Huawei AX3 Pro - Anyone bought and tried?

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
I hope all the master here can help me.

I got myself a AX3 (dual core, non-pro) from TB. ISP is M1 using the Huawei ONT. I cannot cannot access to Internet by connecting the LAN port of the ONT direct to the AX3 LAN port. It can only work now by connecting from ONT to my TP Link router then to AX3. By using this method I am able to access to the AX3 web management page. Tried changing from DHCP to bridge (AP) mode without success. Are there any other settings to set on the AX3 or problem lies with the M1 ONT.

Anyone can advise how can I connect direct from ONT to my AX3 without going through my TP Link router?

call M1 support and request them you changing router need their help to reset your line.

Otherwise u can use their 1627 automation to do it for you. Someone posted the guide before

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Because there is a change of router you need to call M1 (via phone automation or speak to Support engineer) to reset your fiber profile.

Call 1627
Select 2 (BB svc)
Select 2 (Tech Assistant)
Select 5 (unable to connect to internet)
Select 1 (Network reset)
Enter your M1 account number (need your M1 bill)
Enter a mobile number (SMS u once it done)
0OmhTS1.jpg

Now try connect your Router and u new router should get a internet connection.

Found the steps to use automation

jorje22

Reaction score
Found the steps to use automation
Thank you all. I had called M1 technical support and they have reset the ONT for me. Problem solved.

BTW the above automation steps has changed so I spoke to their tech support instead.

Last edited:

HelIoo

Reaction score
Anyone manage to configure it as secondary ap as wired backhaul? Because i dont want to use it main router.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
i am looking to buy a back up router, and possibly upgrade my existing prolink prc3801.
i am currently on M1 fibre, would this router work?
https://www.ecapitamall.com/product/huawei-wifi-ax3-quad-core-router
i read that @xiaofan not recommending the ax3 for non singtel users, any particular reason?
is it due to the lack of 2.4ghz antenna?

thanks

Yes this router will work with M1.

Do take note that change of router for M1 would required m1 to reset your fiber line. Otherwise the new router cant get internet IP address. You can call M1 1627 or use the phone automation to reset your fiber line.

Some Singtel user need VLAN and this router don’t support VLAN.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am looking to buy a back up router, and possibly upgrade my existing prolink prc3801.
i am currently on M1 fibre, would this router work?
eCapitaMall | Huawei WiFi AX3 Quad-Core Router
HUAWEI WiFi AX3 Quad-core Wi-Fi 6 Plus Revolution 3,000 Mbps | HUAWEI Share | HUAWEI HomeSec™
favicon.ico

www.ecapitamall.com
i read that
@xiaofan
not recommending the ax3 for non singtel users, any particular reason?
is it due to the lack of 2.4ghz antenna?
thanks

I am not sure if this is the Global version which has SingTel VLAN, or the China version (AX3 Pro). It sounds like a global version but the cost is lower than the official Huawei Singapore shop (S$99?).

No matter which version, it will work for M1 users.

However, for non SingTel ONT users, like M1 user, I do not recommend Huawei AX3 Quad-Core Global version. China version (AX3 Pro) is better due to the better coverage for the 2.4GHz band (lack of external RF amplifier chip).

Avoid the China version of AX3 (dual core version) due to thermal and coverage issues. But it is okay as a mesh node.

Last edited:

bladez87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the Global version which has SingTel VLAN, or the China version (AX3 Pro). It sounds like a global version but the cost is lower than the official Huawei Singapore shop (S$99?).

No matter which version, it will work for M1 users.

However, for non SingTel ONT users, like M1 user, I do not recommend Huawei AX3 Quad-Core Global version. China version (AX3 Pro) is better due to the better coverage for the 2.4GHz band (lack of external RF amplifier chip).

Avoid the China version of AX3 (dual core version) due to thermal and coverage issues. But it is okay as a mesh node.
it the 5ghz not better than 2.4ghz?
i find that i can achieve higher speeds on 5ghz although the connection not as strong as my 2.4ghz.
i thought it was because my 5ghz antenna not strong which is why i thought of upgrading to this.
any reason why i should be concerned over a weaker 2.4ghz?
thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it the 5ghz not better than 2.4ghz?
i find that i can achieve higher speeds on 5ghz although the connection not as strong as my 2.4ghz.
i thought it was because my 5ghz antenna not strong which is why i thought of upgrading to this.
any reason why i should be concerned over a weaker 2.4ghz?
thanks

If you only concern about 5GHz, then probably AX3 Quad Core version is as good as the China version. But take note my personal experience is that AX3 Pro coverage is so so and therefore it could not cover effectively with 5GHz band for my 106sqm older 4-room HDB flat with thick walls. So I still needed to use 2.4GHz when I was using SingTel Mesh Router (main router with SingTel ONT) + AX3 Pro as an AP.

