Huawei AX3 Pro - Anyone bought and tried?

lycanboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I remember

01. Configure the 1st router
02. Power on 2nd router and press the H key.
03. They would auto hookup each other as Wifi or LAN mesh.

I guess the steps should be the same as a year ago.

I remember

Thanks a lot! I will give it a shot. Much appreciated.

SgVision

Reaction score

I remember

Hi all,

Am not IT savy and it was interesting reading your posts and advice.

I have an existing Huawei WS5200 ver 9.1.3.6 (C102) China Telecom 中国电信版 - setup as secondary AP using ethernet cable.

Just bought a Huawei AX3 Quad Core Singapore version which is setup as primary AP router.

ONT > AX3 SG version > WS5200 CN version

Currently having 2 different SSIDs to distinguish which AP connection.

AX3 SG version was English setup using Huawei Life app in SG selection.
WS5200 CN version could only be setup using Huawei HiLink app.

I tried pressing the H link buttons on both APs in various ways but the LED lights just keeps blinking but no nothing happens.

Can I use the AX3 as a main AP router and connect the WS5200 using HiLink Mesh? I read somewhere that Global and China versions are incompatible and will appreciate your advice on HiLink Mesh compatibility between these 2 routers.

Much thanks.

Update:
I managed to set the WS5200 in bridge mode after accessing the admin webpage (all in Chinese). Had to disable DHCP and use static IP for the WS5200.
Thereafter, when devices are connected to WS5200, they are now "seamlessly" connected to AX3 and can communicate with other devices connected to the AX3.

Last edited:

SgVision

Reaction score
The Singapore version AX3 Quad Core has much weaker Wi-Fi 5G and 2.4G signal strength and coverage than the China WS5200 after replacing it in the same exact location.

Now almost no signal in bedroom where previously I had at least some usable signal from the WS5200.

Only consolation is download/upload speed is faster but need almost direct line of sight with the AX3... IDA handicap???

Perhaps the China version of AX3 may be stronger, price is about the same on Taobao except no local SG warranty.

JuXn5566

Reaction score
The Singapore version AX3 Quad Core has much weaker Wi-Fi 5G and 2.4G signal strength and coverage than the China WS5200 after replacing it in the same exact location.
Now almost no signal in bedroom where previously I had at least some usable signal from the WS5200.
Only consolation is download/upload speed is faster but need almost direct line of sight with the AX3... IDA handicap???
Perhaps the China version of AX3 may be stronger, price is about the same on Taobao except no local SG warranty.

Yes, AX3 Quad is also much weaker than my previous tp-link router. I don't think it is due to rules set by Imda. It's just watered down version of china specs. I am regretted on the purchase.

Last edited:

lazy999

Reaction score
Hii everyone, i need advise here. I'm currently with m1 500mbps plan on asus rt-ac87u router and subscibed to singtel mio tv.

I planning to get the huawei ax3 pro to replace the asus router. Is huawei ax3 pro wifi signal strength stronger than asus ac87u?

And if i use ax3 pro, will its affect the singtel mio tv?

Thank for reading

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the wall penetrating power of china version is really good. i put at one corner of house and i still get 3 bars of 5Ghz at the farthest corner. dont need a mesh system

lazy999

Reaction score
Hmm, if i use m1 for internet and have mio singtel mio tv. Can i use this huawei router

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, if i use m1 for internet and have mio singtel mio tv. Can i use this huawei router

Yes. If you use Singtel TV without SingTel Fibre Internet, the SingTel TV box is connected to the SingTel ONR (no internet access). It has nothing to do with your M1 internet.

You can connect the AX3 Pro to the M1 ONT.

As for the wireless coverage, it all depends on the floor plan. Some people may have very good results with AX3 Pro.

To me it is not too bad but not too good either, especially for 5GHz. It can not cover my 4 room 1998 HDB flat due to the thick wall. I have upgraded to Asus RT-AX82U China version and the coverage is excellent once I set the region to Australia (this hack is not applicable for local version of Asus routers).

