Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

yongsaver

Reaction score
We know we have reached SAVER HEAVEN when SCB esaver hits 2%...:s13:

all savers lets pray hard,...better still...reject banks that offer crap rates,...if u do that higher chance of seeing higher and higher rates,...if u deposit in banks that give crap rates, they have no incentive to increase their rates,...why should they?...cannot blame them actually...give crap rates also got people bank, why need to increase?? :s22:

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can I ask those who opened the icbc step-up fd, did u deposit cash on the spot, or had to FAST in (on the spot), or cheque?

i'm wondering how best to apply for it.

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
they set up so many conditions here and there, might as well do a simple 7 month FD at 1.75% p.a. to me both are effectively the same:s22:

Other banks are able to offer simple, easy to understand FD promotions where they just pay you principal and interest upon maturity. POSB promotions are always very complicated and there is even a lag time between closing the account and paying out the interest, like they have staff calculating it by abacus. Ironically POSB's customer base is probably the least financially savvy. Or maybe this is intentional.

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

foxer77

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thus year intrest us pretty high, good time to park fund in fd and ssb

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can I ask those who opened the icbc step-up fd, did u deposit cash on the spot, or had to FAST in (on the spot), or cheque?

i'm wondering how best to apply for it.

If bring cheque, go earlier like 12pm or earlier as their cut off time is 1.30pm. First time I was there on fri at 2pm with cheque. Have to treat as next working day so they can't give me the FD slip immediately and had to mail to me. But Mon they called to say they made a mistake and processed as normal FD instead of step up.

Because of this, second placement I brought cash. Smooth. Got deposit slip immediately. But pls note that if cash more than 30k they will ask to show proof of withdrawal from other bank eg if I draw from posb savings need to show passbook.

Have not tried fast.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For ICBC step up, make sure the FD slip under IR (interest rate) shows "tier". At IB, it will show 4 lines with dates from and to for each 3 mth cycle.

The effective interest rate for 3M, 6M, 9M and 12M is about 1.5%, 1.6%, 1.7% and 1.8% (ie assuming you draw out after 3M, 6M, 9M, 12M).

Last edited:

Newmaxi

Reaction score
If bring cheque, go earlier like 12pm or earlier as their cut off time is 1.30pm. First time I was there on fri at 2pm with cheque. Have to treat as next working day so they can't give me the FD slip immediately and had to mail to me. But Mon they called to say they made a mistake and processed as normal FD instead of step up.

Because of this, second placement I brought cash. Smooth. Got deposit slip immediately. But pls note that if cash more than 30k they will ask to show proof of withdrawal from other bank eg if I draw from posb savings need to show passbook.

Have not tried fast.
Can do fast. They will open an account with a atm card. U FAST to this account and then they will open a FD for u and Trf from this account to FD account.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can do fast. They will open an account with a atm card. U FAST to this account and then they will open a FD for u and Trf from this account to FD account.

So must transfer at the branch ? Get the FD slip on the spot or they have to mail to you ?

Newmaxi

Reaction score
So must transfer at the branch ? Get the FD slip on the spot or they have to mail to you ?

You can bring the token of the bank that you want to transfer from along. So after the account is open (on the spot) you do the transfer. U can download ICBC mobile app. The CS can navigate it through with you

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can bring the token of the bank that you want to transfer from along. So after the account is open (on the spot) you do the transfer. U can download ICBC mobile app. The CS can navigate it through with you

so is the procedure as follows?

1. Before going to ICBC bank, add ICBC account (the 19-digit long account number) as a payee to your original bank (say DBS) which you are transferring from.
2. Transfer a sum (say 20k) from DBS to ICBC.
3. Go to ICBC bank and say you want to open step-up FD.
4. CSO will open the step-up FD account on the spot and issue you account number.
5. On the spot, transfer from ICBC account to the step-up FD.
6. CSO will issue you deposit slip.

Is it like that?

yongsaver

Reaction score
so is the procedure as follows?

1. Before going to ICBC bank, add ICBC account (the 19-digit long account number) as a payee to your original bank (say DBS) which you are transferring from.
2. Transfer a sum (say 20k) from DBS to ICBC.
3. Go to ICBC bank and say you want to open step-up FD.
4. CSO will open the step-up FD account on the spot and issue you account number.
5. On the spot, transfer from ICBC account to the step-up FD.
6. CSO will issue you deposit slip.

Is it like that?

if u have the funds in your ICBC savings account, they will just deduct from it and place inside the FD...just give them instruction can oledi.

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if only it can be done online. saves me the time travelling to the branch...

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
All FD rates and offers updated for August, thanks to chuanz for coding this interface:

http://sgfd.neocities.org

ICBC is still the winner, 12 months 1.80% at counter or 1.85% online :s12:

http://singapore.icbc.com.cn/ICBC/海...siness/PersonalBanking/Deposits/FixedDeposit/

But for reference:

SSB August 2018 first year rate: 1.78%, September 2018: 1.75%

The 1-year SGS T-bill benchmark yield is trading at 1.74% but the next auction is only in late October 2018.

If u have $1m of yuan, u can get 5% 1 year fd in rmb over the counter at icbc

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.