Is it fair to force people to buy bundle?

njstone9

Reaction score
And the response from the airport:

Dear Nicholas Stone,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback on Singapore Changi Airport. We are concerned and disappointed to hear of the inconvenience you have experienced and we would like to assure you that your interaction and satisfaction with Singapore Changi Airport is of utmost importance to us.

As landlord, we respect all tenant's business models and we do not interfere as long as they can match up to our shopping guarantees.

In order to give our shoppers better confidence, we have put in place a scheme where customers are refunded 2x the price difference should they find any price discrepancy at the airport versus the major downtown department stores/retailers in our comparison list. We have also taken a step further to ensure that our customers are fully satisfied with their purchases with our “100% Money Back Guarantee” Scheme, where customers who are not satisfied with their purchases for whatever reasons can obtain a full refund if they return the products, in good condition, with the receipt within 30 days - no questions asked.

We have conducted an investigation and iStudio downtown outlet stores are retailing the Mini iPad in the same bundle, in-line with their stores in Singapore Changi Airport. We assure you that Singapore Changi Airport have zero tolerance for tenants who exploit passengers. In order to keep up with our policies and prices competitive, we conduct monthly price checks vis-a-vis downtown comparable outlets.

In this instance, there is no breach of our policies as iStudio's prices are competitive vis-a-vis comparable downtown outlets at this moment.

We are in the midst of an internal review pertaining the compulsory bundle. As an big organisation, we have to factor a lot more considerations before a decision is made therefore we thank you for your patience and we value your feedback.

Nevertheless, we have reviewed and forwarded your comments to the operator, iStudio, for them to share more information on their sale. We expect iStudio to reply to you in a short period of time. We will on our side monitor the investigation and ensure that you do receive a response from them soon.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us.

Best regards,
Neo Shuhui
Associate, Concessions Operations
Airside Concessions Division
Singapore Changi Airport

gooifier

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Dear Nicholas Stone,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback on Singapore Changi Airport. We are concerned and disappointed to hear of the inconvenience you have experienced and we would like to assure you that your interaction and satisfaction with Singapore Changi Airport is of utmost importance to us.

As landlord, we respect all tenant's business models and we do not interfere as long as they can match up to our shopping guarantees.

In order to give our shoppers better confidence, we have put in place a scheme where customers are refunded 2x the price difference should they find any price discrepancy at the airport versus the major downtown department stores/retailers in our comparison list. We have also taken a step further to ensure that our customers are fully satisfied with their purchases with our “100% Money Back Guarantee” Scheme, where customers who are not satisfied with their purchases for whatever reasons can obtain a full refund if they return the products, in good condition, with the receipt within 30 days - no questions asked.

We have conducted an investigation and iStudio downtown outlet stores are retailing the Mini iPad in the same bundle, in-line with their stores in Singapore Changi Airport. We assure you that Singapore Changi Airport have zero tolerance for tenants who exploit passengers. In order to keep up with our policies and prices competitive, we conduct monthly price checks vis-a-vis downtown comparable outlets.

In this instance, there is no breach of our policies as iStudio's prices are competitive vis-a-vis comparable downtown outlets at this moment.

We are in the midst of an internal review pertaining the compulsory bundle. As an big organisation, we have to factor a lot more considerations before a decision is made therefore we thank you for your patience and we value your feedback.

Nevertheless, we have reviewed and forwarded your comments to the operator, iStudio, for them to share more information on their sale. We expect iStudio to reply to you in a short period of time. We will on our side monitor the investigation and ensure that you do receive a response from them soon.

Best regards,
Neo Shuhui
Singapore Changi Airport

Sounds like Changi Airport admit the bundle is wrong, thus the internal review. However, it seems they put the focus on the pricing (which I think Nic Stone and most of us have no issue with) than forcing the cux to buy a bundle to enjoy a so called 'special pricing' of the iPad mini...

DQUEK123

Reaction score
Sounds like Changi Airport admit the bundle is wrong, thus the internal review. However, it seems they put the focus on the pricing (which I think Nic Stone and most of us have no issue with) than forcing the cux to buy a bundle to enjoy a so called 'special pricing' of the iPad mini...

Which part of the letter from changi sounded the bundle is wrong?? This letter is to tell you go suck thumb... LOL.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel this is bull****....they compare among all IStudio price within Singapore and find IStudio pricing competitive....haha! What a joke.....

