Is it fair to force people to buy bundle?

njstone9

Reaction score
Since I spend so much time on the plane, let me calculate the price of protector + iPad mini vs price of both items separately.

If I can find any irregularity in tax computation, maybe I will contact IRAS. Now I still cannot be sure

I just got a reply. See below. I told them Terminal 2 but that was irrelevant.

Dear Mr. Nicholas Stone,

Thank you for your valuable feedback sent on 22 December 2012.

We are sorry that you had an unpleasant time at the airport. In order to serve you better in future, we would like to find out more details about your experience.

Could you tell us in which iStudio were you at during your purchase? Were you in Terminal 2 or Terminal 3?

We hope to hear from you soon so that we can improve and serve our customers better.

Yours sincerely,
Siti Raihanah (Ms)
Changi Contact Centre

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just got a reply. See below. I told them Terminal 2 but that was irrelevant.

Dear Mr. Nicholas Stone,

Thank you for your valuable feedback sent on 22 December 2012.

We are sorry that you had an unpleasant time at the airport. In order to serve you better in future, we would like to find out more details about your experience.

Could you tell us in which iStudio were you at during your purchase? Were you in Terminal 2 or Terminal 3?

We hope to hear from you soon so that we can improve and serve our customers better.

Yours sincerely,
Siti Raihanah (Ms)
Changi Contact Centre

Nicholas, let us link up using email as well. I am on my way to airport. Keep in touch

Opiniontoconsider

Reaction score
You wrote to Airport authority and they asked you for meeting. Why don't you attend? I would cos then I will know the truth. If airport approves of such business approaches, then it is right or wrong? just cos they approve does not mean you should not attend the meeting isn't it?

Opiniontoconsider

Reaction score
Next time if anyone buys from I studio, they demand u to buy with bundle. Film it down as evidence. Then go to case to make a report. Case will take action because this is not under TemaSICK.
Demand is wrong and I would report. Whichever retailers demand is wrong cos it limits our freedom to choose. I agree but we must first determine if it is really a demand or a sale promotion which we have the choice of not buying

skipper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
new registerd member came in to debate over this "issue" smell fishy :s13:

skipper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's the prob Skipper? New member cannot debate? Is this a private club....or is new member only allow to agree all the time? Let me know ya Skipper

since you know this is not a private club i also have the right to post what i want,so what is your problem then ? and why are you so sensitive over my comment ?

skipper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
some mention re-seller insider,smell fishy or is it confirm he is indeed the fish ? :s13:

palmtungsten

Reaction score
some mention re-seller insider,smell fishy or is it confirm he is indeed the fish ? :s13:

Think he only attacks and comments the same issue "complain about bundle" from his few postings (and not other threads) and a new registered member some more.. Tat is why suspicious lah..

skipper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think he only attacks and comments the same issue "complain about bundle" from his few postings (and not other threads) and a new registered member some more.. Tat is why suspicious lah..

ya lor that is why i said he smell fishy,like what you say he only attack and comments on the 2 threads only.

njstone9

Reaction score
Demand is wrong and I would report. Whichever retailers demand is wrong cos it limits our freedom to choose. I agree but we must first determine if it is really a demand or a sale promotion which we have the choice of not buying

Leave him be. Whatever his opinion may be, he is entitled to voice it.

In this particular case, the shop has made it abundantly clear on numerous occasions to numerous different customers that the policy is final with no compromise. So there is no misunderstanding here which can be cleared up with a meeting.

If I am invited to a meeting, I would certainly attend. My messages make my feelings clear with no ambiguity, I have nothing to hide.

njstone9

Reaction score
Nicholas, let us link up using email as well. I am on my way to airport. Keep in touch

This is the next reply I got:

Dear Sir/Mdm

Thank you for your feedback which we received on 22 December 2012. Please allow us some time to look into it. We will get back to you within 7 working days.

To help us identify and respond to this specific issue, please quote your Case # 00494365 in any further correspondence.

Yours sincerely,

Singapore Changi Airport

palmtungsten

Reaction score
ya lor that is why i said he smell fishy,like what you say he only attack and comments on the 2 threads only.
ya.. these 2 thread only.. haha.. how can not believe that he is boss... not sure boss of which apple premium seller...

4 postings in
Thread 1 - iStudio force-bundle screen protector with purchase of iPad Mini purchase

Thread 2 - Is it fair to force people to buy bundl
e?

Last edited:

chris888222

Reaction score
Here is the full text of the email I sent to Changi airport. I am awaiting a response. [EDIT: the original formatting isn't showing in what I just pasted below - there were indents for the quotes and plenty of bold and underlining as well!]

And can someone give me an email address I can contact Apple in Singapore at? I can only find phone numbers on their website.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to register a formal complaint about the shop iStudio which is operating in Changi airport.

iStudio are an authorised distributor of Apple products in Singapore but I am very angry about their current sales policy regarding iPads and iPad minis in the airport.

