kF94 or Surgical mask?

KPO_SAHM

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also wearing double surgical masks now.
No choice for ppl like us no money to buy quality N95.

Double masks seal the side gaps better as it's tighter.
With 1 surgical mask, the side gaps are wide open.

Yes . I have small face . Normal mask with leakage. Double no leak n it fits so well

miketay90

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
save the environment and stop using disposal ones.

just a lint free cloth mask will do.

think about it - why arent masks treated as biohazard waste and disposed of accordingly?

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes . I have small face . Normal mask with leakage. Double no leak n it fits so well

BTW, just in case......don't do double surgical masking like what i see some doing.

Double mask with a tight fitting cloth mask at the edges is fine.

They already measured it, double masking with flat surgical masks only more or less maintains the filtration level as fitted, same goes for cloth masks with those PM2.5 rectangular inserts that do not go all the way to the edges.
(i read that there are products with dedicated inserts that go all the way to the edge). But srsly i dont see the point in using inserts.....just go for KF94 directly.

Here's the data for double masking with a fitting cloth for outside and a ASTM level 2-3 surgical mask inside (not those $1-2 per box MIC/MIV ones, i just saw at Sheng Siong buy 1 get 1 free even).
Like wise, you can try mask fitters

se6Cl0i.jpg

mask-fitter.jpg

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway, it's already 3.577k now. And Rt is not really approaching 1.0 fast enough so that we can drop cases.

So, not really the time to be playing guessing games. For all you know, 1 cabin you dont have 1, but 4-5 infectors now. The load is gonna be very high.
I am still taking the time and sharing data with you coz i know you have unvaccinated pax in your family. And guess what bro/sis, the hospital system isnt exactly in a good shape right now, unless if you can go private. (y) 😭

Just get something that works as per data measurements or way of wearing. If you want to 3M micropore tape the 2 sides and also the top of 1 x ASTM leve 2 surgical mask, also ok.

You are aiming to filter the worst case scenario called droplet nuclei, which peaks at around 1.0 microns (it's a log distribution curve). In short, they don't dip below 0.4-0.5 microns for the smallest ones. 1 single virion does not get expelled by our airways and float in the air by itself, already measured scientifically before, so don't worry about those 0.08-0.1 microns figures (80-100 nanometers).
So don't worry about KF94 or N95, they can easily handle the challenge aerosol size which is a bit bigger than the MPPS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7579175/

ijerph-17-06960-g001.jpg

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe I shd share this andecdotal story again at this juncture of high caseloads and hospital system very much strained.

Remember indonesia delta surge then (only 2-3 months ago)? I sent KF94s to my in-laws (I true blue sinkie well over a decade MRed liao). SIL is in Batam. Over there peaked at the equivalent of like 2X of our current daily levels with high levels of unvaccination, so.....go figure on the possible viral loads floating around. :s14:

SIL's coy, ....airconed, somemore using those normal wall mounted AC FCUs with minimal air exchange, srsly they dont really give any flying farks about CO2 levels and ACH, not like your commercial buildings with central AC and AHUs.

End up got workplace cluster, total a good few dozens infected over the course of over 2 weeks. There is no such thing as TT or HRW close contact tracing etc. Heck their official cases aren't even anywhere accurate to begin with coz all along if you wanna Home Recovery and go private coz you have $$$, you could. :ROFLMAO:

My SIL is a health freak, so naturally she does not want to get infected. I sent her Made in Korea KF94s, legit ones, not MIC which i have measured to vary all over the place (esp the bi-fold KN95s, damn those stuff is power in range). She and her close clique of workplace kakis wore safety glasses and face shields in addition to the KF94 or Sensi duckbill/KF94 type 3D mask (sensi is v well known there, actually i think is their biggest manufaturer of stuff like masks/diapers etc). Meticulous hand hygiene. I sent her all the info.

End up her small clique of pals and she never got infected. The others all dropping like flies, 60% and possibly 70% all infected. The others were wearing cloth stuff, flat surgical stuff etc.

Not claiming to be anything scientific this one, but i just share and help .
You can also choose not to believe this, coz after all, it's only anecdotal.

Just taking the time to share.

KPO_SAHM

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don’t accept anything other than N95

Ya but who would have $$$ to use them all times.
Anyway, it's already 3.577k now. And Rt is not really approaching 1.0 fast enough so that we can drop cases.