I have since upgraded to Asus RT-AX82U China version and it can cover the full flat with 5GHz signal. So indeed I disabled the 2.4GHz band of the RT-AX82U and use Singtel Mesh Router as an AP to cover the 2.4GHz band for a few legacy devices.

YMMV and maybe you will have better luck with AX3 Quad Core Global version or AX3 Pro.

Now I use the AX3 Pro as a wireless media bridge and it is pretty good. I do not have LAN ports in the rooms so majority of my devices are using wireless (and still use Powerline adapters for my Raspberry Pi 400).

lenkiatleong

Reaction score
I bought one AX3 as main router and maybe wants to buy another one or two AX3 as satellite hubs to put in rooms far away to form mesh system.
I understand that it will work if satellite AX3 hubs are wired directly into main router AX3 LAN ports. However, will they still work if i wired the satellite AX3 hubs to a switch first and from the switch to the router? Have you tried this?

In sum, the connection will look like this:

ONT->Modem->Main AX3->Switch->Satellite Ax3 hubs.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quick question: Can the AX3 Pro work as an wireless AP to another brand's router? Eg. AX3 Pro as an wireless AP connecting to a Asus router in AP mode that's connected to Singtel ONR.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the AX3 Pro good to replace my EA8100 as router/AP?

Do you have AX devices? If yes they will probably see improvement. You will not see much improvement for AC devices.

Huawei AX3 Pro : 2*2 AC 80MHz (up to 866Mbps) or 2*2 AX 160 MHz (up to 2402 Mbps) on the 5GHz band

Linksys EA8100 : 4*4 AC 80MHz on the 5GHz band, up to 1733 Mbps

Most of the AC devices are rated 2*2 AC 80MHz on the 5GHz band. Most of the AX devices are 2*2 AX 80MHz or 160MHz on the 5GHz band.

Xiaomi AX3600 may be a better upgrade since it supports 4*4 AC/AX 80MHz and 2*2 AX 160MHz on the 5GHz band.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes i prefer AC/AX on all dual /tri band instead of selected one

how many AX devices can u find in ur house......just like 4g vs 5g now

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes i prefer AC/AX on all dual /tri band instead of selected one

how many AX devices can u find in ur house......just like 4g vs 5g now

If no AX devices and existing AC router is good, no need to upgrade.

But when you need to upgrade, buy an AX router. IMHO Wifi 6 is already useful now. I have upgraded my laptop to Wifi 6 since the upgrade is really cheap (less than S$20) and performance gain is very significant. Then my Mac Mini M1 already comes with WiFi 6.

As for 4G phones versus 5G phones, if your existing 4G phone is good, no need to upgrade. But when you need to buy a new phone, probably you want to buy a 5G phone. We do not have 5G phones at home now.

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have AX devices? If yes they will probably see improvement. You will not see much improvement for AC devices.

Huawei AX3 Pro : 2*2 AC 80MHz (up to 866Mbps) or 2*2 AX 160 MHz (up to 2402 Mbps) on the 5GHz band

Linksys EA8100 : 4*4 AC 80MHz on the 5GHz band, up to 1733 Mbps

Most of the AC devices are rated 2*2 AC 80MHz on the 5GHz band. Most of the AX devices are 2*2 AX 80MHz or 160MHz on the 5GHz band.

Xiaomi AX3600 may be a better upgrade since it supports 4*4 AC/AX 80MHz and 2*2 AX 160MHz on the 5GHz band.
Dear Xiaofan, does that mean that it's actually better for me to use EA8100 since it's 4*4. I need to buy a new router because I've used my old DIR-868L for another subnet.

My current EA8100 is the main router but it's not located in a central part of my home, so I've put 2 old APs (in different spots) I used for travelling in place of my DIR-868L to cover the blind spots.

I was thinking of getting a AX3 Pro LAN wired from EA8100 and place it in a more centralized spot, turned off wireless on the EA8100 and use the AX3 Pro.

If I were to relocate the EA8100 to the centralized spot, I'll still need a router in its original spot.

What should I do?

How do we spot the difference between a AX3 Pro from non Pro when buying online?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Xiaofan, does that mean that it's actually better for me to use EA8100 since it's 4*4. I need to buy a new router because I've used my old DIR-868L for another subnet.
My current EA8100 is the main router but it's not located in a central part of my home, so I've put 2 old APs (in different spots) I used for travelling in place of my DIR-868L to cover the blind spots.
I was thinking of getting a AX3 Pro LAN wired from EA8100 and place it in a more centralized spot, turned off wireless on the EA8100 and use the AX3 Pro.
If I were to relocate the EA8100 to the centralized spot, I'll still need a router in its original spot.
What should I do?
How do we spot the difference between a AX3 Pro from non Pro when buying online?

IMHO you have a very messy setup in that case.

Bite the bullet and upgrade to mesh compatible routers, for example, using Asus, Huawei or Xiaomi.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. I rather spend the money and not to try to maximize the values of old routers. Others may help you better in this case.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.