Put simply, they are offering many of those products for sale with a mandatory additional purchase of a screen protector. It is not possible to opt out of the purchase of the screen protector, even if one already has one or doesn't want one.

Essentially they are selling these Apple products for more than Apple's recommended retail price and I shall be contacting Apple separately about this matter as well.

However, I wish to know what action Changi airport will be taking as I believe the reputation of the airport as a place where one can take advantage of GST-free prices is being damaged if this type of sharp business practice is tolerated.

I am particularly angry because I deliberately did not buy an iPad 4 when it was released a few months ago because I knew that I could save around $50 by purchasing it in the airport when I next took a flight. With iStudio's dubious sales tactic in place, most of that saving is wiped out by the mandatory purchase of the screen protector, which comes to around $32.

Furthermore, the generally understood meaning of the term "bundle" is that the customer gets a better deal with a bundle as some or all the items in it are sold at a discount. Customers at iStudio are being misled by the use of this term as they may simply assume they're getting a good deal when in fact they are buying the screen protector at face value with no discount at all.

Moreover, it is normal practice to allow the customer the choice of whether to take advantage of the bundle or to purchase individual items separately. This is the first time in my life I have encountered a shop where the entire bundle was compulsory, and I am very angry and disappointed. More so by the fact that it is being allowed to happen in Changi airport, of all places!

The practice is misleading and unethical. Customers expect to be able to get good deals in the airport, not to be forced into buying overpriced accessories to get the item they want.

And if you permit iStudio to continue, what is to stop other shops in the airport from following suit? Want a sandwich? Sure, but you have to buy a drink too. Want some women's perfume? Of course, but you have to also buy some men's perfume. Is this the treatment that I and other customers can expect in future at Changi airport?

There are numerous threads and forums online where other people are also complaining about this same matter. One person has already complained to you and directly to iStudio and they posted iStudio's statement, which I wish to quote from:

It is not our objective to exploit passengers at our airport by 'forcing people to buy things they doesn't want'. This is not our business policy. We do not force passengers to make purchases and we have not received any complaints of similar nature before.

How can they say they do not force passengers to make purchases of things they don't want? I said I did not want the screen protector and they refused to sell me the iPad without it. This is the very definition of "force".

Apple's full range of products are sold at very few airports globally. Their lack of availability is testimonial of what iStudio have achieved at Changi Airport. The availability of iPad mini as a bundled package is an example of this achievement.

Here iStudio are claiming that their policy is leading to a lack of availability of Apple products! Such a claim is absolutely ludicrous. Everyone knows how popular Apple products are and that there is a shortage of them due to this high demand. It has absolutely nothing to do with iStudio and it is outrageous that an insignificant retail shop is trying to claim some of the credit for the years of research and development Apple have invested in their product line!

Your statement that additional profits are made from this sales of accessory is not accurate. We sold many iPad mini to-date at our airport stores and depending on stock availability from Apple, we will continue to ensure they are available to our airport passengers.

And this is simply manifestly untrue. Of course additional profits are being made by forcing people to purchase the screen protector. Is iStudio claiming that each screen protector costs them $32 and they are just passing on this cost to the consumer? In fact with every single iPad they sell with the bundled screen protector, iStudio are making additional profits. A small child can understand that that is their sole motivation for instigating this sales policy.

I refused to buy the iPad from iStudio and I shall never be visiting their shop again. I trust you have understood the points I have made in this email and I look forward to receiving from you a timely and satisfactory response detailing the course of action you intend to take as a result of this email.

Yours faithfully,

Mr Nicholas Stone
The British Council, Singapore
Very well said, Mr. Stone.
Very well said.

edit:
darn. I'm so late.

I sure hope iStudio stops this practice.

DQUEK123

Reaction score
The airport will tell you.. Get your lawyer and sue Istudio. Period.

Then u go find a queen council $2000 per hour and sue Istudio lor.

njstone9

Reaction score
The airport will tell you.. Get your lawyer and sue Istudio. Period.

Then u go find a queen council $2000 per hour and sue Istudio lor.

To be honest I don't think the airport will do anything. They're probably too stupid to realise that mandatory extra purchases that wipe out the GST savings are bad for duty free shopping.

However I would be surprised if Apple themselves didn't take action. iStudio are forcing the purchase of screen protectors and I have read that Nubox are forcing the purchase of Apple Care.

Potentially this prices customers out of the market and encourages them to buy rival Google products. In fact, maybe iStudio are undercover agents working for Google and Amazon!

njstone9

Reaction score
ya.. these 2 thread only.. haha.. how can not believe that he is boss... not sure boss of which apple premium seller...

4 postings in
Thread 1 - iStudio force-bundle screen protector with purchase of iPad Mini purchase

e?

If he is the boss, he put something interesting about finding out whether the bundle really is a mandatory purchase or not.

Perhaps he's thinking about changing his sales policy. Which would be good for everyone.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

4 postings in

e?

Danger???? Who is the spy here?

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Piece of bull****! If they want to do a promo, then no GST + "free screen protector" lor.........or give free casing. Why need to jack up price?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.