IKOMA Japanese classes

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year for all IKOMA scholars!

Hope you enjoy the Japanese Language!! :D

sapporo

Reaction score
Strictest Sensei in Ikoma?

Hallo all,

Just started Advanced Class @ Ikoma recently. Would like to join a class where the teacher is strict, in the sense that he/she will not hesitate to point out your mistake. Also hope to attend a class where the teacher is more experienced and good at explaining the grammar points.

Currently, these are the teachers who are teaching this batch's advanced classes:

Ms Yamaguchi H
Ms Motobayashi
Ms Ito N
Ms Atarashi
Ms Hirata
Mr Nagai

TIA!

Lurker_13

Master Member
Reaction score
I have started beginners lessons, the Jap teacher doesn't really speak English, so kinda difficult to ask her questions. How ar? :s22:

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can try asking slowly in English, or ask experts here if you have anything that you don't understand.

Good Luck :D

Lurker_13

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ah keong. Are most Jap teachers like that in Ikoma? I am not sure but do students class "hop" to see which teacher can speak better English? I keep seeing new faces in my class for the past 2 lessons :s22:

Lurker_13

Master Member
Reaction score
What is the meaning of 'Ja'? Y do we add this to say
Ja arimasen or Ja sayonara or Ja mata ar?

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ah keong. Are most Jap teachers like that in Ikoma? I am not sure but do students class "hop" to see which teacher can speak better English? I keep seeing new faces in my class for the past 2 lessons :s22:

There are some teachers who have better command of the English language. But I think the aim is to try to reduce dependency of the first language to learn a third language a little at a time.

Good Luck! :D

always2306

Reaction score
Hi all,

May I know if oral is included in placement test? I passed my N3 but sad to say, my conversational skills is only at N4 level.

Thanks!

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
is ikoma the best place to take Japanese in Singapore?

For me, the pace of the syllabus in Ikoma is just right in a sense that you can keep up with the class as long as you are reasonably intelligent/dilligent.

But there are other factors such as:
1) Whether you can learn well with your Sensei
2) How much effort you put into doing homework and revision

Although Bunka for Basic classes is also a good idea because they expose you to many forms right from the start. Japanese is an agglutinative language so learning all the forms earlier is better than learning one form first and then branching out later.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I find Ikoma's approach well balanced (or classical) while covering many aspects of the Japanese language.

Bunka's approach is also good as they focus more on the grammar aspect at the beginning stages. The interest level is held high for students and motivation is kept high.

However, elementary students at Bunka is advised to do self study on other aspects like Vocabulary, Speech, Listening, etc and also self motivate.

Self motivation, self discipline and effort is key to studying 3rd language.

blurblur123

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello, come in here because I am interested in picking up this language... hope i am not late.

is level 1 very difficult?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.