Indian variant spreads easier but less deadly?

HeadQuarters

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you realize the number of ICU cases did not shot up as high as last year? Maybe the world has over-reacted to the Indian variant where it is spreading faster but less deadly like a seasonal flu?

Imagine they announce one kid in ICU or uplorry. Confirm jitao send Sinkieland into panic mode

100Yen

Banned
Reaction score
Imagine they announce one kid in ICU or uplorry. Confirm jitao send Sinkieland into panic mode
Yes of course. This is a scenario PAP and I wont want it. I will get bashed in this thread

I highly doubt because I geniuely believe this india strain is truely less deadly and could save humankind

nachtsid.er

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need oxygen means you in ICU already...

One point is vaccination which I already provided my counter-arguement
No not all oxygen therapy needs to go to icu , icu beds are a precious resource in hospitals and used as a last resort when patient can’t breathe on their own. The first signs of respiratory symptoms (medium) is a drop in SpO2 which if not addressed can lead to ARDS . So oxygen therapy is often given in a ward setting (can be covid/isolation ward) as support therapy to let patient’s own immune system fight off the virus - your immune system can’t do a proper job if you are constantly in need of oxygen in your blood. Those that developed ARDS in need of intubation and ventilators will then be moved to ICUs and more often than not put into induced coma.
India failed in the first line of therapy where mild cases developed into ARDS when everybody is scrambling for oxygen in the black market .

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I already provided my counter-argument for the vaccine. OKY said that less serious case is due to vaccination. But this India variant only came to Singapore for 1.5 weeks and our govt already have the scientific proof? I doubt so. They also mentioned vaccination help prevent covid. No sick no wear mask. You know what happened. Do you trust them?

The govt has vested interest to say due to vaccination. I highly doubt. I believe the india strain is really less deadly rather than due to vaccination

Read again what I wrote. Also consider what happen in India now, just a short-span, has unprecedented level of infection & deaths. Consider WHO & CDC did not say India covid situation, but to label "Indian variant a global concern", is not without a good reason.

100Yen

Banned
Reaction score
No not all oxygen therapy needs to go to icu , icu beds are a precious resource in hospitals and used as a last resort when patient can’t breathe on their own. The first signs of respiratory symptoms (medium) is a drop in SpO2 which if not addressed can lead to ARDS . So oxygen therapy is often given in a ward setting (can be covid/isolation ward) as support therapy to let patient’s own immune system fight off the virus - your immune system can’t do a proper job if you are constantly in need of oxygen in your blood. Those that developed ARDS in need of intubation and ventilators will then be moved to ICUs and more often than not put into induced coma.
India failed in the first line of therapy where mild cases developed into ARDS when everybody is scrambling for oxygen in the black market .
ok thanks. I am monitorring the hospitalised (stable) and (critical) numbers to see any high uptick due to new India variant

I dont think I am wrong on the india variant severity

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok thanks. I am monitorring the hospitalised (stable) and (critical) numbers to see any high uptick due to new India variant

I dont think I am wrong on the india variant severity

Great! appreciate your tracking the statistics & keep us posted. thks

SimpliCity2k

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes of course. This is a scenario PAP and I wont want it. I will get bashed in this thread

I highly doubt because I geniuely believe this india strain is truely less deadly and could save humankind

huh! si kar smljlpj sho holy sho goot!!??

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
Do you realize the number of ICU cases did not shot up as high as last year? Maybe the world has over-reacted to the Indian variant where it is spreading faster but less deadly like a seasonal flu?
Ahdoi!!!
Dun give the PAP ideas.
They may use this "less deadly" to bring in more of their favourites.

shredded

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
9AXDmRC.png

From ST.

R rate is 1.65 which is higher than the first wave (1.34) but mortality rate is lower0.6% vs 1.4%

Rhiannon

Reaction score
OYK was saying during his press conference ytd or day before that all those vaccinated not in icu..
I think what he said was all those vaccinated are not in a serious condition like needing oxygen. Hence, he then asked for everyone to go for the vaccination.

From this, I reason that those vaccinated have less lung damage.

100Yen

Banned
Reaction score
9AXDmRC.png

From ST.

R rate is 1.65 which is higher than the first wave (1.34) but mortality rate is lower0.6% vs 1.4%
So its proven! Less deathly. But I prefer the numbers from Singapore. India is too big and the numbers might not be accurate. Singapore is more transparent and tracking is more accurate

xdivider

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
because of the sheer numbers. percentage wise, it could be low
but again TS dun trust figures from CECA which is where those data come from..........

except maybe when it says what he wanna see........

Pearce

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
4f6104b8e5be28851649b32a3dcbce46

The Pfizer and Moderna Covid vaccines should remain highly effective against two coronavirus variants first identified in India, according to new research carried out by US scientists.

The lab-based study was carried out by the NYU Grossman School of Medicine and NYU Langone Center and is considered preliminary because it has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

"What we found is that the vaccine's antibodies are a little bit weaker against the variants, but not enough that we think it would have much of an effect on the protective ability of the vaccines," senior author Nathaniel "Ned" Landau told AFP on Monday.

