LG 2021 TV discussion thread

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same here. Have been aiming for the 77" models. But they are pricing it way too unfairly by thousands of dollars.

As for me, I am holding out till all 3 manufacturers come into play allowing us to get higher peak brightness OLEDs from 'JOLED with its proper 3 RGB subpixels', 'LG OLED' and 'QD-OLED using cyan colour of OLED to shine on the Quantum Dot crystals making it glow brighter than the light input of the cyan colored OLED' which starts from next year and will be shown at CES in January.

Then I'll decide if the new OLED technology implemented by 3 different manufacturers are actually worth the upgrade over the now still the same 800 nit peak brightness of the LG line up all the way back in 2018 to this year's 2021 model.

Whichever manufacturer offers all HDMI 2.1 ports and features and with a bright OLED display will win my vote to get that TV. Can't wait! But I'll still wait to around this period next year to ensure many of us will benefit from this amazing prices which are more fair to consumers as opposed to buying it early and showing that there's market demand for it and therefore, they can continue to charge unfair amounts.
Agree, crazy pricing who wanna buy. But 77 inch was like 12k last year, now 77c1 is around 8k range, will fall till 7k in 1-2 months but not even close to US pricing. Haiz

punggolkid

Reaction score

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
With the current brightness level (800+nits +/-) How is it so far? The closest thing that is at this range and exceeding it is my S21U's screen.
It's fine actually.
Remember. The 800 nits is peak brightness. Most HDR movies do not go that high and are saving up that high peak brightness of 1000 nits or more for the specular highlight details such as a gun muzzle flash, explosions, some sci-fi lasers, car headlights, torchlights, direct sunlight and so on.

So well over 90% or even higher of most movies do not even utilize 800 nits; let alone 1000 nits.

If you watch shows published by Disney including the Marvel and Star Wars franchise, they can appear quite dark at times especially if they force you to experience true SDR in an HDR container which is only up to 100 nits with its specular highlights being only up to 300 nits (looking at you, The Mandalorian) .

But gladly, many HDR movies now makes sure the SDR scenes can go up to 350 nits. So throughout most scenes in HDR movies, it will be around that brightness.

So yup. You don't really have to worry about the peak brightness that much. Usually when such peak brightness does come, the scenes are usually dark. Because the difference between the dark and bright parts of the scene will be more dramatic and impactful.

So having the advantage of OLED where the darks are what it is supposed to look like and not a glowing blob of grey, you will tend to notice the HDR bright explosions looking a lot more impactful.
Or even watching a horror movie where the place and main character is barely lit and you depend on their flashlight for their source of light. That difference in contrast between the inkier blacks of OLED and the bright flashlight is sure to be an experience. It's quite immersive.

Oh! And in terms of gaming, it's extremely fast and won't give you smears seen with LED based TVs including Samsung QLED.

phatty81

Reaction score
You power off wall switch every time you off the TV?
No... I just switch off via the remote all the time... Anyway, I was advised to run the pixel refresher manually for 1 whole week everyday... I did it 14 times within the 1 week... but the grey bars were still present... LG came down after 1 week and replaced my panel, but they acknowledged it as a hardware defect and not image burn in.. I was advised to minimize my watching pattern with subtitles enabled for long periods of time.. which I rarely do anyway.. Didn't expect OLED usage to be this cumbersome..

BiggieZee

Reaction score
Anybody can recommend good tv stand to raise the height of the tv? Planning to buy c1 but low n wide stand bit put off for me. Don mind cables being seen cause being Block by my hw q900a anyway. So top of sound bar n bottom screen of tv got a gap of few mm is ok for me

petetherock

Reaction score
Try using a few blocks of wood eg from Ikea meant for wall shelves first, cheap and good.

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody can recommend good tv stand to raise the height of the tv? Planning to buy c1 but low n wide stand bit put off for me. Don mind cables being seen cause being Block by my hw q900a anyway. So top of sound bar n bottom screen of tv got a gap of few mm is ok for me
I also looking for this solution. The C series stand is just rubbish, need to be higher to place sound bar.

moron+genius

Reaction score
I just used some rubber blocks that I gotten from a nearby hardware shop to raise up C7 to clear soundbar. Very economical method

BiggieZee

Reaction score
Not bad all ur ideas guys. Nvm. I try to set it up as is n see whether need to raise or not. Or maybe place the tv such as the back stand protruding out a bit of my current tv cabinet

spell

Master Member
Reaction score
Using a C1 now, anyone have problems with the Google Assistant button on the remote?
When I press it (also tried long press), a text will appear on the tv saying it's not supported in my country.

However if I press the mic button on the remote, it is working, (eg I can use voice to open YouTube, Disney , switch off tv)

Did I miss some setup on the Google Assistant part ? I checked the tv location is Singapore, & I google the first time the button is pressed, it should display a Google Assistant setup screen.

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using a C1 now, anyone have problems with the Google Assistant button on the remote?
When I press it (also tried long press), a text will appear on the tv saying it's not supported in my country.

However if I press the mic button on the remote, it is working, (eg I can use voice to open YouTube, Disney , switch off tv)

Did I miss some setup on the Google Assistant part ? I checked the tv location is Singapore, & I google the first time the button is pressed, it should display a Google Assistant setup screen.

I am in the same sampan as you. However I begin to wonder if Google pull out service/support for TV.

KoChi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a c1.. need help here.. do I need a tv box to watch MediaCorp channnel? Or just buy an antenna will do? Going to cancel my starhub box soon.. thanks!!

petetherock

Reaction score
Antenna for free to air channels
See the antenna thread for more info on reception

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thats why even with the huge discount with the C1 ($28xx) for 65inch and under $2k for 55 inch.. I'm not touching it after the confirmation that there's no clear indication of warranty coverage for burn in.
LG SG warranty doesn’t cover burn-in as that’s the inherent issue with OLED panel. However, Best Denki extended warranty does cover burn-in. Not sure about the rest of the retailers’ extended warranty…

Hir0 -

Master Member
Reaction score
LG SG warranty doesn’t cover burn-in as that’s the inherent issue with OLED panel. However, Best Denki extended warranty does cover burn-in. Not sure about the rest of the retailers’ extended warranty…

hey adiBoy do you happen to know if this is stated on their T&C? I asked a BD sales rep abt this a week ago and they mention that just like other retailer, their extended warranty don't cover burn in

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey adiBoy do you happen to know if this is stated on their T&C? I asked a BD sales rep abt this a week ago and they mention that just like other retailer, their extended warranty don't cover burn in
I’m not sure about the TnC. I was told that BD warranty covers burn in when I was looking to get their LG OLED display set last year.

I was worried about burn-in on the display set and they told me LG warranty doesn’t even cover burn in but can get BD extended warranty as it covers burn in. To what extent I’m not sure as I never proved further since I decided against buying the display set.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.