Lenovo Legion 5 WiFi and battery problem

Brossom

Reaction score
I bought my Lenovo Legion 5 roughly 1 month ago and suddenly I can't connect to any WiFi. Called Lenovo support and they said it's due to faulty wifi card.
Since the wifi issue I started to use the laptop on battery and I noticed the battery is dropping 2% in less than 1 minute. I checked the battery details. It stated 12% should last for 30 minutes but the percentage drops again within 1 minute.
I don't think this is normal. Anyone knows why this happens?

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmmmmm.... since Lenovo admit that it could be a faulty computer component...

then request them to get it fixed. Its still under warranty

as for battery life, it depends on your settings.
Quiet, Hybrid or Performance mode?

brightness setting?

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What...I just preorder a legion 5, whats the model of your wifi card?
Anyway just let them fix ba got warranty should be fine.

bullsback

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought my Lenovo Legion 5 roughly 1 month ago and suddenly I can't connect to any WiFi. Called Lenovo support and they said it's due to faulty wifi card.
Since the wifi issue I started to use the laptop on battery and I noticed the battery is dropping 2% in less than 1 minute. I checked the battery details. It stated 12% should last for 30 minutes but the percentage drops again within 1 minute.
I don't think this is normal. Anyone knows why this happens?
Maybe relating to wifi card such as shortcitcuit but doubt it, are u using ryzen graphics or external graphics?

Brossom

Reaction score
hmmmmmm.... since Lenovo admit that it could be a faulty computer component...

then request them to get it fixed. Its still under warranty

as for battery life, it depends on your settings.
Quiet, Hybrid or Performance mode?

brightness setting?
Have contacted Lenovo support, they will replace a new WiFi card. Just can't believe laptop with this pricing would have problem so fast.
I set it to balance mode with automatically tune CPU/GPU performance when I'm gaming.
I didn't change the brightness setting, should be under default mode.

Brossom

Reaction score
What...I just preorder a legion 5, whats the model of your wifi card?
Anyway just let them fix ba got warranty should be fine.
It's Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz.
I'm using the laptop for working too so I didn't expect it would breakdown so fast. Luckily I haven't disposed my old Asus.

Brossom

Reaction score
Maybe relating to wifi card such as shortcitcuit but doubt it, are u using ryzen graphics or external graphics?
Not using any external graphics. Just whatever in built.
I think it's Nvidia Geforce RTX graphics card.
Could it be I put my laptop next to the window? I know it's highly unlikely but could the heat from the sun spoilt the WiFi card?

bullsback

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not using any external graphics. Just whatever in built.
I think it's Nvidia Geforce RTX graphics card.
Could it be I put my laptop next to the window? I know it's highly unlikely but could the heat from the sun spoilt the WiFi card?
not sure, anyway, Its intel manufactured wifi card, under warranty its good to replace. I am not normal, so i cant really stand any heat output from keyboard or slight warm etc. I applied Thermal grizzly reduce the heat as well as running without the bottom case, just alleviate with 0.5cm off the table. The laptop stability is important to me as its my trading workstation, running 3 external monitors lol, 4 screens including the laptop. If u have the chance, can consider applying thermal grizzly, or use those cooling pads, however, the temps dont seems to drop much but i swear, the keyboard feels tiny bit less warm.

devil1158

Reaction score
Have contacted Lenovo support, they will replace a new WiFi card. Just can't believe laptop with this pricing would have problem so fast.
I set it to balance mode with automatically tune CPU/GPU performance when I'm gaming.
I didn't change the brightness setting, should be under default mode.
Don’t worry
My legion 5 on 5th day keyboard not working.. u still got 1 month

Brossom

Reaction score
not sure, anyway, Its intel manufactured wifi card, under warranty its good to replace. I am not normal, so i cant really stand any heat output from keyboard or slight warm etc. I applied Thermal grizzly reduce the heat as well as running without the bottom case, just alleviate with 0.5cm off the table. The laptop stability is important to me as its my trading workstation, running 3 external monitors lol, 4 screens including the laptop. If u have the chance, can consider applying thermal grizzly, or use those cooling pads, however, the temps dont seems to drop much but i swear, the keyboard feels tiny bit less warm.
I'm using laptop stand to elevate it hoping help to release some heat.
Thanks, will go research for thermal grizzly.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
Had a poor experience on the purchase with them previously send a wrong spec laptop

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think some units may run into issues because of some failure rates. For WIFI card, I feel that falls into this category.

