IPad keyboard cases

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
With last night’s announcement on the iPad OS15, figured most users will be on the hunt for keyboard/mouse to fully utilise the new features.

Personally, for me, having a keyboard case is very important (for work or sch) and fulfills the iPad full functionality, unless of course your iPad is purely for watching movies.

I’m tempted to the new Zagg Pro Keys (detachable), $170 inclusive of delivery from Amazon.

Have tried the following on the iPad Pro 11’

Original Apple Magic keyboard
Pros: Slim, compact, adjustable angle tilt
Cons: keyboard keys too thin, $400+

Benks Detachable Keyboard
Pros: Detachable, $80
Cons: 1-angle tilt, keyboard keys feels too light

Logitech Slim Folio Pro (using now)
Pros: good back-lit keyboard with very nice tactile feel, 2-angle tilt, well-rounded protection (slightly rugged)
Cons: thick & bulky, $140 (Krisshop on offer now)

Personally never found use for the trackpad, as i prefer using a Bluetooth mouse.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m also on Logitech’s Slim Folio Pro and I absolutely love it, no need for trackpad as I don’t use it and serves my needs with keyboard shortcuts and a really awesome keyboard. Can also use in different modes without having to remove the iPad from the case.

That’s not the same with Apple’s Magic Keyboard. Though slim profile and really good looking design, it only works in landscape mode as it’s designed to let the user have an almost laptop feel and if you want to game or read in portrait mode, the iPad has to be removed. In addition, sides are not protected at all and the Pencil is only secured via the magnets. If you carry it around in your hands, have to be very careful not to let anything knock it. Even in a bag, can sometimes displace the Pencil due to handling.

For Logitech’s Combo Touch, nice fabric covering with detachable keyboard and a kickstand for multiple angle adjustments for viewing. This is similar to when I was using the Slim Combo for my 2017 10.5 iPad Pro. The detachable keyboard is great if you’re just using the iPad for reading and gaming, but Apple Pencil is still just held on only by the magnet (no flap unlike the Slim Folio Pro right?)

The new Zagg one looks nice but have to wait for reviews too.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m also on Logitech’s Slim Folio Pro and I absolutely love it, no need for trackpad as I don’t use it and serves my needs with keyboard shortcuts and a really awesome keyboard. Can also use in different modes without having to remove the iPad from the case.
Surprised you gave up the Combo touch. Guses we both have the same exact opinions about using a trackpad. And yes, Logitech’s keyboard is really da best. In office, on the traditional windows laptop, i type w/o having to look at the keyboard. And yes, i can do the same easily on the ipad too.

Just to check, is there any setting to increase the amount of on-time that the back-lit stays on? Bit irritating that it goes off quickly and i have to trial and error for my 1st key entry. I under stand its on some battery saving mode, that turns off the back-lit when the keyboard is not in use. But its bit to fast for me.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surprised you gave up the Combo touch. Guses we both have the same exact opinions about using a trackpad. And yes, Logitech’s keyboard is really da best. In office, on the traditional windows laptop, i type w/o having to look at the keyboard. And yes, i can do the same easily on the ipad too.

Just to check, is there any setting to increase the amount of on-time that the back-lit stays on? Bit irritating that it goes off quickly and i have to trial and error for my 1st key entry. I under stand its on some battery saving mode, that turns off the back-lit when the keyboard is not in use. But its bit to fast for me.

There are no settings at all for the keyboard case, all are preset.

I didn’t consider the Combo Touch as I don’t find much of a need to spend that extra since I don’t use the trackpad. Maybe in future who knows, I might change my keyboard case but for now, the Slim Folio Pro fits my needs perfectly.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok, its been a about a month since i started using the Slim Folio Pro. And my review comments remain the same as earlier posting.

Here’s where it gets rather interesting …. I just purchased the Combo Touch. And here is my personal review based primarily on using it as work device.

Pros:
1. It’s slimmer & less bulky compared to the Slim FOLIO Pro.

2. The outer texture is really nice. Somewhat fabric type, but its not fabric. Cant put my finger on it really, but the texture is really cool.

3. Of course the fact that its detachable is a big PLUS in my account. Coupled with the texture of the case, its nice to hold in the hand.

4. The keyboard is different compared to the previous Slim Folio. The keys movement is thinner, and very similar to Apple’s Magic Keyboard. Honestly, i kinda prefer the Slim Folio keyboard.

5. Large trackpad, sensitive and very easy to scroll, click.

6. The support stand is very adjustable. Compared to the Slim Folio Pro which only 2 angles, this Combo Touch allows you to tilt the ipad in any angle.

