How to know if boss like / dislike you?

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Loll then how long u wait before u confirmed no increment = don't like u = jump ship? 1 year or 2 years

1 year ???
And wanna promotion. :s13:

1 year u barely nose the company or dept processes. Unless u r super achiever.

Milodrink

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can go both ways but if more work = sai gang type which doesnt help in yr career progression u will know liao. but ultimately u need to be giving yrself a time frame, its like a romantic partner that says they want commitment when they just keep stringing u along. so its up to u to set a limit like, u will only wait for x amt. of time b4 u call it quits. same goes for a job. u need to be able to envision what u want and then set out to get it. dont be dragged on by someone's timing.

Sounds really sensible and good relation.

Well I feel most "uninspired" people just wont rock boat and just hang their head up just to get a paycheck.

If ask what they envision, most may not be sure, esp those no desire to move up corporate ladder be manager. If change company just because of "want to learn more/ get diff exposure" most after certain age also may not dare not take the risk for such little difference.

Imagine some after 30yo or 40yo still considering for career switch.

bluezzy

Reaction score
Loll then how long u wait before u confirmed no increment = don't like u = jump ship? 1 year or 2 years
I usually give myself 2-3 years. By then can tell quite clearly liao through their actions. If just keep giving you work to do and say it is to groom you but no action taken, can start sending out resumes and going for interviews.

I stayed at my prev workplace for 5 years and learnt my lesson. My boss kept telling me to helm all the big projects to prepare me for a higher position then by end of 4th year, I asked him point blank when will I be promoted. He can say not yet cos currently no vacancy. I left the year after and now I heard suddenly got vacancy and he is advertising for the position he promised to me.

Milodrink

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 year ???
And wanna promotion. :s13:

1 year u barely nose the company or dept processes. Unless u r super achiever.

Dk leh everyone diff expectations. That's why curious ask.

Then what is your magical auspicious number of years?

buyacat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
- Fight for your increment and benefits;
- Assign high value tasks and projects;
- Assign you project team members to you to lead;
- Reasonable requests for resources, within what the company can provide, it will be tabled and provided to you quickly;
- Bring you out for meals and drinks;
- Few things are kept secret from you;
- Ensures that you have visibility of management/business goals.

Kaylin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds really sensible and good relation.

Well I feel most "uninspired" people just wont rock boat and just hang their head up just to get a paycheck.

If ask what they envision, most may not be sure, esp those no desire to move up corporate ladder be manager. If change company just because of "want to learn more/ get diff exposure" most after certain age also may not dare not take the risk for such little difference.

Imagine some after 30yo or 40yo still considering for career switch.
yes so ultimately it depends on u. if you're that comfort zone type, dont want to rock the boat and just go with the flow, can also la. afterall, diff ppl do things differently. but if u want career progression in the form of pay rise & promotion then need to give yrself a time frame liao.

keep an open mind lor. many things can happen also, sometimes a boss may not like u, then they leave 1st and the nx boss is better. or u can also take what u learn and go somewhere else where u think you're valued more. change is the only constant.

mskate88

Reaction score
Tiagong

Some say give more work = like.
Some say less work = dislike.
Others say opposite.

Which is more true?
If fired, then boss don't like you

If still kept, you are considered a tool that can still be used regardless whether they like you or not.

Don't think too much. Just clock out at 6pm sharp. Working is just trading time for money

iosnewbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A good working relationship with the boss is like delicate balance between how well you can do your job vs how badly you can **** things up. The better you are at your job, the more likely the boss will arrow tough assignments to you which has a huge potential for major screw ups.

For me, it’s all about getting my boss out of tough situations so that he has enough tolerance for my nonsense. I always believe that if you are just another run of the mill employee which no one will really notice if you’re gone, then you’re only one paycheck away from redundancy.

The boss don’t necessarily have to like you as a friend, but he needs to know that a lot of shiat will fall on his plate if he loses you. I make sure my boss knows this too so that if ever I want to suddenly jump ship, there won’t be any burnt bridges cos we have always been walking on a tight rope since the beginning.

bluezzy

Reaction score
- Fight for your increment and benefits;
- Assign high value tasks and projects;
- Assign you project team members to you to lead;
- Reasonable requests for resources, within what the company can provide, it will be tabled and provided to you quickly;
- Bring you out for meals and drinks;
- Few things are kept secret from you;
- Ensures that you have visibility of management/business goals.

I have an ex colleague who can somehow get all the superiors to do this for him (even when he changed departments a few times). Guy or ladies bosses all will treat him well after a while. Thing is behind their back he gossiped so much about them and revealed the secrets they told him. Wondered how he managed to get into the bosses' good books so quickly.

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Dk leh everyone diff expectations. That's why curious ask.

Then what is your magical auspicious number of years?

If you are talking about entry level
Fastest takes 2 years into the job.

You need to rank high in performance within your dept so your boss can put up a case for promotion. Without the first year performance ratings. How to put up for promotion for the next year appraisal.

Only exceptions cases will be allowed for those who brought great value / company changes within the first year. Only a few handful r able to do that.

In big corporations MNC / gahmen linked. There is a bell curve of performance. Not suka suka I like means can promote.

If your own dept is big, like more than 10. Your boss can’t be promoted 3 or 4 within a year.
Your boss need to justify the reasons. Else every dept head(HOD) promote their own ppl like no tmlo.

If you are not the outstanding kind.
Usually takes 3-4 years.

By 2nd or 3rd year u hear nothing from your bosses from appraisal.

You can plan for exit.
Your boss has no plans for your promotion. :s13:
You are not his/her valuable subordinate. :eek:

buyacat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have an ex colleague who can somehow get all the superiors to do this for him (even when he changed departments a few times). Guy or ladies bosses all will treat him well after a while. Thing is behind their back he gossiped so much about them and revealed the secrets they told him. Wondered how he managed to get into the bosses' good books so quickly.
Need to be smooth talker, quick thinking and resourceful, yet able to hold back and not talk too much if not needed.

Even back in old days, such a person can climb very fast to become the right hand man of important people.

bluezzy

Reaction score
Need to be smooth talker, quick thinking and resourceful, yet able to hold back and not talk too much if not needed.

Even back in old days, such a person can climb very fast to become the right hand man of important people.
Yes, heard now he is next in line to become a head of dept already even though there was someone else considered for the position before him

so bottomline is if you have the gift of the gab, don't need to worry sure can survive!

Successor.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Everyone rgardless of work quality or experience level also promoted to senior, you still junior!

MoeLanYong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tiagong

Some say give more work = like.
Some say less work = dislike.
Others say opposite.

Which is more true?

Why you need validation from boss to like you?

Its just work. He wants work done. You do work. Both fall out from office. Have a life outside office.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.