Japan Thread Season 3: Updates and share your experience - Part 1

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is the correct thread to ask...

Will be landing in Nagoya in the morning, and planning to go to Shirakawago straight from there.

After some researching, I thk this is how to get there?

1. Central Japan International Airport -> Meitetsu Nagoya station

2. From Nagoya, By Nohi Bus to Takayama
The one way trip takes 50 minutes and costs 2400 yen.
Surfing Nohi bus webby, they stated seats need to be reserved. For those who had taken this bus before, would it be possible to buy the ticket when we reach?

3. Highway bus from Takayama to Shirakawago

Thanks in advance :)

I don't think the bus ride from Nagoya to Takayama will take only 50mins, since by train the same journey will take 2 and half hours.

To get to Shirakawa-go from Nagoya, here's the steps:
-1) Take the Limited Express Wide View Hida train from Nagoya to Takayama (2 and half hrs train journey, 1 departure every hour or so)

-2) From Takayama, go to the Bus terminal (next to Takayama train station) to buy bus tickets and board the bus to Shirakawa-go.
(50mins bus journey. 1 departure every 1 or 2hrs).

I stayed at Takayama for 2 nights, so I bought the bus ticket on the 1st day I arrived at Takayama, and went to Shirakawa-go on my 2nd day there. Many people buy the tickets on the day of travel. But if you are going on peak period (winter) then it might be risky.

I will be posting my Takayama + Shirakawa-go pics soon (these few days) on my Japan trips forum thread: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/japan-271/%5Bfrs%5D-samanthas-4-japan-trips-3535173.html

Clarity

Reaction score
I don't think the bus ride from Nagoya to Takayama will take only 50mins, since by train the same journey will take 2 and half hours.

To get to Shirakawa-go from Nagoya, here's the steps:
-1) Take the Limited Express Wide View Hida train from Nagoya to Takayama (2 and half hrs train journey, 1 departure every hour or so)

-2) From Takayama, go to the Bus terminal (next to Takayama train station) to buy bus tickets and board the bus to Shirakawa-go.
(50mins bus journey. 1 departure every 1 or 2hrs).

I stayed at Takayama for 2 nights, so I bought the bus ticket on the 1st day I arrived at Takayama, and went to Shirakawa-go on my 2nd day there. Many people buy the tickets on the day of travel. But if you are going on peak period (winter) then it might be risky.

I will be posting my Takayama + Shirakawa-go pics soon (these few days) on my Japan trips forum thread: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/japan-271/%5Bfrs%5D-samanthas-4-japan-trips-3535173.html

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing those photos :D

I will be there in March, wonder if that is still peak? Hmm.

May I know if you stayed over in Shirakawa-go? How many days did you stay?
Im thking of staying two days, not sure if thats too long/short.

Also can I check if anyone knows how to get from Hakuba to Shizuoka? Can't seem to find anything on that :s11:

Thank you in advance :)

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing those photos :D

I will be there in March, wonder if that is still peak? Hmm.

May I know if you stayed over in Shirakawa-go? How many days did you stay?
Im thking of staying two days, not sure if thats too long/short.

Also can I check if anyone knows how to get from Hakuba to Shizuoka? Can't seem to find anything on that :s11:

Thank you in advance :)

Not sure about March, I only know that it's peak in winter since I've read of some travellers who cldnt managed to buy bus tix to Shirakawa-go during winter time. I went during July which is probably off-peak season. Bus was only 20% occupied.

I didn't stay at Shirakawa-go. I stayed at Takayama for 2 nights.
I find 2 nights to be a tad long to spend on Takayama, however, if you want to increase your chance of getting bus ticket to Shirakawago if it's a peak season, then 2 nights would be good since if your 2nd day you can't get tix, u can try for the 3rd day.

Hakuba station to Shizuoka: (there's many routes, but this is 1 of the shortest routes which I see from hyperdia.com)
- Hakuba to Shiojiro station, 77mins by Ltd Exp Azusa train.
- Shiojiri station to Nagoya, 118mins by Ltd Exp Wide View Shinano train
- Nagoya to Shizuoka station, 58mins by Shinkansen

Note that the train's timings are not frequent, so you might have to wait awhile when you transfer trains at Shiojiro and Nagoya.

