Insurance: 1 year or 2 years upfront?

Nuggette

Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking to renew insurance with Aviva and am presented with a choice of 1 year or 2 year policy.
What are basically the pro and cons of each option?
I guess i will lose out to an additional 10% of NCD if I choose 2 years and no claims?
On the flip side, if there is a claim on first year, my second year premium will not be affected?

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No ppl will buy 2 years

why u hope to claim during first year? Just drive carefully and gain that extra 10% ncd next year lah

Nuggette

Reaction score
that is what I thought.. but wanted to hear from the experts here too if I am missing some advantage to taking on 2 years.. :ROFLMAO:

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking to renew insurance with Aviva and am presented with a choice of 1 year or 2 year policy.
What are basically the pro and cons of each option?
I guess i will lose out to an additional 10% of NCD if I choose 2 years and no claims?
On the flip side, if there is a claim on first year, my second year premium will not be affected?
Look at the details....Ask this question to the insurer.

"I guess i will lose out to an additional 10% of NCD if I choose 2 years and no claims?"

Insurer have factor this into the premium if you buy 2 years plan.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Look at the details....Ask this question to the insurer.

"I guess i will lose out to an additional 10% of NCD if I choose 2 years and no claims?"

Insurer have factor this into the premium if you buy 2 years plan.
You think they do? Sure anyhow charge one.

elf108

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same as renew road tax, go for 6 mths not 1 year.

kebinu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already had 50% NCD, so 2 years is fine. I think there's additional discount with a 2-year plan. Saw this when I had 2 options for me.

Maybe it's like this. 1 year 1.1k, 2 years 1.9k.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already had 50% NCD, so 2 years is fine. I think there's additional discount with a 2-year plan. Saw this when I had 2 options for me.

Maybe it's like this. 1 year 1.1k, 2 years 1.9k.
Not worth it...

sigeena

Reaction score
For insurance, there is usually a discount for 2 years. It's not road tax.

If there isn't, then there's no incentive to purchase 2 years.

Insurance is competitive, so they need to incentivise your pruchase.

Road tax and COE are sole market supplier (Gahment) so there's no need to incentivise longer period.

blackestvoid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 yrs is not a bad idea provided its cheaper than with 50% ncd + ncd protection + early bird discount + loyalty discount + all nonsenses factored in
factoring in even if clean records + all these discounts premiums still increasing every year

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 yrs is not a bad idea provided its cheaper than with 50% ncd + ncd protection + early bird discount + loyalty discount + all nonsenses factored in
factoring in even if clean records + all these discounts premiums still increasing every year
They won't breakdown for you to see, so how to judge if what they say is true?

0bserver

Master Member
Reaction score
2 years contract upfront discount.

if 1st year kena accident u are safe from premium increase on 2nd year. u got 1 year to save for your 3rd year increase. lol

blackestvoid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They won't breakdown for you to see, so how to judge if what they say is true?
so far every year is premium increase even with all the ncd + loyalty + early bird rubbish
if can tie down current premium or lower is worth considering
see if can refund if cancel after 1 year that will be best

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so far every year is premium increase even with all the ncd + loyalty + early bird rubbish
if can tie down current premium or lower is worth considering
see if can refund if cancel after 1 year that will be best
Before I changed ride, my yearly premium remained the same under MSGI. I was paying the same premium + 15% for option of any workshop. It shouldn't increase much with inflation but I find the original insurer of the car will never hesitate to levy a huge increase yearly.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.