Legally serving ties with my mother (pls help)

Rosie8896

Reaction score
Hi please don't judge me. I just really couldn't take it anymore. All the years of physical and emotional abuse from my mother is growing a toll on me and making me suicidal. Her mood is unpredictable and she is angry for no reasons and would scream and slap me and pull my hair and bang my head against the wall for very, very small things. I am 25 years old this year, living with my single mother but I can feel myself dying inside everyday. She is a control freak to the point where I have no rights to say no or disagree with anything, if I disagreed, she gets violent. Yes she is still abusive towards me, even though I am an adult and quite frankly I am done with her erratic behaviour.

I want to move out, but I am afraid of what she will do when she finds me. I tried to discuss moving out with her few years ago but she locked me up for days, took my phone and all forms of communication. I did not dare to try again. Because I am working now, so my times at home are limited but during weekends if I am at home, she drives me crazy. Shouts and hits me for very small things like me not waking up to eat breakfast. This morning, at around 11am she yanked my hair and threw me to the floor from my bed cause she made breakfast and I am still sleeping. I keep my room locked but she has the key so its no use. Like she is just very, very bipolar. Sometimes she can be super nice to me but other times she acts really scary and crazy.

I'm thinking I'll pack up and quietly leave home during a day when she is not home. This is the only way I can think of that avoids a violent confrontation or me being locked up. But I am afraid of one thing, that she will track me down.

My mother knows my workplace and she will not hesitate to look for me at my workplace or make a scene or hit me in public (she has hit me in public before). One minute we were talking and the next she just gave me a slapped cause I spoke up for a stranger that bumped into her. I just told her the stranger was in a hurry, he didn't mean to, you are thinking too much. But she just, slapped me cause I was on the stranger's side? I am really, really afraid of what she will do if she finds me. Especially at my workplace.

Good news is, 31 March 2021 is my last day of work, although my boss did ask me to help for one more month cause they aee unable to find a replacement yet. I might plan my 'escape' after I have left the job so she will have less chances to find me.

Another thing is, my boyfriend and I will ROM around Mid April this year(next month). My mother doesn't know and does not approve. I do not plan to tell her the date because she will ruin it for sure. I will be moving in with my boyfriend's family. But once again, I am afraid my mother will somehow find my bf's family or home and make a big fuss or create a scene.

I am looking for advise on how to serve all ties with my mother and prevent her from finding me or coming near me. I do not have enough evidence for personal protection order although I do have some recordings of her shouting and screaming at me. I am honestly, very very afraid of what she will do once she found that I moved out. Afraid what she will do to my boyfriend and his family.

Please please advise me what I should do in my situation. No I don't want her arrested or anything, I just want to stay far far away from her and live my own life, but Singapore is so small.

casvel

Reaction score
National Anti-Violence Helpline is 1800 777 0000
Better to let them advise on your situation and point you in the right direction.

More helplines

mryongtan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there are no law(s) in SG which provides for legal severance of ties.

only way is to migrate or disappear until even the govt cannot locate you.

Urbanchap

Reaction score
Afraid what she will do to my boyfriend and his family.

You had been conditioned to fear your mum since young. Why shld your bf & his family be afraid of your mum? If anything they are in better position to stand up to her.

Just leave your home when u change job. Get new hp no. Start life all over again. Very much doubt she can trace you. Chances of bumping into her is quite low even for a small island like SG. Even if u do, just walk away. Your mum needs to learn that she can no longer control you. This control is based on fear. Best if you can show her that u no longer fear her. :vijayadmin:

occifer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't fully understand your situation.
I only read the first paragraph but I am on your side TS.

U are not a char siew.
Do wat u need to do.
Family is over-rated.

Sent from myphone using GAGT

honeylemontea

Reaction score
Hi! Though I might not fully understand your situation and know how to help you with it. I fully empathise with your situation and wish you all the best! Don't lose hope and do what you think is best for you!

occifer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Violence, insults and major physical beatings are a legit reason for severing ties imo.
Bang head against wall is wtf.

Go ahead ts and don't feel bad about it.
U must protect yourself from harm.

And do not commit suicide or self harm ya.

Sent from myphone using GAGT

Last edited:

Rosie8896

Reaction score
You had been conditioned to fear your mum since young. Why shld your bf & his family be afraid of your mum? If anything they are in better position to stand up to her.

