Is 80K salary a year alot?

mistersatki_

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
80k gross translates to around $5450 take home per month. If I am earning that amount

$800 Parents allowance
$1200 Cash saving for housing downpayment in 5-6 years time
$1500 Investment for retirement
$250 Insurance premium
$500 Cash savings for overseas holiday/unexpected expenses/toys/hobbies
$200 Entertainment/Drinking/outing with friends

Means only left $1000 for daily transport, phone bill, other bill, and food. Also means the only affordable food is still cai png everyday.........

And this is as a single
Yup this is correct

disavowed

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
80k gross translates to around $5450 take home per month. If I am earning that amount

$800 Parents allowance
$1200 Cash saving for housing downpayment in 5-6 years time
$1500 Investment for retirement
$250 Insurance premium
$500 Cash savings for overseas holiday/unexpected expenses/toys/hobbies
$200 Entertainment/Drinking/outing with friends

Means only left $1000 for daily transport, phone bill, other bill, and food. Also means the only affordable food is still cai png everyday.........

And this is as a single
I seriously wonder how people earning 2-3K per month even survive

boringLife-

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I seriously wonder how people earning 2-3K per month even survive
My friends who are earning 3k per month does not have to give parents allowance and has boyfriend to pay for their expenses.

One female friend told me her actual spending is only $500 per month

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My friends who are earning 3k per month does not have to give parents allowance and has boyfriend to pay for their expenses.

One female friend told me her actual spending is only $500 per month
The former actually able to save up equivalent to those that earn around 5k per month, since her expenses paid for by bf and she don't need allowance. Huge win.

As for the latter, I think it's only possible if family cook dinner at home and spends mostly on lunch at work, with occasional weekend meetings to eat at cheap restaurants. Not much expenses for entertainment/hobbies. Maybe invest in a cheap gym like Activesg and that's about it.

Bam25th

Master Member
Reaction score
I make $242,840 a year and I still don't have car and live in HDB.
That is a personal choice.

My ex boss also take public transport to work, cause he don’t have a license and has too low confidence to learn to drive 😂😂
And he earns more than you too….

KuroI-Kaze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
80k a year is quite average bah

but it depends also on how much u have sacrificed for your annual salary

thomaschong1984

Reaction score
I am single with 6 digits annually and I still don’t think it’s enough for me. 6 digits annually with 2 kids is just a nightmare on the expenses.

to have 2 kids, $15k a month is probably just getting by.
IKR. I am nearing 7 digits and still find that its not enough.

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
depend on age, committment too. if you have a family, stay-home wife, enrichment for children, that is barely enough.

if you are single, dont intend to get married and want to possess the 5Cs in life, just enough. but gotta save.

in short, 80k is not high in today's standard when you see HDB crossing million mark like nobody business

boringLife-

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
depend on age, committment too. if you have a family, stay-home wife, enrichment for children, that is barely enough.

if you are single, dont intend to get married and want to possess the 5Cs in life, just enough. but gotta save.

in short, 80k is not high in today's standard when you see HDB crossing million mark like nobody business
Yes with 80k I feel you still have to plan your lifestyle carefully. E.g. cannot keep on going out with friends, go out dating with girls in restaurant every other night, take a $40 grab ride need to think twice etc..

But once you cross 100k, you dont have to worry about the above. So long you keep your ambition to hdb and maybe a japanese car.

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes with 80k I feel you still have to plan your lifestyle carefully. E.g. cannot keep on going out with friends, go out dating with girls in restaurant every other night, take a $40 grab ride need to think twice etc..

But once you cross 100k, you dont have to worry about the above. So long you keep your ambition to hdb and maybe a japanese car.
frankly, 100k for a family, hdb and a jap car, barely enough too. but cannot hiam too much, jus make do with whatever we have.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If we take into account 3% annual inflation, it should be approximately 100k for discussion this year instead of 80k in 2013...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.