So, not really the time to be playing guessing games. For all you know, 1 cabin you dont have 1, but 4-5 infectors now. The load is gonna be very high.
I am still taking the time and sharing data with you coz i know you have unvaccinated pax in your family. And guess what bro/sis, the hospital system isnt exactly in a good shape right now, unless if you can go private. (y) 😭

Just get something that works as per data measurements or way of wearing. If you want to 3M micropore tape the 2 sides and also the top of 1 x ASTM leve 2 surgical mask, also ok.

You are aiming to filter the worst case scenario called droplet nuclei, which peaks at around 1.0 microns (it's a log distribution curve). In short, they don't dip below 0.4-0.5 microns for the smallest ones. 1 single virion does not get expelled by our airways and float in the air by itself, already measured scientifically before, so don't worry about those 0.08-0.1 microns figures (80-100 nanometers).
So don't worry about KF94 or N95, they can easily handle the challenge aerosol size which is a bit bigger than the MPPS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7579175/

ijerph-17-06960-g001.jpg

Our whole family are not vaxx...
I have friends who work as medical staff in hospitals. .... Not convenient to say about hospitals but basically do get good care of yourself. Don depend on government.

Thanks for sharing so much info about mask. Too technical for me to understand. Basically as long as there is no leakage , it should be working well, right?

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have friends who work as medical staff in hospitals. .... Not convenient to say about hospitals but basically do get good care of yourself. Don depend on government.

Thanks for sharing so much info about mask. Too technical for me to understand. Basically as long as there is no leakage , it should be working well, right?

For
1. N95
2. Legit KN95 (the cheapest KN95 that is legit tested by CDC in a past exercise costs ~ SGD 0.4 each, not those rmb 80 for 500pcs "KN95" on Taobao)
3. Made in Korea KF94
4. ASTM level 1 to 3 (look at the box, got say) or EN13486 IIR masks (look at the box) surgical masks

As long as no leak, ie you tape up, use sealing gadgets, or the mask itself already can provide no leak, yes it would work.

Note, double surgical masking, you or others might think "no leak" coz you see holes smaller. Trust me, i go test for ya, i will be able to show you the leak.
That is why KF94 MIK ones 90% of the case still need 3M micropore, if you really care about it.

There is still leak from MIK KF94s, even with that visibly tight fitting looks of it. Stuff like the loose earloop and overly soft nosewire wont help
For general population, NIOSH N95s, still would leak i think > 50% of the time, just leak less nia.
That is why i ask you folks to do 3M micropore or any surgical tape seal.

But remember, the above masks the filter has higher airflow resistance than your MIC flat masks or cloth.
That small 1mm gap for cloth mask leaks just a little, but it's gonna leak a heck lot more for the N95s.

That very small gap is very significantly for the above 4 types of masks.

AuraKUPO

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You may want to try good manner and blue world mask. These 2 are affordable and have strong electrostatic + comfortable with tight fit. I have small face as well so I need to use a mask hook.

KPO_SAHM

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For
1. N95
2. Legit KN95 (the cheapest KN95 that is legit tested by CDC in a past exercise costs ~ SGD 0.4 each, not those rmb 80 for 500pcs "KN95" on Taobao)
3. Made in Korea KF94
4. ASTM level 1 to 3 (look at the box, got say) or EN13486 IIR masks (look at the box) surgical masks

As long as no leak, ie you tape up, use sealing gadgets, or the mask itself already can provide no leak, yes it would work.

Note, double surgical masking, you or others might think "no leak" coz you see holes smaller. Trust me, i go test for ya, i will be able to show you the leak.
That is why KF94 MIK ones 90% of the case still need 3M micropore, if you really care about it.

There is still leak from MIK KF94s, even with that visibly tight fitting looks of it. Stuff like the loose earloop and overly soft nosewire wont help
For general population, NIOSH N95s, still would leak i think > 50% of the time, just leak less nia.
That is why i ask you folks to do 3M micropore or any surgical tape seal.

But remember, the above masks the filter has higher airflow resistance than your MIC flat masks or cloth.
That small 1mm gap for cloth mask leaks just a little, but it's gonna leak a heck lot more for the N95s.

That very small gap is very significantly for the above 4 types of masks.

Does 3M micropore come in double side?? I don remember they selling double . Which one to choose from below link. My family has severe eczema too. And redness on body and face are not uncommon for us. Which tape would not cause lesser hurt to our skin?

I am worried for my mum has she had stroke and lots of health problems but she always stays home. But other members travel around. So it's also a risk for her.

https://www.3m.com.sg/3M/en_SG/p/c/medical/tapes-films/

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.