If I have 5 shops and I bundle mu underwear with IPad mini, this also sounds competitive? Haha!!!! Have they compared with Epi, Nubox, Best, Harvey Norman, Courts or not? Really a joke!!!!!!!

Changi airport is a big organization? 1400 employees only..Apple and Samsung compared to them consider a small country

faqs - Changi Airport Group

Dear Nicholas Stone,

Best regards,
Neo Shuhui
Singapore Changi Airport

gooifier

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which part of the letter from changi sounded the bundle is wrong?? This letter is to tell you go suck thumb... LOL.

If the bundle is done right, why bother do an internal review? Whether they did the internal review is another issue. It's PR and playing of words. Such big ego organisation wont say 'SORRY' in the letter one.

From the sound of the letter, I am expecting another letter from them, indicating the result of the internal review.

Wonder what will hap if SG Tourism Board knows abt the case...

gooifier

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel this is bull****....they compare among all IStudio price within Singapore and find IStudio pricing competitive....haha! What a joke.....

If I have 5 shops and I bundle mu underwear with IPad mini, this also sounds competitive? Haha!!!! Have they compared with Epi, Nubox, Best, Harvey Norman, Courts or not? Really a joke!!!!!!!

Changi airport is a big organization? 1400 employees only..Apple and Samsung compared to them consider a small country

Maybe TS can go find out the same bundle in town from any Apple Authorized Retailers and have some concrete evidence and show them to Changi side.

Must be the same brand of everything in the bundle, make them have no case.

However, there's only some factor which Changi and iStudio have the upper hand - timing and that 'comparision list' they mentioned.

DQUEK123

Reaction score
If the bundle is done right, why bother do an internal review? Whether they did the internal review is another issue. It's PR and playing of words. Such big ego organisation wont say 'SORRY' in the letter one.

From the sound of the letter, I am expecting another letter from them, indicating the result of the internal review.

Wonder what will hap if SG Tourism Board knows abt the case...

Yes tourism board know this case. They say ok.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SG tourism say they don't care and feel right. Only if this is a cheating case, else they deem alright. Really tough to have cheating case in SG la. There is no fake also and we rarely see owners giving retailers empty box here.

njstone9

Reaction score

It seems Changi airport think that the cost of the bundle is OK. That of course partly depends on the quality and value of the screen protectors. The internal review as to its fairness is ongoing. Essentially they have to decide if iStudio can do this with products that only they sell and that the customer cannot find elsewhere in the airport.

iStudio's prices are not *exactly* in line with their other stores.

For the iPad mini:
Outside of the airport, they essentially force the buyer to pay $39 for the screen protector. Inside the airport this amount varies from about $35 to over $40. The wifi only model is slightly cheaper than outside the airport. The cellular version is more expensive.

For the new iPad:
The compulsory bundle only applies to the 16gb versions, and only applies on the airport. They do not do the forced bundle outside of the airport. iStudio are also charging slightly different amounts for the screen protector, but both are between $32 and $33.

Interesting how the smaller screen protector for the iPad mini costs 20% more than for the full sized iPad...

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to say that but until Changi Airport is able to give us a saisfied reply, i feel what Changi airport has done is sitting on the fence! When I feedback this problem to them, they mentioned there is some misunderstanding with retailer. Now the second complain comes and there is this pending review....if they receive more complaints from tourists, then I think they will take it seriously. There is an electronic shop opposite of IStudio. It is a pity they don't carry Apple products else getting from them will definitely be better...

It seems Changi airport think that the cost of the bundle is OK. That of course partly depends on the quality and value of the screen protectors. The internal review as to its fairness is ongoing. Essentially they have to decide if iStudio can do this with products that only they sell and that the customer cannot find elsewhere in the airport.

For the iPad mini:
Outside of the airport, they essentially force the buyer to pay $39 for the screen protector. Inside the airport this amount varies from about $35 to over $40. The wifi only model is slightly cheaper than outside the airport. The cellular version is more expensive.

For the new iPad:
The compulsory bundle only applies to the 16gb versions, and only applies on the airport. They do not do the forced bundle outside of the airport. iStudio are also charging slightly different amounts for the screen protector, but both are between $32 and $33.

Interesting how the smaller screen protector for the iPad mini costs 20% more than for the full sized iPad...