Just leave your home when u change job. Get new hp no. Start life all over again. Very much doubt she can trace you. Chances of bumping into her is quite low even for a small island like SG. Even if u do, just walk away. Your mum needs to learn that she can no longer control you. This control is based on fear. Best if you can show her that u no longer fear her. :vijayadmin:
So I will be leaving tomorrow, Monday evening, while she is not home. Will drop her a message to stop contacting and stop finding me. I just really don't know what crazy stuff she will do once she find out. I pray she does not make it into a public scene or go to the newspaper/media. She is crazy I swear. So main thing is, should I make a police report to say I left on my own accord due to emotional and physical abuse? I'm thinking I will legally change my name and even file a personal protection order in the future. I seriously think she will harass my boyfriend's family.

Urbanchap

Reaction score
So I will be leaving tomorrow, Monday evening, while she is not home. Will drop her a message to stop contacting and stop finding me. I just really don't know what crazy stuff she will do once she find out. I pray she does not make it into a public scene or go to the newspaper/media. She is crazy I swear. So main thing is, should I make a police report to say I left on my own accord due to emotional and physical abuse? I'm thinking I will legally change my name and even file a personal protection order in the future. I seriously think she will harass my boyfriend's family.
Good. I dun see need to make police rpt at this pt since u are leaving note for your mum. Its really unlikely that she can trace u unless she knows where your bf is. PPO can be considered in future if she manage to find & harass u. For now, just.get.out :)

Rosie8896

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thank you for your reply, advice and message. I have left my home. Paked up everything important and left within an hour. Just want to thank you guys for giving me courage.

At the moment, mixed feelings. Because my Mother has been treating me quite nice for the past weeks (expect for one episode where she hit me abit last Friday). She even cooked my favourite food for me today, she did not know I am planning to leave at all. I honestly feel bad and guilty but at the same time, I don't want to go back to that life of fear and helplessness. Not sure if I mentioned before but I am 25 years old so this is definitely not a rash decision or some teenage rebellion phase. I am leaving for myself, my mental health and maybe my future. Yet despite all these and no matter how hard I tried to convince myself, I feel like I am doing something wrong.

But I just can't help feeling bad and guilty and just unease. Did I do a wrong thing? Should I have stayed and tried talking to her? Try to change her?

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You did the right thing. Abusers do not deserve second chances.

Rosie8896

Reaction score
You did the right thing. Abusers do not deserve second chances.
I don't know. Right now my mother kept spam calling my boyfriend and even said some bad things to him. I thought I had made my situation clear to my boyfriend, but I think he can't take the stress and kept worrying that my mother will come find him(at his workplace) Woke up right now and we had a fight, honestly first time the boyfriend and I had a fight this badly. He kept telling me that his mother won't like it, if she finds out about my situation but I thought he knew. I honestly thought he knew and was willing to take me in. So lost right now, thinking to move out on my own cause I have some savings. It cost $600 to rent a place? Depends on location right?

Urbanchap

Reaction score
But I just can't help feeling bad and guilty and just unease. Did I do a wrong thing? Should I have stayed and tried talking to her? Try to change her?

Your guilt is misplaced. It is your mum who is guilty. As for changing her, she had 25 years to do it but did she? In life, we can only change ourselves :giggle:

He kept telling me that his mother won't like it, if she finds out about my situation but I thought he knew. I honestly thought he knew and was willing to take me in. So lost right now, thinking to move out on my own cause I have some savings. It cost $600 to rent a place? Depends on location right?
Oh dear, surely you discussed with the guy you're marrying everything about your family situation and that you're moving out for good to stay with him? :oops:

Yeah, mkt rent is about $600 per hdb room.

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You thought he knew ? What did you even tell him previously ?

Thought you two ROM already...

Rosie8896

Reaction score
You thought he knew ? What did you even tell him previously ?

Thought you two ROM already...
Just told them that my mother is abusive and I will not be contacting her after and would like to move in. Didn't let them know my mother will be crazy enough to harass him like that.

As for ROM it is next week!

My mother just showed up at my Husband's house door right now. She said the police gave her my address. Can Singapore Police Force actually do that? I had filed a police report and told them not to give as my mother is harassing me and is physically abusive. But the Police went and gave it anyway WTF.

I really don't know what to do! Have really lost faith in Singapore's police force. Wow. I cannot get away from her now. I still can't believe Singapore's police force would do that. I had already filed a police report that this person is causing me physical hard and they went and give her my address. Do they want me to die sooner or what? I'm so perplexed by the police actions for real.

Just imagine it is a murderer or stalker and it is so easy for them to get someone's address from Police? Literally speechless. Now my mother won't stop harassing his family. I am so embarrassed by all of it and so so embarrassed by all the inconvenience I caused to my boyfriend's family.