As for the battery, based on my experience with 2 Lenovo laptops over the last 2 years, I think it is normal. Normal not in a good way, but normal that it is very short, Similar to what you observe, a brand new battery loses charge way too fast. The first laptop battery started dropping from 90+ % to a single digit % after about 6 months. I thought I need it for work, so did not bother about it until after a year later. Unfortunately, I did not realise that battery warranty is only 1 year even though I extended the laptop warranty to 3 years. So I got another Lenovo laptop which also exhibit similar poor battery life (thank God the battery did not fail like the earlier laptop) even on day 1. Generally Windows based laptops have very bad battery life, but the Lenovo ones feels really poor to me. The first laptop runs on an AMD processor, while the second runs on an Intel Ice Lake U chip, so I rule out the specs being the issue.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thermal Grizzly certainly helps based on my own experience, but not by much. I used the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and not the liquid metal (Conductonaut). The temps are generally still on the high side, but I do observe higher clock speed when using a better thermal compound. Other culprit for the hot keyboard could be the NVME SSD as its usually situated below the CPU and under the middle portion of the keyboard. My Intel based laptop came with a Samsung 2242 form factor SSD that runs so hot that I can't leave my finger on it for a second. Its scorching hot like touching a boiling kettle even with a copper heat spread on it. In the end, I replaced it with a more common 2280 format and it was a lot cooler.

Last edited:

bullsback

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thermal Grizzly certainly helps based on my own experience, but not by much. I used the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and not the liquid metal (Conductonaut). The temps are generally still on the high side, but I do observe higher clock speed when using a better thermal compound. Other culprit for the hot keyboard could be the NVME SSD as its usually situated below the CPU and under the middle portion of the keyboard. My Intel based laptop came with a Samsung 2242 form factor SSD that runs so hot that I can't leave my finger on it for a second. Its scorching hot like touching a boiling kettle even with a copper heat spread on it. In the end, I replaced it with a more common 2280 format and it was a lot cooler.
That's good to know, i think its maybe u used the Samsung PM981 SSD which is the top of the line, so the controller modules typically run very hot. I would say that Lenovo Legion 5 run pretty cool and for most people no issues. On my Asus Vivobook 14 8265U, its run pretty hot, so i did some mods and insert aluminum sheets insulated with masking tape to suck the additional heat as well as making some further mods to the airflow, in general i dunno why but Asus has extremely poor heat exhaust mechanism for their lower ends models. Lenovo legion is already pretty good but just that i am quite anal about heat output.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's good to know, i think its maybe u used the Samsung PM981 SSD which is the top of the line, so the controller modules typically run very hot. I would say that Lenovo Legion 5 run pretty cool and for most people no issues. On my Asus Vivobook 14 8265U, its run pretty hot, so i did some mods and insert aluminum sheets insulated with masking tape to suck the additional heat as well as making some further mods to the airflow, in general i dunno why but Asus has extremely poor heat exhaust mechanism for their lower ends models. Lenovo legion is already pretty good but just that i am quite anal about heat output.
To your point about poor heat exhaust mechanism, I feel its due to (1)cost cut, (2) deliberate so that you will look for a high end mode, and, (3)to reduce weight.

The SSD that came with my laptop is a Samsung PM991. I feel the form factor also played a part in the heat because of the limited size, all the hot components are crammed together. The controller contributes to the bulk of the heat. In an experiment, I actually placed a fairly think ramsink on it, and after transferring some files, the ramsink also got extremely hot.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.