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With different bundled screen protector price for different versions of IPad mini, it is double standards

For the iPad mini:

For the new iPad:

njstone9

Reaction score
I am sorry to say that but until Changi Airport is able to give us a saisfied reply, i feel what Changi airport has done is sitting on the fence! When I feedback this problem to them, they mentioned there is some misunderstanding with retailer. Now the second complain comes and there is this pending review....if they receive more complaints from tourists, then I think they will take it seriously. There is an electronic shop opposite of IStudio. It is a pity they don't carry Apple products else getting from them will definitely be better...

Well to be fair they might have initiated the review after your complaint - they said in the letter to me that they were in the midst of one.

Or perhaps other people have also complained. The tripadvisor thread about it suggests we're not the only angry customers.

Or maybe my email was more forceful 😉

One thing that needs to be stressed is that iStudio do have the right to be in charge of their own sales policy. Outside the airport I'd simply get Apple products from the Apple website so unless a store offers a *proper* discounted bundle, I'd always buy directly from Apple.

But in the airport you can't do that, so iStudio's policy's is problematic on grounds of choice and also make the product more expensive.

I will be contacting Apple once I get back to Singapore to find out what their stance is on forced bundles of screen protectors, Apple Care etc.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you because at the airport, we don't have a choice because they monopolize the business in all 3 terminals. I believe many tourist don't check and when they return to their country, nothing can be done

Well to be fair they might have initiated the review after your complaint - they said in the letter to me that they were in the midst of one.

Or perhaps other people have also complained. The tripadvisor thread about it suggests we're not the only angry customers.

Or maybe my email was more forceful 😉

One thing that needs to be stressed is that iStudio do have the right to be in charge of their own sales policy. Outside the airport I'd simply get Apple products from the Apple website so unless a store offers a *proper* discounted bundle, I'd always buy directly from Apple.

But in the airport you can't do that, so iStudio's policy's is problematic on grounds of choice and also make the product more expensive.

I will be contacting Apple once I get back to Singapore to find out what their stance is on forced bundles of screen protectors, Apple Care etc.

BadCompany

Reaction score
Haha...didn't I said in order for them to get out of this sticky situation, they will make their other outlets outside the airport to do the same thing so that they look like same package bundle at lower price.

Well Nick,welcome to Singapore! as for everyone else don't get sucker in by Changi airport & it's retailers "No GST" gimmick.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha...didn't I said in order for them to get out of this sticky situation, they will make their other outlets outside the airport to do the same thing so that they look like same package bundle at lower price.

Well Nick,welcome to Singapore! as for everyone else don't get sucker in by Changi airport & it's retailers "No GST" gimmick.

Did u say that before?

Reaction score
Changi Airport Bundling

Hi Nicholas and all,

I wrote in to changi airport too, to voice my displeasure at this bad practice, and changi airport has asked me to have a discussion with them and istudio.

Before I talk to them, can anyone confirm whether in the i studio outlets in town, they are selling at the exact same price (pre GST) and compulsory bundle as what they are doing at the airport and you cannot buy the products unbundled (meaning ipad without the screen protector).

Cheers

Dear Nicholas Stone,

Best regards,
Neo Shuhui
Singapore Changi Airport

njstone9

Reaction score
Hi Nicholas and all,

I wrote in to changi airport too, to voice my displeasure at this bad practice, and changi airport has asked me to have a discussion with them and istudio.

Before I talk to them, can anyone confirm whether in the i studio outlets in town, they are selling at the exact same price (pre GST) and compulsory bundle as what they are doing at the airport and you cannot buy the products unbundled (meaning ipad without the screen protector).

Cheers

Hi,

By coincidence, I've just been into the iStudio in Somerset to check.

They're doing the bundle for all iPad minis. The value of the screen protector is $39. In the airport I calculated they are charging between $35 and $40 for the force bundled screen protector.

They are ONLY doing the forced bundle for the 16gb new iPad (wifi and cellular) in the airport. There is no bundle in their outlet for any full-size iPad.

I still haven't heard from iStudio yet.

What are you planning to do?

njstone9

Reaction score
Hi Nicholas and all,

Cheers

Oh, I have all the prices in a table. It compares the official prices, with and without GST, and iStudio's prices. It also shows how much they're charging for the screen protectors.

I can't upload a picture here apparently, so you can email me at njstone9@yahoo.co.uk and I'll send you the table.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

I dont know what is the price they are selling in town. What I know is we cannot buy without the screen protector.

The price matrix is complicated. Previously when I went to their website, their pricing is still without screen protector. Now, they have updated to the price to with screen protector already as expected to cover themselves...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.