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just told them that my mother is abusive and I will not be contacting her after and would like to move in. Didn't let them know my mother will be crazy enough to harass him like that.

My mother just showed up at my Husband's house door right now. She said the police gave her my address. Can Singapore Police Force actually do that? I had filed a police report and told them not to give as my mother is harassing me and is physically abusive. But the Police went and gave it anyway WTF.

I really don't know what to do! Have really lost faith in Singapore's police force. Wow. I cannot get away from her now. I still can't believe Singapore's police force would do that. I had already filed a police report that this person is causing me physical hard and they went and give her my address. Do they want me to die sooner or what? I'm so perplexed by the police actions for real.

Just imagine it is a murderer or stalker and it is so easy for them to get someone's address from Police? Literally speechless. Now my mother won't stop harassing his family. I am so embarrassed by all of it and so so embarrassed by all the inconvenience I caused to my boyfriend's family.
Did you change the address on your NRIC or with Singpass ? If not, how would SPF know of it ?

Afterall, you two haven't even ROM yet ??

A

Autumn.

Hi please don't judge me. I just really couldn't take it anymore. All the years of physical and emotional abuse from my mother is growing a toll on me and making me suicidal. Her mood is unpredictable and she is angry for no reasons and would scream and slap me and pull my hair and bang my head against the wall for very, very small things. I am 25 years old this year, living with my single mother but I can feel myself dying inside everyday. She is a control freak to the point where I have no rights to say no or disagree with anything, if I disagreed, she gets violent. Yes she is still abusive towards me, even though I am an adult and quite frankly I am done with her erratic behaviour.

I want to move out, but I am afraid of what she will do when she finds me. I tried to discuss moving out with her few years ago but she locked me up for days, took my phone and all forms of communication. I did not dare to try again. Because I am working now, so my times at home are limited but during weekends if I am at home, she drives me crazy. Shouts and hits me for very small things like me not waking up to eat breakfast. This morning, at around 11am she yanked my hair and threw me to the floor from my bed cause she made breakfast and I am still sleeping. I keep my room locked but she has the key so its no use. Like she is just very, very bipolar. Sometimes she can be super nice to me but other times she acts really scary and crazy.

I'm thinking I'll pack up and quietly leave home during a day when she is not home. This is the only way I can think of that avoids a violent confrontation or me being locked up. But I am afraid of one thing, that she will track me down.

My mother knows my workplace and she will not hesitate to look for me at my workplace or make a scene or hit me in public (she has hit me in public before). One minute we were talking and the next she just gave me a slapped cause I spoke up for a stranger that bumped into her. I just told her the stranger was in a hurry, he didn't mean to, you are thinking too much. But she just, slapped me cause I was on the stranger's side? I am really, really afraid of what she will do if she finds me. Especially at my workplace.

Good news is, 31 March 2021 is my last day of work, although my boss did ask me to help for one more month cause they aee unable to find a replacement yet. I might plan my 'escape' after I have left the job so she will have less chances to find me.

Another thing is, my boyfriend and I will ROM around Mid April this year(next month). My mother doesn't know and does not approve. I do not plan to tell her the date because she will ruin it for sure. I will be moving in with my boyfriend's family. But once again, I am afraid my mother will somehow find my bf's family or home and make a big fuss or create a scene.

I am looking for advise on how to serve all ties with my mother and prevent her from finding me or coming near me. I do not have enough evidence for personal protection order although I do have some recordings of her shouting and screaming at me. I am honestly, very very afraid of what she will do once she found that I moved out. Afraid what she will do to my boyfriend and his family.

Please please advise me what I should do in my situation. No I don't want her arrested or anything, I just want to stay far far away from her and live my own life, but Singapore is so small.

actually u cannot severed ties in singapore.

2ndly, ur mother has a case of mental behaviour issues, which unfortunately in singapore very hard to get it treated. and lastly, such behavior, could be the caused from her unbalanced hormones. i would not have believe that if just any one shared that. in this case, i learnt about it thru' a close friend- her own half sister. her emotions was just roller coaster with high frequency. until when she decides to remove her own womb. that's where she was back to her self and when she did that, she was only 30.

A

Autumn.

in singapore law, they are allowed to.

There is no such as thing restraining court order against own children or parent. u would have to move to usa.
U move overseas doesnt mean that she cannot locate you. u still would need a singapore address for u NRIC

Last edited by a moderator:

Urbanchap

Reaction score
Did you change the address on your NRIC or with Singpass ? If not, how would SPF know of it ?

Afterall, you two haven't even ROM yet ??
Well, she made a police report and therefore she has to list her current contact address at bf?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.