iPhone Chinese Entertainment Apps

nicepal

Reaction score
Continue my research, use Android as a starting point to see if there is a counterpart for iOS.

Search App Store for “rss player” and found the following :
Rss video player
Rss media reader
Media Feed City

Then you need to use google to see how to add channels for dramas or anime.

I am using this for most drama..... there are also movies... but may not be new ones though.. so far so good.

another one for android of iOs can try WatchMe or WatchMeAsia.. think can watch on webpage as well....

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Taiwan TV program.

民视线上 is the free iOS app for seven live TV channels supported by ads for 民视, including Drama, news and info. Some of the programs are in Hokkien.

Fain TV got free live TV sections for Taiwan Live TV and paid sections

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Three free apps for Hong Kong related news stuff if you understand Cantonese

RTHK Screen, Live TV for two RTHK news channels

RTHK Go, many PodCasts, I personally like the 铿锵集 in Cantonese.

NowTV 新闻 by PCCW. You need Hong Kong VPN for the two live TV news channels

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HK Radio 香港人的电台, free iOS app for live radio in Hong Kong

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Drama I use youku, very good.
Music I use Xiami. :)

FYI if you have Taobao (probably with Chinese Taobao account and you spend quite some money on Taobao) you can get the 88VIP for RMB 88 (S$17.6) a year and then activate Youku and Xiami VIP for a year.

If you pay through Apple app store then the cost will be higher. S$44.98 a year for Youku membership and S$21.98 per year for Xiami Music VIP. Still worth paying.

On the other hand, for music, Xiami free version is good in Singapore. For paid version, I will say QQ Music is better, S$25.98 for 12 month 绿钻 should be a better choice than Xiami Music VIP. There is also the cheaper 付费音乐包 S$1.48 per month and the more expensive 绿钻豪华版 at S$38.98 per year.

Edit to add: I thought I paid for the cheaper QQ Music 绿钻 but then I just checked I actually paid RMB180 (S$36) using WeChat Pay under Android for the 绿钻豪华版, (usable under both iOS and Android). In reality the 绿钻豪华版's extra perks are not so useful in Singapore so the cheaper 绿钻 is probably good enough.

Last edited:

RocketBunny

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FYI if you have Taobao (probably with Chinese Taobao account) you can get the 88VIP for RMB 88 (S$17.6) a year and then activate Youku and Xiami VIP for a year.

If you pay through Apple app store then the cost will be higher. S$44.98 a year for Youku membership and S$21.98 per year for Xiami Music VIP. Still worth paying.

On the other hand, for music, Xiami free version is good in Singapore. For paid version, I will say QQ Music is better, S$25.98 for 12 month 绿钻 should be a better choice than Xiami Music VIP. There is also the cheaper 付费音乐包 S$1.48 per month and the more expensive 绿钻豪华版 at S$38.98 per year.

Edit to add: I thought I paid for the cheaper QQ Music 绿钻 but then I just checked I actually paid RMB180 (S$36) using WeChat Pay under Android for the 绿钻豪华版, (usable under both iOS and Android). In reality the 绿钻豪华版's extra perks are not so useful in Singapore so the cheaper 绿钻 is probably good enough.

Thanks for the input appreciate it

I using iOS so pay thru the app. Xiami VIP is 88yuan for a year. So not bad. Exchange rate differs?

Youku free version still bearable with the ads and one slot download. Wait till the day I cannot tahan then maybe get vip. For now got free vip for check in per day :)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input appreciate it

I using iOS so pay thru the app. Xiami VIP is 88yuan for a year. So not bad. Exchange rate differs?

Youku free version still bearable with the ads and one slot download. Wait till the day I cannot tahan then maybe get vip. For now got free vip for check in per day :)

Yes that is probably because of exchange rate differences.

Just take note it is said if you use the Taobao VIP route (cheapest way to get Youku VIP, plus Xiami VIP), you have to activate through Android first and then you can use it under iOS. That was I did and I can see my VIP status in iOS for both Xiami and Youku.

One thing about Youku free version is that you need VPN or unblock youku or smart dns.

Last edited:

RocketBunny

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes that is probably because of exchange rate differences.

Just take note it is said if you use the Taobao VIP route (cheapest way to get Youku VIP, plus Xiami VIP), you have to activate through Android first and then you can use it under iOS. That was I did and I can see my VIP status in iOS for both Xiami and Youku.

