is it bad for battery to use iphone while charging?

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some research shows the higher temp will shorten the battery lifespan.
While charging and using simultaneously may increase the load on the battery and thus higher temp... but 100% of us already concurrently charging a laptop and draining it... so ?

Suspect more deadly is the wireless charging... is convenient to interrupt the charging and pickup the phone to use... thus exhausting the "limited" charge cycle quickly... that where an advance BMS will make a difference... by optimising charging and draining cycles

Would suggest just use that best fits your habit and maximise the returns, they are just another consumable when spoil just replace it...Phone is highly commoditised these days.....

Last edited:

Tp101s

Reaction score
If you have to use it, you have to use it. Why add more restrictions over life and definitely not over the usage of a phone/charger.

boba_fett

Master Member
Reaction score
use it however you want, it isn't that expensive to change a new battery if required 3-4 years down the road

irbadboyz

Reaction score
any expert views on this?

Using the phone while it is charging is definitely not the ideal scenario, and most testing around reliability of smart phones are not made under such circumstances.

Then again, these days even when I drive, my windscreen phone holder has wireless charging on it. Since there is air-conditioning in the car, the phone temperature is always cool.

Not sure what this does to the charge cycle though. Does it shorten it, or is there no effect?

Two main things to consider:
1) Does it affect the charging cycle?
2) Does the excess heat damage the phone?

boliao45

Reaction score
Like what warehaws says, just use it as you like and don’t do the following things
1) drain battery until fully flat
2) leaving it plugged in for long hours even when the battery is fully charged

If you using the phone while charging, and phone is heating up, stop using and let it cool down.

not true...

just enjoy your phone

Last edited:

JellyPudding

Reaction score
Frankly I personally feel that if Battery life is a concern. It might not just only about the wear and tear? It also depends on the application that you run on it.

No doubt the more you use it the faster it drain especially mobile games. But when I’m playing games I always keep my phone charged as I might need to be on the move and the next time I see a wall socket it will be a problem.

To add on. So far my battery health is still considered healthy to date after using it for more than 6months.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Frankly I personally feel that if Battery life is a concern. It might not just only about the wear and tear? It also depends on the application that you run on it.

No doubt the more you use it the faster it drain especially mobile games. But when I’m playing games I always keep my phone charged as I might need to be on the move and the next time I see a wall socket it will be a problem.

To add on. So far my battery health is still considered healthy to date after using it for more than 6months.

It’s like diff concern?

One is how much capacity it can hold, the other is how fast it will be used up

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.