I feel sad when I visit our Chinatown.

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
Less local interest, less business, hawker jiak ga-ki(吃自己) , so they rather retire, right? Preserving the food culture also need financial support.

One of them is the 鱼生粥, fish parasite is one thing, but they couldn't get new generation to take over, the returns are not attractive enough.

Sabah and Sarawak from what I know most already owned their own stalls, they are only working for their own livings, over here, hawkers are already paying from $1,500 to $3,000+ per month in entry level rental, this is a huge difference.
Nothing about that. About continuity. Think. What i mean is sabah sarawak joined malaysia and their own culture language are dying.

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
Less local interest, less business, hawker jiak ga-ki(吃自己) , so they rather retire, right? Preserving the food culture also need financial support.

One of them is the 鱼生粥, fish parasite is one thing, but they couldn't get new generation to take over, the returns are not attractive enough.

Sabah and Sarawak from what I know most already owned their own stalls, they are only working for their own livings, over here, hawkers are already paying from $1,500 to $3,000+ per month in entry level rental, this is a huge difference.
My point is if you do not save your own culture. If you do not insist on preserving your own culture. Be it food or whatever..it will die its slow death. If you are a hakka and you do not preserve your own culture your own language...it will all perish one day. In this contemporary modern world we talk so much about progression and gettint rich but what about things we can to relate to? Identify with? Reasonate with? That is slowly disappearing? Maybe you are too young to know or remember but our chinatown in the 80s right up to the 90s were full of local heavenly delights. I am not talking about your chicken rice or meepok tah hor. I mean something unique..something authentic...something really traditional. 80% of them have been wiped out without any effort to preserve them and with our keeness to progress the society...we have actually lost a lot of these food that were part of our culture. Our Singapore culture. Our nanyang culture. Food that were developed, transformed and took on a new meaning here, in this part of the world, something you dont find it anywhere else..maybe the name u can but not how it taste. Cheers. We should stand up and defend our own food culture.

pclow59

Master Member
Reaction score
U mean u eat china food coz it is cheap?
Whether eat or not, is the local food if price gone up, will it be competitive to foreign food? You seem to simply said increase the price, make it an attractive career will solve the issue! Rental is killing a lot of business, not just hawker... They may have to move out of tourist spot like Chinatown to other place that cost less.

Last edited:

soarer

Banned
Reaction score

If you are a Peranakan you should stand up and defend, promote and preserve something that is part of your heritage. If you are a Bugis, you should do the same. All these are our identities.

iam7377

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Our Chinatown is supposed to showcase our best food from our Chinese community. Food that we can identity with. Food that represents the story of our Chinese people.

In the 80s to even 90s it was still full of our local food. But now sadly alien PRC style Chinese food have taken over. It looks very much like Yokohama in Japan where non authentic China style Chinese food taking over.

Now still left abit at smith street hawker but soon, as our hawker retires and bring their recipe to the grave, the authentic local food will die out and then slowly but surely these alien food will conquer Chinatown.

Preserve our local food culture guys. Our YTF. Our carrot cake. Our roast meat. Out satay.
You will have a higher chance to find local food in AMK or Buona Vista hawker center...

pclow59

Master Member
Reaction score
My point is if you do not save your own culture. If you do not insist on preserving your own culture. Be it food or whatever..it will die its slow death. If you are a hakka and you do not preserve your own culture your own language...it will all perish one day. In this contemporary modern world we talk so much about progression and gettint rich but what about things we can to relate to? Identify with? Reasonate with? That is slowly disappearing? Maybe you are too young to know or remember but our chinatown in the 80s right up to the 90s were full of local heavenly delights. I am not talking about your chicken rice or meepok tah hor. I mean something unique..something authentic...something really traditional. 80% of them have been wiped out without any effort to preserve them and with our keeness to progress the society...we have actually lost a lot of these food that were part of our culture. Our Singapore culture. Our nanyang culture. Food that were developed, transformed and took on a new meaning here, in this part of the world, something you dont find it anywhere else..maybe the name u can but not how it taste. Cheers. We should stand up and defend our own food culture.
If you are talking about to save our local food culture, especially Chinese, then no need to be just in Chinatown. Singapore is majority Chinese, so the whole country can be seen as a Big China town, as long as local people still support local food , it will be preserved.

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
If you are talking about to save our local food culture, especially Chinese, then no need to be just in Chinatown. Singapore is majority Chinese, so the whole country can be seen as a Big China town, as long as local people still support local food , it will be preserved.
No no. You need to see the chinatown in the 80s to know what it used to be...and how it has really went down hill and no one cares.

Aunt Dino

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All the while Chinatown is for Chinese immigrants one what. Last time the PRCs there become Singaporeans and moved out already, then new PRCs come in and set shop. And the cycle continues...

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Our Chinatown is supposed to showcase our best food from our Chinese community. Food that we can identity with. Food that represents the story of our Chinese people.

In the 80s to even 90s it was still full of our local food. But now sadly alien PRC style Chinese food have taken over. It looks very much like Yokohama in Japan where non authentic China style Chinese food taking over.

Now still left abit at smith street hawker but soon, as our hawker retires and bring their recipe to the grave, the authentic local food will die out and then slowly but surely these alien food will conquer Chinatown.

Preserve our local food culture guys. Our YTF. Our carrot cake. Our roast meat. Out satay.
Preserve our local food in our hawker centers, why must be in chinatown?? And satay is considered chinese food?

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
Dunno food don talk la. Skip this thread. Don waste my and your time.

kallangfishing

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still have local food. Smith st hawker center all local food wat. Hawker chan. The stalls at Chinatown complex and the wet market

Just walk past all the mainland China hotpot stalls can find local food liao

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.