One thing about Youku free version is that you need VPN or unblock youku or smart dns.

Oh I get what you meant le.

Went to see tb VIP can open up alot vip for many of their apps too.. thanks!

Any idea why need on Android first ah?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No idea. This is what I read from the Internet. I happen to change my main phone to Android so I activated VIP on my Huawei P20 first.

Ref:
https://www.zhihu.com/question/299512105/answer/527164331

I believe it is also not easy to get qualified for 88VIP for most of the people here in Singapore.

Firstly I believe you have to have Chinese version of Taobao/Alipay to qualify. Basically you will need to have a China bank account and Chinese mobile phone number. In my case we use my father in law's account to set up.

Secondly the normal price for Taobao 88VIP is actually RMB888 per year. For avid Taobao buyers then the cost goes down to RMB88.

In my case, my wife spent quite a lot on Taobao in 2018, much more than RMB888 anyway.

https://www.kaitao.cn/article/20180809110220.htm
开通条件:

1)淘气值不够1000分的用户直接选择“888元开通”;

2)淘气值大于等于1000分的用户,只要88元就可以开通;

时限都是一年,如果超过时限,重新开通便可!

这些app会员通享:

价值198元的优酷vip、价值108元的饿了么超级会员、价值192元的淘票票全国卡、价值128元的虾米超级vip

Last edited:

Levitating

Reaction score
Go to Google and download 影音先锋 iOS. Need to enable trust for the developer then can down 影音先锋. I used the app for 4years+. Every movie every drama you name it. They have it. Very very nice app

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go to Google and download 影音先锋 iOS. Need to enable trust for the developer then can down 影音先锋. I used the app for 4years+. Every movie every drama you name it. They have it. Very very nice app

If you trust the app developer then by all means go for it.

I will not do this myself on an iOS device -- no jailbreak, no apps from non-Apple-App-Store. Just my own preferences.

If the apps are from a different region of Apple App Store then that is still acceptable --- you can create an Apple ID for that region since the apps are at least vetted by Apple. But in this case it is a 3rd party app which has been kicked out of Apple App Store -- not sure about the reason though.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take note Youku has three tiers of VIP.

Price is for reference only. I am not into Sports so the info may not be so accurate for sports.

1) 优酷VIP. Good for iPhone and iPad and Android Phone/tablets, up to 1080p HDR. No need to use VPN after paying. Still they may prompt you to switch to overseas version which may have less content. Just do not allow it to access content and say no to switch.

RMB118 per year now, usual price RMB198 per year.

2) 优酷TV or 酷喵影视VIP. Good for smart TV or Android TV boxes, 1080p/4k supported. Also supports lower tier Youku VIP functions. No need to use VPN after paying. Still they may prompt you to switch to overseas version which may have less content. Just do not allow it to access content and say no to switch.

App can be downloaded from Dangbei market or Youku website.
https://pd.youku.com/CIBN?screen=phone

So if you have Android smart TV or TV boxes, you should buy the 酷喵影视 VIP and install 酷喵影视 apk.

Price varies from time to time. Now it is almost the same for the first two tiers -- RMB198 a year for Youku VIP and RMB199-239 for 酷喵. Normally 酷喵VIP will cost more. Usual price RMB399 per year.

BTW, Taobao 88 VIP is only for Youku VIP, and now it costs about RMB120 a year to upgrade to 酷喵 VIP.

3) PP 体育, for sports. iOS version is from Apple App Store. Android phone version app is from its web site. TV version is called CIBN 聚体育 for Android TV boxes which can be downloaded from Dangbei Market. Not so sure if you need VPN or not. I tend to think you will need VPN.

PP体育VIP price depends on the things you like. EPL 英超 is RMB40 per month. Europe Soccer VIP is RMB60 per month now but usual price is RMB90.

PP体育高级会员 is RMB 98 per month now (usual price RMB150 per month) or RMB998 per year now (usual price RMB1498).

Ref: http://vip.pptv.com/sports

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
VIP for Tencent Video腾讯视频, you need VPN

Three tiers of VIP

Note: price is for reference only and it may vary due to currency exchange fluctuations and promotion. I am not into Sports so info about Sports may not be accurate.

1) one for mobile phone and tablet (iOS and Android), up to 1080p
腾讯视频VIP under iOS
19 RMB per month, 53RMB per quarter, 208 RMB per year for auto subscription

If paying one time under iOS
25 RMB per month, 68 RMB per quartet and
233RMB per year.