The researchers first took blood from people who were vaccinated with either of the two shots, which are predominant in the United States and have been given to more than 150 million Americans.

They then exposed these samples in a lab to engineered pseudovirus particles that contained mutations in the "spike" region of the coronavirus, which were particular to either the B.1.617 or B.1.618 variants, first found in India.

Finally, that mixture was exposed to lab-grown cells, to see how many would become infected.

The engineered pseudovirus particles contained an enzyme called luciferase, which fireflies use to light up. Adding it to the pseudovirus makes it possible to tell how many cells are infected, based on light measurements.

Overall, for B.1.617 they found an almost four-fold reduction in the amount of neutralizing antibodies -- Y-shaped proteins the immune system creates to stop pathogens from invading cells. For B.1.618, the reduction was around three-fold.

"In other words, some of the antibodies now don't work anymore against the variants, but you still have a lot of antibodies that do work against the variants," said Landau.

"There's enough that do work that we believe that the vaccines will be highly protective," he added, because the overall levels remain well above those found in samples taken from people who recovered from infection with earlier unmutated virus.

But this kind of lab investigation cannot predict what the real world efficacy might look like -- that will have to be investigated through other studies.

The coronavirus is known to latch on to a particular receptor on human cells called ACE2, which it uses to force its entry.

Landau's team showed the Indian variants were able to bind more tightly to this receptor, like other variants of concern. This might be linked to its increased transmissibility compared to the original strain.

"Our results lend confidence that current vaccines will provide protection against variants identified to date," the team concluded.

However, they do not preclude the possibility that newer variants that are more resistant to vaccines will emerge -- highlighting the importance of widespread vaccination at the global level.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/pfizer-moderna-vaccines-effective-against-171414872.html

tiger2013

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
4f6104b8e5be28851649b32a3dcbce46

The Pfizer and Moderna Covid vaccines should remain highly effective against two coronavirus variants first identified in India, according to new research carried out by US scientists.

The lab-based study was carried out by the NYU Grossman School of Medicine and NYU Langone Center and is considered preliminary because it has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

"What we found is that the vaccine's antibodies are a little bit weaker against the variants, but not enough that we think it would have much of an effect on the protective ability of the vaccines," senior author Nathaniel "Ned" Landau told AFP on Monday.

The researchers first took blood from people who were vaccinated with either of the two shots, which are predominant in the United States and have been given to more than 150 million Americans.

They then exposed these samples in a lab to engineered pseudovirus particles that contained mutations in the "spike" region of the coronavirus, which were particular to either the B.1.617 or B.1.618 variants, first found in India.

Finally, that mixture was exposed to lab-grown cells, to see how many would become infected.

The engineered pseudovirus particles contained an enzyme called luciferase, which fireflies use to light up. Adding it to the pseudovirus makes it possible to tell how many cells are infected, based on light measurements.

Overall, for B.1.617 they found an almost four-fold reduction in the amount of neutralizing antibodies -- Y-shaped proteins the immune system creates to stop pathogens from invading cells. For B.1.618, the reduction was around three-fold.

"In other words, some of the antibodies now don't work anymore against the variants, but you still have a lot of antibodies that do work against the variants," said Landau.

"There's enough that do work that we believe that the vaccines will be highly protective," he added, because the overall levels remain well above those found in samples taken from people who recovered from infection with earlier unmutated virus.

But this kind of lab investigation cannot predict what the real world efficacy might look like -- that will have to be investigated through other studies.

The coronavirus is known to latch on to a particular receptor on human cells called ACE2, which it uses to force its entry.

Landau's team showed the Indian variants were able to bind more tightly to this receptor, like other variants of concern. This might be linked to its increased transmissibility compared to the original strain.

"Our results lend confidence that current vaccines will provide protection against variants identified to date," the team concluded.

However, they do not preclude the possibility that newer variants that are more resistant to vaccines will emerge -- highlighting the importance of widespread vaccination at the global level.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/pfizer-moderna-vaccines-effective-against-171414872.html
I somehow think the lab results don't match with real-life... Singapore could be an example.

I think MOH needs to release the numbers of first dose, second dose and fully vaccinated vs the number of infected with B1617/B1618.

It might still be protective - as in it reduces risk of severe illness so healthcare system will not be burdened, but we do not have such data as well (at least, not in the public).

Pearce

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I somehow think the lab results don't match with real-life... Singapore could be an example.

I think MOH needs to release the numbers of first dose, second dose and fully vaccinated vs the number of infected with B1617/B1618.

It might still be protective - as in it reduces risk of severe illness so healthcare system will not be burdened, but we do not have such data as well (at least, not in the public).
Actually why there are so many variant but not just 1 only?

What I assume is that different race has different type of cells in the body, although all are humans but it is because of the different cells that make many races.

So when the original covid19 virus enter to different bodies and met different cells, they mutated into different variant.

While the dose maybe invented through 1 type of body's cell (one dose for all) but not make for different type of races. That's why I guess people may still get affected after the dose is because those doses are not specially made for each races thus the lab results as you mentioned, is not for different races

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.