I feel sad when I visit our Chinatown.

Yvaine

Master Member
Reaction score
Like Yong Tau Foo... the original one is really beancurd with minced pork and salted fish nia hor.. where got fish paste and so many pattern one..
obligatory gif :ROFLMAO:
lee-hsien.gif

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
Problem is a lot of the old hawkers all retire liao, now high price and poor quality food is the norm.

Iamnotib

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Our Chinatown is supposed to showcase our best food from our Chinese community. Food that we can identity with. Food that represents the story of our Chinese people.

In the 80s to even 90s it was still full of our local food. But now sadly alien PRC style Chinese food have taken over. It looks very much like Yokohama in Japan where non authentic China style Chinese food taking over.

Now still left abit at smith street hawker but soon, as our hawker retires and bring their recipe to the grave, the authentic local food will die out and then slowly but surely these alien food will conquer Chinatown.

Preserve our local food culture guys. Our YTF. Our carrot cake. Our roast meat. Out satay.
Taste will change with different generations. Our so called local food also evolved from the chinese dishes brought over by our ancestors, as well as new creations from resources more easily available here. So over time the tastes of the next and next next generations will also change. Now i see alot of young kids like to eat mala. I still prefer laksa with hum. :s13:
The only truism of food ish, want to survive, make sure it appeals to the people's tastebuds of the time.

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
Mosque Street used to have a few very good local dim sum restaurants (大东,南唐) and teochew restaurant (ah hoi), all but closed. Now the whole street are full of China restaurants full of China FTs,
Takpo

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
Taste will change with different generations. Our so called local food also evolved from the chinese dishes brought over by our ancestors, as well as new creations from resources more easily available here. So over time the tastes of the next and next next generations will also change. Now i see alot of young kids like to eat mala. I still prefer laksa with hum. :s13:
The only truism of food ish, want to survive, make sure it appeals to the people's tastebuds of the time.
Wise words

LPPLKPKB

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mosque Street used to have a few very good local dim sum restaurants (大东,南唐) and teochew restaurant (ah hoi), all but closed. Now the whole street are full of China restaurants full of China FTs,

used to have a fantastic Hakka Yong Tau Foo too

zheng

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Our Chinatown is supposed to showcase our best food from our Chinese community. Food that we can identity with. Food that represents the story of our Chinese people.

In the 80s to even 90s it was still full of our local food. But now sadly alien PRC style Chinese food have taken over. It looks very much like Yokohama in Japan where non authentic China style Chinese food taking over.

Now still left abit at smith street hawker but soon, as our hawker retires and bring their recipe to the grave, the authentic local food will die out and then slowly but surely these alien food will conquer Chinatown.

Preserve our local food culture guys. Our YTF. Our carrot cake. Our roast meat. Out satay.
nonchina food name china town for what

tissue paper

Banned
Reaction score

I love mainland chinese food.

im true blue sg. If I want local food, can go to any hawker center eat la….so simple also can’t understand?

Mr Totoro 38

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sg culture eroded a lot over last 20 years. Largely is due to the gov fiscal and foreign talent policies. Modernise and cosmopolitanise until lost our roots.

Bo pian la...
kena sell out is like that lor...

maybe another 10yrs or so. NO MORE lor any sinkies culture left
sighsss

Later if you want to reminisce sg culture can only do so in Youtube or pic lo

needhelpbadlynow

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

sinkapore lost all the chinese food le la. nao ish onli mala mala and more mala

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.