It is a bit cheaper to pay under Android.
178 RMB per year for subscription and 208 RMB per year for one time payment.

2) The other tier is the above plus the TV version for Android TV boxes and Smart TV. 1080p and some 4K contents. The app is called 腾讯视频TV(云视听极光) and it is available in Dangbei market or directly from its website.

http://tv.qq.com/

超级影视VIP
30 RMB per month, 88 RMB per quarter, 348 RMB per year for auto subscription

If paying one time
50 RMB per month, 148 RMB per quartet and 488 RMB per year.

3) If you need Sport, then it is called 腾讯体育VIP. You can download the app from Apple App Store and the pay using in app purchase.
https://sports.qq.com/vip/

Android phone app download which seems to work on TV boxes as well.
https://sports.qq.com/kbs/m.htm

Confusion is that Tencent Video TV version 云视听极光 so got sports content. You may want to double check.

腾讯体育普通会员
RMB22 per month now.
S$6.98 per month and S$15.98 for three months if paying through iOS

腾讯体育高级会员
RMB60 per month now

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Edit on 7-Nov-2019, no longer valid for the mobile/tablet international version. VIP price is higher now but no longer need VPN. Please refer to post #87.

VIP for iQiYi 爱奇艺, you need VPN

VIP tiers
Price is for reference only and it may vary due to currency exchange fluctuations and promotion. I am not into sports so the info about Sports may not be accurate.

1) For mobile phone and tablet (iOS and Android), up to 1080p

iQiYi 黄金VIP under iOS
S$3.98 per month, S$11.48 per quartet and
S$42.98 per year for auto subscription

If paying one time under iOS
S$5.98 per month, S$14.98 per quartet and
S$55.98 per year for one time payment

2) VIP for TV

The app is for Android TV boxes and Smart TV, called 银河奇异果.

http://app.iqiyi.com/tv/player/
You need the 钻石VIP.

RMB 49.8 a month, RMB120 for three months and RMB 360 a year.

Edit to add: WARNING: you need a Chinese mobile phone number in order to register for the TV version.

3) iQiyi Sports 爱奇艺体育
App for Android can be downloaded from web site.
http://www.ssports.com/app/
http://m.ssports.iqiyi.com/shop/index.html?source=xinying
RMB148 for 12 month now.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For free version, ads supported Transocks free may be better than SpeedIn free line in my experiences.

For paid version SpeedIn may be a bit cheaper.

Note: VPN performance and price may vary from time to time. Price is for reference only.

1) SpeedIn 快帆 VPN VIP

Often they have promotions

Now S$9 for 30days

S$20 for 90 days and you get 90days free, so it is S$20 for 180 days

S$52 for 360 days and you get 360 days free, so it is S$52 for 720 days.

2) Transocks Pro (transmoon)
S$7 for 30days
S$17 for 90 days
S$64 for 360 days

3) Transocks free version remove ads
S$4.5 to S$33

Last edited:

ahger_2311

Reaction score
i am interested in subscribing for 酷喵影视VIP as it does not need vpn and can be used on both tv and laptop/pc

my question is, do i sign up via iphone or via browser on pc? and how do i get the apk?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am interested in subscribing for 酷喵影视VIP as it does not need vpn and can be used on both tv and laptop/pc

my question is, do i sign up via iphone or via browser on pc? and how do i get the apk?

You can sign up using iPhone or Android Phone or browser for all three tiers of VIP, including 酷喵影视 VIP, just the payment method will be different.

If you pay through iPhone it will go through Apple App Store and it is slightly more expensive at RMB208 a year now (usual price RMB418) which will be converted to S$45.98 and charge to your credit card linked to your Apple ID.

If you pay through Android phone or Browser, you can pay through Alipay and Wechat Pay and the price is now at RMB199 (usual price RMB399).

Apk for Android TV Box or TV
https://pd.youku.com/CIBN
https://m.dangbei.com/wap-view-5145.html

If you do not have either Alipay or WeChat Pay, paying through iOS is more convenient.

Disclaim: I use Taobao 88VIP to activate my normal Youku VIP. I do not have 酷喵影视VIP myself. But there is a report in a Facebook group that it works in Android TV box (Nvidia Shield TV) with 1080p and 4k support, without VPN. YMMV.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.