Johor Bahru - share is caring - Part 2

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any tried taking bus to JB via Tus checkpoint on a sat morning? How is the traffic and queue at immigration around 10-11am? And coming back to SG in the evening around 8-9pm?
This timing is where all ppl would go into Malaysia. So you can imagine the crowds would be.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
I read that it is not permissible to walk into Tuas Checkpoint from the Tuas Link MRT station, but a lot of time is lost waiting in the coach for it to enter the checkpoint and disembark passengers for ICA clearance. I experienced this on the morning of 2 September, which was a Friday. As the traffic built up, the driver of my CW bus gave way for his colleagues to cut into the queue. Imagine my consternation. Fortunately he made up for it at the Johor end by using the emergency lane to bypass kilometres of cars waiting to clear Malaysian customs.

My advice for Tuas Checkpoint is to be very early for a Saturday, before 9am.

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read that it is not permissible to walk into Tuas Checkpoint from the Tuas Link MRT station, but a lot of time is lost waiting in the coach for it to enter the checkpoint and disembark passengers for ICA clearance. I experienced this on the morning of 2 September, which was a Friday. As the traffic built up, the driver of my CW bus gave way for his colleagues to cut into the queue. Imagine my consternation. Fortunately he made up for it at the Johor end by using the emergency lane to bypass kilometres of cars waiting to clear Malaysian customs.

From my previous trips in tour coaches and CW buses over at 2nd Link JB side , it's obvious that the latter is given priority as they're allowed to turn in via the other lane while the coaches have to queue while waiting for the officers to let them move in to drop off their passengers.

Commuters weren't allowed to walk into Tuas Checkpoint, pretty sure it's still not allowed. Once caught in a massive jam, saw many alighted at the bus terminal to visit the toilets and tried to walk in. They're turned back and had to hunt for their respective coaches in the jam.

https://landtransportguru.net/tuas-link-station/

Last edited:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
From my previous trips in tour coaches and CW buses over at 2nd Link JB side , it's obvious that the latter are given priority as they're allowed to turn in via the other lane while the coaches have to queue while waiting for the officers to let them move in to drop off their passengers.
Well, this did not happen on that morning. Coaches and public buses were in the same single queue that led into the CIQ complex. Some drivers tried to cut in from the leftmost lane. The rightmost lane was for those making a U-turn, mostly SBSTransit.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, this did not happen on that morning. Coaches and public buses were in the same single queue that led into the CIQ complex. Some drivers tried to cut in from the leftmost lane. The rightmost lane was for those making a U-turn, mostly SBSTransit.
Over at JB side?

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Pre-covid, I always take tuas checkpoint cos go after work in tuas. CW bus and coach in sg side, will go into checkpoint in a single lane, then coach went to coach bay while bus go to bus waiting point (road side). If you are not fast, sure to miss that CW bus. Have to wait for next CW bus.
JB side, just go to queue whatever lane to your destination.

Return trip also lesser CW bus.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Used to do that a lot pre-Covid but haven't tried this year. Normally the situation is much better than Woodlands as there're less day-trippers, and you only have to deal with tour groups at immigration. But now that the mainlanders aren't really back yet, maybe it's not that bad. And also, non holiday type of weekend should be fine as well. Or some religious activities over at JB then you'd meet organized groups from here...

Long bus queues over at JB side would be those going to Bukit Indah, a hot spot for SGeans, auntie/uncle groups. Second maybe Sutera Mall... What I did was to take the bus to Gelang Patah, maybe have brunch there before Grabbing to my actual intended destination. (Grab and taxis aren't supposed to go into that CIQ compound.)
Above is my pre-Covid experience. Went over via 2nd Link last Saturday and yes, the situation is different now. Best to reach there before 8am or earlier like 7am would be better, since more people seem to be going over this time round...

They allow 2 or max 3 buses to drop passengers at a time, so as much as possible to avoid having people queuing outside the hall. I was there 7ish so the other building was still closed...

As we all know and have to admit/accept, people's fuses are much shorter since the last 2 years of lockdown and whatnot. So as much as possible, don't make too much noise while you're queuing. That being a small hall unlike Woodlands side, the effect can be quite hard to bear. And, don't crowd while queuing, but instead stay to 2-abreast max (that's what we're told to do by a couple of army-attired personnel). Enjoy the queue while you're at it, since you can at least see the counters while waiting, unlike the other side...

dgeralds

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend cheap hotel or Airbnb below sgd40? Safe, clean & have some shops nearby for breakfast. I'm not familiar with JB, so any recommendation will be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend cheap hotel or Airbnb below sgd40? Safe, clean & have some shops nearby for breakfast. I'm not familiar with JB, so any recommendation will be appreciated. Thank you.
Stay in SG. Safe for sure and shops within walking distance.
Define how cheap is your cheap and how good is your good. Thanks!

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Try the Dragon Inn Premium Hotel. Below $40, checked. Shops nearby for breakfast, checked. For the other assessments, tell us after your experience.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.