LG 38GN950 is this good for gaming ?

Goodshot

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what do you recommend ? @Goodshot

is it too big ?
I duno how u gonna use , for me i mostly watch movie / surf net so ultra wide is fine . But if i were 80% use on gaming i would find a 27'' 1440p 144hz screen , some game like dota very hard to play at ultrawide , if CS go still ok

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LG 38GN950 is this good for gaming ?
It depends on what you define as good. I was eyeing this monitor last year as well because I was contemplating to get an IPS ultra wide monitor, and the higher resolution on this monitor along with other bells and whistles is very attractive. However, I dropped the idea because,
1. Cost - There is no doubt it’s a very expensive monitor. With all the discounts applied, I was able to get it down to 1.7K, but that is still a lot of money for an IPS monitor
2. Overkill - I am doing fine with cheaper VA high refresh rate monitor, and having better colours, etc, is unlikely to make any meaningful improvement to my gaming experience. HDR600 is also pointless since this is still an edge lit display
3. Resolution burden - The higher resolution is great, but the PPI will not change since the screen is also bigger. You do need more powerful GPU to run at higher FPS, so the higher resolution may turn out to be a burden.
If you don’t want to spend too much, you can consider a Xiaomi or Huawei VA ultra wide VA monitor. I’ve used the Xiaomi 34 inch before and it is very good for the price that I paid @ 470, though parallel importer with only a year’s warranty. I’ve since switched to a Pixle 34 inch ultrawide Nano IPS monitor, which I think is better, but cost twice as much.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
better avoid China or S'pore brands...............anyway, i no expert
People have different budget, so there is nothing wrong with China or Singapore brands as long as they meet the requirements and budget. Most brands, regardless of whether they are local or other countries are produced in China, or bought from a Chinese OEM and rebranded. The thing is people want to pay as little as possible, which will certainly mean cost cutting to achieve that price point.

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you define as good. I was eyeing this monitor last year as well because I was contemplating to get an IPS ultra wide monitor, and the higher resolution on this monitor along with other bells and whistles is very attractive. However, I dropped the idea because,
1. Cost - There is no doubt it’s a very expensive monitor. With all the discounts applied, I was able to get it down to 1.7K, but that is still a lot of money for an IPS monitor
2. Overkill - I am doing fine with cheaper VA high refresh rate monitor, and having better colours, etc, is unlikely to make any meaningful improvement to my gaming experience. HDR600 is also pointless since this is still an edge lit display
3. Resolution burden - The higher resolution is great, but the PPI will not change since the screen is also bigger. You do need more powerful GPU to run at higher FPS, so the higher resolution may turn out to be a burden.
If you don’t want to spend too much, you can consider a Xiaomi or Huawei VA ultra wide VA monitor. I’ve used the Xiaomi 34 inch before and it is very good for the price that I paid @ 470, though parallel importer with only a year’s warranty. I’ve since switched to a Pixle 34 inch ultrawide Nano IPS monitor, which I think is better, but cost twice as much.
The Pixle 34 inch is out of stock

so is LG 34gn850 worth while ??? do not see any reviews on Pixle

Last edited:

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am using this monitor. you need minimum 3080 to have decent fps for AAA titles even with DLSS on.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Pixle 34 inch is out of stock

so is LG 34gn850 worth while ??? do not see any reviews on Pixle
Based on my own usage experience with the Pixle 34 inch ultrawide, I feel the monitor is good because of the panel being used, and the price I paid. This is almost 60% of the cost of buying the LG 34GN850. However, you need to be able to overlook some of the design/ external flaws with the monitor, i.e. uneven edges (and I can see the deformed plastic frame), fairly unintuitive OSD and old school buttons for navigation, giant external power brick, etc. At the end of the day, these things don't bother me much, and the monitor essentially met my requirements and price.
As to whether the LG 34GN850 is worth it, I think it pretty much depends on you. Again, it is a monitor in the 1.3 to 1.5K mark, and despite it being a good IPS ultrawide monitor, I personally won't want to pay this much. At the end of the day, it is just another IPS edge lit monitor.

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Based on my own usage experience with the Pixle 34 inch ultrawide, I feel the monitor is good because of the panel being used, and the price I paid. This is almost 60% of the cost of buying the LG 34GN850. However, you need to be able to overlook some of the design/ external flaws with the monitor, i.e. uneven edges (and I can see the deformed plastic frame), fairly unintuitive OSD and old school buttons for navigation, giant external power brick, etc. At the end of the day, these things don't bother me much, and the monitor essentially met my requirements and price.
As to whether the LG 34GN850 is worth it, I think it pretty much depends on you. Again, it is a monitor in the 1.3 to 1.5K mark, and despite it being a good IPS ultrawide monitor, I personally won't want to pay this much. At the end of the day, it is just another IPS edge lit monitor.
How to know whether is it edge lit ? Oled is still very high .

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to know whether is it edge lit ? Oled is still very high .
By reading the specs. I won't recommend spending so much for an OLED monitor. I am using my monitors for work and game, and I feel that Windows have too many static images by default that may cause burn ins. I rather just buy a monitor and use without having to worry about the panel getting burn ins, having to make changes to the way I use the computer so that it will minimize burn ins, etc. Thus, I decided to just settle for a decent IPS monitor.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.