Alternatively, you can try this route:
- Hakuba to Matsumoto station, 100mins by JR Oito line
- Matsumoto to Nagoya, 127mins by Ltd Exp Wide View Shinano train

It really depends on what time are you departing Hakuba and check the train schedules to see which is more suitable for you.

Clarity

Reaction score
Not sure about March, I only know that it's peak in winter since I've read of some travellers who cldnt managed to buy bus tix to Shirakawa-go during winter time. I went during July which is probably off-peak season. Bus was only 20% occupied.

I didn't stay at Shirakawa-go. I stayed at Takayama for 2 nights.
I find 2 nights to be a tad long to spend on Takayama, however, if you want to increase your chance of getting bus ticket to Shirakawago if it's a peak season, then 2 nights would be good since if your 2nd day you can't get tix, u can try for the 3rd day.

Hakuba station to Shizuoka: (there's many routes, but this is 1 of the shortest routes which I see from hyperdia.com)
- Hakuba to Shiojiro station, 77mins by Ltd Exp Azusa train.
- Shiojiri station to Nagoya, 118mins by Ltd Exp Wide View Shinano train

Note that the train's timings are not frequent, so you might have to wait awhile when you transfer trains at Shiojiro and Nagoya.

Alternatively, you can try this route:
- Hakuba to Matsumoto station, 100mins by JR Oito line
- Matsumoto to Nagoya, 127mins by Ltd Exp Wide View Shinano train

It really depends on what time are you departing Hakuba and check the train schedules to see which is more suitable for you.

Thanks for the reply :D Guess I need to decide whether to stay at Takayama or Shirakawago. So, that means u spend just one day at touring Shirakawago?

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply :D Guess I need to decide whether to stay at Takayama or Shirakawago. So, that means u spend just one day at touring Shirakawago?

Shirakawa-go is not a very large place. What you can do is this:

Day 1: Arrive at Takayama, stay at Takayama.
Day 2: Morning take bus to Shirakawa-go, afternoon bus return back to Takayama, then take train to leave Takayama.

bkmailsg

Reaction score
Agree. And it is one of the must go if you are in Takayama region. :)

Day 2: Morning take bus to Shirakawa-go, afternoon bus return back to Takayama, then take train to leave Takayama.

faustz

Reaction score
Hi guys, quick question regarding bullet trains. I need to buy tickets from Osaka to Kyoto and Kyoto to Tokyo, am I able to buy them off the counter or must I book in advance? and how much do they cost? Thanks

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U can buy off the counter.

Osaka to Kyoto: 540yen
Kyoto to Tokyo: I assume u are taking the fastest train (Nozomi: 13320 yen)

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is the correct thread to ask...

Will be landing in Nagoya in the morning, and planning to go to Shirakawago straight from there.

After some researching, I thk this is how to get there?

1. Central Japan International Airport -> Meitetsu Nagoya station

2. From Nagoya, By Nohi Bus to Takayama
The one way trip takes 50 minutes and costs 2400 yen.
Surfing Nohi bus webby, they stated seats need to be reserved. For those who had taken this bus before, would it be possible to buy the ticket when we reach?

3. Highway bus from Takayama to Shirakawago

Thanks in advance :)

3 yr ago mine trip is :

Central Japan International Airport>>>Nagoya>>>kanazawa stay 1 nite>>>>>>>>>shirakawa-go stay 1 nite>>>>takayama......and shoot all the way up to okuhida

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

this is wat normal tourist rote
but this small town is at her most appreciated at night when all the tourists are gone

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is relevant, but saw this when i was looking out for airfares.

seems more expensive. the only benefit is that you dont need to specify a date and can go any day.

Tokyo Disney Resort

con01_img.png

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seem this thread is dead now? where are all the lao jiao? backpack in north europe or south america now? lolxxx

tamago_

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
just came back from tokyo last month. this one from shibuya hikarie basement 2 (tokyo metro exit 15) is damn worth it. matcha sponge cake baked with a chocolate macaron inside. ¥381 or S$6.15 per piece. their macarons on their own are also damn shiok.

9297IMG_3825.jpg

http://www.sadaharuaoki.jp/boutique.html

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.