Cons:
1. After 2 days, i‘m still touching the iPad instead of the trackpad. Haha .. yes, i know its silly, but its a habit. The trackpad is still something i can‘t get use to, especially since its so easy (and much faster) to simply tap on the screen.

2. Have serious concern over the support stand. It’s very firm now for sure, but over time, I’ve my doubts. There is nothing mechanical, and its reliance on the rigidity of the support flap is of concern. My guess is after 2 years, the support stand might lose its rigidity. I’m more sure.

3. Because of how the Combo Touch’s support stand functions, working on the Combo Touch takes up more space on my work desk. And worse, i cant use this on with the ipad on my lap or on small confined bar tables.

4. I do not feel secured relying on the magnetic function of the pencil on the iPad. On the previous Slim Folio, it had a flap that served as “cover” to ensure the pencil is secured.

Overall, the new Combo Touch is nice case with ability to detach the ipad (with a really nice back case).
Logitech’s keyboard is the best in the market, and it feels great. Although i kinda prefer the keyboard on the Slim Folio Pro. Am drafting this review on the Combo Touch, and I’ve actually had to correct some of my typos.

Am now thinking if i should really grab a Magic Keyboard or that Zagg ProKeys to do another comparison.

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok, its been a about a month since i started using the Slim Folio Pro. And my review comments remain the same as earlier posting.

Here’s where it gets rather interesting …. I just purchased the Combo Touch. And here is my personal review based primarily on using it as work device.

Pros:
1. It’s slimmer & less bulky compared to the Slim FOLIO Pro.

2. The outer texture is really nice. Somewhat fabric type, but its not fabric. Cant put my finger on it really, but the texture is really cool.

3. Of course the fact that its detachable is a big PLUS in my account. Coupled with the texture of the case, its nice to hold in the hand.

4. The keyboard is different compared to the previous Slim Folio. The keys movement is thinner, and very similar to Apple’s Magic Keyboard. Honestly, i kinda prefer the Slim Folio keyboard.

5. Large trackpad, sensitive and very easy to scroll, click.

6. The support stand is very adjustable. Compared to the Slim Folio Pro which only 2 angles, this Combo Touch allows you to tilt the ipad in any angle.

Cons:
1. After 2 days, i‘m still touching the iPad instead of the trackpad. Haha .. yes, i know its silly, but its a habit. The trackpad is still something i can‘t get use to, especially since its so easy (and much faster) to simply tap on the screen.

2. Have serious concern over the support stand. It’s very firm now for sure, but over time, I’ve my doubts. There is nothing mechanical, and its reliance on the rigidity of the support flap is of concern. My guess is after 2 years, the support stand might lose its rigidity. I’m more sure.

3. Because of how the Combo Touch’s support stand functions, working on the Combo Touch takes up more space on my work desk. And worse, i cant use this on with the ipad on my lap or on small confined bar tables.

4. I do not feel secured relying on the magnetic function of the pencil on the iPad. On the previous Slim Folio, it had a flap that served as “cover” to ensure the pencil is secured.

Overall, the new Combo Touch is nice case with ability to detach the ipad (with a really nice back case).
Logitech’s keyboard is the best in the market, and it feels great. Although i kinda prefer the keyboard on the Slim Folio Pro. Am drafting this review on the Combo Touch, and I’ve actually had to correct some of my typos.

Am now thinking if i should really grab a Magic Keyboard or that Zagg ProKeys to do another comparison.

I've also recently changed to the Combo Touch too bro. Once you use it, just can't go back to the Slim Folio Pro.

The Magic Keyboard is too expensive for the features it has, it's just a keyboard for the iPad Pro and Air. The Combo Touch is simply perfect!

Last edited:

babywoolf

Reaction score
When I use the combo touch trackpad to scroll, sometime it will stop responding. I need to press the spacebar to reactivate it. Does anybody have this issue?

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I use the combo touch trackpad to scroll, sometime it will stop responding. I need to press the spacebar to reactivate it. Does anybody have this issue?

Nope, mine’s fine.

Did you update to the latest firmware via Logitech Control app? It addresses some trackpad issues. On the screen tap Q+W+E+Option and update the firmware.

babywoolf

Reaction score
Nope, mine’s fine.

Did you update to the latest firmware via Logitech Control app? It addresses some trackpad issues. On the screen tap Q+W+E+Option and update the firmware.
Yes. I had updated to the latest firmware. I had contacted logitech for support.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.