?

I am using HD ready LCD tv.

... a cheap one? :)

But seriously, any hdmi cable you can lay your hands on should work fine. Don't worry too much about the version number, since you're just simply connecting from laptop to LCD.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.