Is the Orbi Good?

bad1986

Reaction score
as a person who has convinced 4 families to throw/sell/junk their glitchy Orbi's; i'm pretty certain the AX version of Orbi would still frequently disconnect and drop out for no apparent reason.

I have 2 orbi routers and 6 orbi satellites all out of warranty and i can't wait to offload them to my enemies.

Rather people just wait for the new Google Nest Wifi 2 with integrated google assistant. Cheaper also.

Apart from the Google Nest 2, any other brand router you would recommend?

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried orbi wifi 6 yet?

Using it. Dunno why somehow I'm on wifi 6 but my download speed like no different from my ac orbi. In fact even slower. Keep getting 100+ dl speed result from speed test.

The only difference I see is the link rate. I can get link rate as high as 1200 but still the download speed...

Anyone able to help me with it?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Are 2.4Ghz disabled ?

Sent from 今天工作不努力, 明天努力找工作 using GAGT

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I need the 2.4ghz for some devices to work.

I also noticed that when I do speed tests, it's always m1 server where I can get higher results.

Other servers I will keep getting 100+ dl speed. Not sure why.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Then no choice. Cos mesh will decide for you to use either 2.4 or 5ghz. I suspect you are comeected to only 2.4ghz hence the low speed

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then no choice. Cos mesh will decide for you to use either 2.4 or 5ghz. I suspect you are comeected to only 2.4ghz hence the low speed

No la. I know my phones are definitely connected to 5ghz. And only at 5ghz wifi 6 then the devices can achieve 1200 link rate.

Just not sure why speed test result isn't good despite the high link rate.

Izumanyan

Reaction score
I'm planning to get the RBK53 soon (WiFi 6 too expensive). Did anyone experience any negatives about it so far?

Compose

Reaction score
If you are not in a hurry, suggest to wait till end of 2020 as wifi 6E devices are coming out. By then, wifi 6 will be more affordable.

Izumanyan

Reaction score
My current Asus router is dropping packets, causing me to have lag spikes, verified through pinging 192.168.1.1, so hoping to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I've looked at all the popular options from Orbi, to eero, to ubiquiti's UDM but they all seem to have negatives about it like being unable to fully administrate it without a stupid phone app, or being in beta. So im pretty lost on what's the best option right now..

Last edited:

giraffey

Reaction score
My current Asus router is dropping packets, causing me to have lag spikes, verified through pinging 192.168.1.1, so hoping to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I've looked at all the popular options from Orbi, to eero, to ubiquiti's UDM but they all seem to have negatives about it like being unable to fully administrate it without a stupid phone app, or being in beta. So im pretty lost on what's the best option right now..

What exactly is your requirement? Most mesh systems like orbi are administered through the mobile app.

Izumanyan

Reaction score
Just wanted to replace my existing AC5300 lo. Would prefer to have full control over the network rather than dumbed down/simplified controls, even if I may not necessarily use them, for flexibility sake.

E.G. the eero/amplifi doesn't allow you to troubleshoot yourself at all if I'm understanding it correctly, and only the technicians are able to view logs.

giraffey

Reaction score
Just wanted to replace my existing AC5300 lo. Would prefer to have full control over the network rather than dumbed down/simplified controls, even if I may not necessarily use them, for flexibility sake.

E.G. the eero/amplifi doesn't allow you to troubleshoot yourself at all if I'm understanding it correctly, and only the technicians are able to view logs.

If you are looking for advanced controls, mesh setups may not be suitable. Maybe consider the unifi series?

XseanX

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to get the RBK53 soon (WiFi 6 too expensive). Did anyone experience any negatives about it so far?

Being using it, so far the signal coverage, stability and speed is great as compare to my previous mesh system - Asus Lyra Trio.

Below is the speedtest using my S20 Ultra on 5Ghz - M1 1Gbps plan, never regretted upgraded to it although it is a bit more pricey as compare to other competitor.

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
as a person who has convinced 4 families to throw/sell/junk their glitchy Orbi's; i'm pretty certain the AX version of Orbi would still frequently disconnect and drop out for no apparent reason.

I have 2 orbi routers and 6 orbi satellites all out of warranty and i can't wait to offload them to my enemies.

Rather people just wait for the new Google Nest Wifi 2 with integrated google assistant. Cheaper also.

U sibei sway. I use Rbr50 and rbs50 for over 3 years alr never had to restart more than 5 times. I was overseas for 2 years and my orbi never restarted even once and my cctv worked all the way.

My parents house 3.5 stories 2700sqft covered perfectly by one orbi and one satellite only on second floor.

Truly set and forget.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.