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, can check where most of you get the av3 pro from? Locally like shopee, lazada or from taobao? I see taobao price now is around $90+, that havent include shipping charges.

https://shopee.sg/product/147627088/7478436923?smtt=0.166572277-1621038193.9
This shopee seller is selling at $88. I thinking of getting from him to try

I got my many month ago from shopee. BTW do take note that default AX3 is in chinese.

Only the international version has english. U need to verify this with seller to confirm if the UI is in chinese or english. Some user aren't comfortable setting up the router in Chinese

2RStBi4.jpg

r8qLnbi.jpg

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, can check where most of you get the av3 pro from? Locally like shopee, lazada or from taobao? I see taobao price now is around $90+, that havent include shipping charges.

I got mine from Qoo10 last month: https://www.qoo10.sg/item/ORIGINAL-...PRO-WIFI-6-WIRELESS-ROUTER-3000MBPS/677938591

Price has increased to $100+ which I suspect is due to the chip shortage. Bought mine for $74 only.

adriankmf

Reaction score

Manage to get the router already? is an international or china version?

i plan to get 2 to form a mesh network, is real mesh and not repeater right?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Manage to get the router already? is an international or china version?
i plan to get 2 to form a mesh network, is real mesh and not repeater right?

It is a real mesh. But if you use wireless backhaul, take note it is dual band so the slave unit speed will suffer and make sure you have line of sight between the two.

Buy two China version units if you are not SingTel ONT users. The China version AX3 Pro has better signal than the International version called AX3 Quad Core.

If you are SingTel ONT users then you have to buy the international version as it has SingTel VLAN support.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Wolfmaster

Reaction score
Using AV3 pro since its launch.. with that price.. no complaints ..
but you need to access the router thru "Hi-Link" app as more function there... instead of accessing the router gateway directly..

I did face some issue with some old WiFi AC controller... everything else seems to work it well.
intend to keep it even M1 provide me with new router..

adriankmf

Reaction score
It is a real mesh. But if you use wireless backhaul, take note it is dual band so the slave unit speed will suffer and make sure you have line of sight between the two.

Buy two China version units if you are not SingTel ONT users. The China version AX3 Pro has better signal than the International version called AX3 Quad Core.

If you are SingTel ONT users then you have to buy the international version as it has SingTel VLAN support.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

i buy 2 units at the challenger, with SGD78 each.
promotion.

Below is my setup, but it shows as a repeater.

I test with only 1 Router, i get 800 Mbps.
When pair 2 routers together, the speed becomes 400Mbps

I suspect it is repeater mode and not mesh mode.
I press the H button on the router to pair it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i buy 2 units at the challenger, with SGD78 each.
promotion.
Below is my setup, but it shows as a repeater.
I test with only 1 Router, i get 800 Mbps.
When pair 2 routers together, the speed becomes 400Mbps
I suspect it is repeater mode and not mesh mode.
I press the H button on the router to pair it.
https://ibb.co/mGS4Yrq
Huawei-Repeater-mode.jpg

Mesh solution using wireless back haul for dual band mesh routers is like repeater in reality in case of speed. What you get is normal, because part of the bandwidth is used for wireless backhaul.

The advantage compared to repeater is that roaming is seamless as you only have one SSID and same password, unlike repeaters.

adriankmf

Reaction score
Mesh solution using wireless back haul for dual band mesh routers is like repeater in reality in case of speed. What you get is normal, because part of the bandwidth is used for wireless backhaul.

The advantage compared to repeater is that roaming is seamless as you only have one SSID and same password, unlike repeaters.
ohh,
ok. but repeater also can have the same SSID when u use the TPlink Repeater.

adriankmf

Reaction score
That is a fake one. You will not be able roam seamlessly with a repeater normally.

Take note TP-Link does have the OneMesh solution which works with selected router+repeater combination.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/product-list/
Ic... but this Huawei so much stable.
the only downside is the speed,
1 router = 800Mbps on my Samsung Galaxy tab S7+
2 router mesh = 120Mbps on my Samsung Galaxy tab S7+, on Desktop is 380Mbps

wonder why WiFi speed drop so much?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.