Is 80K salary a year alot?

crazycow

Banned
Reaction score
I am earning $80k/annum, driving a renewed COE car, still manageable. Car/COE price is one thing, it is the ever rising Petrol prices that are killing all Vehicle owners. I am going to SPC for my 95 cos it is the cheapest at $2.49/litre. 😬

Single, no wife no kids to feed, I would say I am pretty comfortable with my life. Can go holidays twice a year, can jiak restaurant once every week, rest of the meals I usually eat at Hawkers and Coffeeshops. After deducting allowance for my mum and all the expenses, I can still set aside and transfer 1.5k to my rainy day account.
Got gf and do you have your own property?

Elfblade

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got gf and do you have your own property?
Currently no GF, hoping to find one. I successfully applied for a 2-room BTO in Punggol b4 my celery exceeded the cap. Still waiting for my unit as it has been delayed, was supposed to complete by Q2 this year, haiz.

crazycow

Banned
Reaction score
Currently no GF, hoping to find one. I successfully applied for a 2-room BTO in Punggol b4 my celery exceeded the cap. Still waiting for my unit as it has been delayed, was supposed to complete by Q2 this year, haiz.
Nice, hope you get your house and gf soon

fortunecat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's an amount that can actually give you a generally comfortable life, but it's enough for you to save significantly. So once you lose this job, your lifestyle need to downgrade probably pretty soon

sAVaGEmP5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why here so many negative mentality. Issit by saying ppl 200k and in debt u feel more shiok ? Use science to think not heart.

Firstly, most in debt are houses n properties and they r assets. Tats why bank is willing to loan u money cos its a asset. If u say buy car im speechless.

2ndly, expenses can easily cut back n change. But earnings can maintained. Once cut back the savings is so much. If a person earning 200k decide to spend only 120k tis yr, he will be left with 80k, more than enuff money to teh those earning 80k only.

3rd, how many earning 200k will splurge? Out of 100 how many ? The 200k not drop from sky, those who truly earn it will protect it. Only those who splurge r those who dont sweat the heart n tears. Furthermore, ppl dun start at 200k, they prob start low n work upwards.

In short dun give urself excuses if u earn less, unless u have some deficiencies or learning disabilities

crazycow

Banned
Reaction score
Why here so many negative mentality. Issit by saying ppl 200k and in debt u feel more shiok ? Use science to think not heart.

Firstly, most in debt are houses n properties and they r assets. Tats why bank is willing to loan u money cos its a asset. If u say buy car im speechless.

2ndly, expenses can easily cut back n change. But earnings can maintained. Once cut back the savings is so much. If a person earning 200k decide to spend only 120k tis yr, he will be left with 80k, more than enuff money to teh those earning 80k only.

3rd, how many earning 200k will splurge? Out of 100 how many ? The 200k not drop from sky, those who truly earn it will protect it. Only those who splurge r those who dont sweat the heart n tears. Furthermore, ppl dun start at 200k, they prob start low n work upwards.

In short dun give urself excuses if u earn less, unless u have some deficiencies or learning disabilities
Similarly, it's easier to dismiss earning higher salary than to actually get to a higher salary

coocoonana

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think we can just look at the absolute figure of 80k to decide whether it is alot, need to take into account the person's age, lifestyle, status and many other status. To a single 25 years old 80k is alot, but to a mid 40s married person that is the sole income provider 80k is not really alot.
r there many families that are like that? sole provider w 80k pa salary.. genuine question..

bala_shiva

Reaction score
r there many families that are like that? sole provider w 80k pa salary.. genuine question..
Not sure if there are many, but one of my friend is in such a family. Her father is the the sole provider, mum is a house wife. Family of 4 children. They are a Chinese family, just in case some here will automatically assume the race, judging by the number of children.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Trivia: The 200k in debt is probably laughing at you and us in his penthouse

When company go bust, use your money to bailout

virtualape

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
enough for single. definitely not enough to get married and provide comfortably for kids and wife.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.