Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

troubledgirl

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience.

I am a foreign worker (EP holder) and I had this issue way back 2019 and Clinically diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety in 2018.

I had some financial issues last 2019, I had to find some other ways, my salary is not enough to cover my expenses. TBH, my declared salary that time was not the right one, it was for my pass purpose that's why they have to declare higher than my real salary. I was only taking at least 45% of the entire pay. (I am still grateful). I tried to work part time as sales but still not enough to cover it. (someone from my family has been sent to hospital- in case someone will ask why I needed too much cash)

I have my saving still not enough to cover, so I went to some cash lenders but they cannot offer me much. So I went to search some lenders in google -- THIS WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER DID -- I WhatsApp that person and he then called me.

I thought he was genuine, I was so naïve, I really didn't know that they are illegal. 1st the amount came too easy, small amount I was asked to return 150% the following week just a trial.

The 1st transaction was so smooth that I really though it will be fine.. So I asked for a higher amount, but still not enough so I ask some lenders online again. - WRONG MOVE!

So I was in this ball of loan sharks that I have to borrow from B to pay A, borrow C to pay B and so on. I was just borrowing just to pay. Some lenders are kind a OK at first and if you don't pay ON TIME, that started my nightmare. FYI: Your number is passed over to different LS, that's why you will be receiving tons of messages asking if you want to take loans.

I was alone, no one knows what's happening, luckily, the info I gave them was my other details but unfortunately they have my IC and company details..

The Harassment starts when I was delayed in paying the amount (the payment is weekly) how can I come up with that money if they only gave me a week. I was like paying a lot of LS everyday. (believe me I got at least 30 of them - started in small amount)

1. They called our main office line - every F* day.
2. If they cannot reach you, they will call the other office branches.
3. They sent letters in my office, pass letter from our office doors. Visit physically too.
4. Send me scary videos.
5. They ask me to always look behind my back, that someone has been following me and will kill me anytime.
6. They send letters in my house (luckily I am staying in a private condo) so they can only send me letters.
6. Lastly, they called my boss - this was the hardest part.

My boss then found out about this, no matter how kind you are and no matter how much heart you given to your job, it will not be enough for some people, I was asked to leave the company due to this reason.
I stayed with them for 11 years.

The harassment has continue for 5 to 6 months...
So I was 63kg when it started and went to 50kg just because of this. I didn't eat, not sleep, not productive at work. I was lost. I was in hell. I don't have money, not one knows what's happening, I was alone, I was always crying, I was about to lose my job. So I decided to do something, I committed suicide. YES, but I was lucky that someone had found me, rushed to hospital and was ok then after.

BUT WAIT, this *******s doesn't have heart. They still harass me.

To cut the story, 2020 I was terminated (all happened before pandemic hits) But I think God knows what I was about to do again, I am decided to jump off the roof top. I am eager, that is just after 2 weeks after my suicide attempt. My company cancelled my pass and I was bout to lose a home too (not paying already). I have no money and (while typing I am crying) no place to stay and the worst part is, I lost my phone - SO I THOUGHT IT WAS THE WORSE PART, BUT NO IT WAS THE BEST THING HAPPENED TO ME.

When you don't have the phone, you don't have the any contacts, so I was like a GHOST to all LS. I was gone, poof! Like I just died.

I was scared for almost 3 months after that happened, cause I really don't know what is happening, all I know they still call my previous company and looking for me but I was no longer working there.

2020 - I was jobless for 9 months and struggle my way up. Border was closed so I was allowed to stay for few months, I worked at home cause I need to survive, I have a family that needs me. I worked hard and I was lucky, I found a job that I love and saw the potential in me (the pay is correct too, this company know my worth) - I became a Nurse and now I am going to UK to pursue my career. -Thanks to my employer.

What's the lesson?
1. Loan from LEGAL money lenders.
2. Always think 3x before making decisions.
3. Talk to someone. - very very needed!
4. Pray - I am a Catholic, so I prayed so hard and promise to help people who made the same mistakes I did.
5. There is always a RAINBOW after the Rain.

Sorry for my long post. Hope that if you read this (I know you have some issues that's why you are in this forum) it will give you some glimpse of hope. :)

Always Stay Safe.

ForBetterDays

Reaction score

I am a foreign worker (EP holder) and I had this issue way back 2019 and Clinically diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety in 2018.

I had some financial issues last 2019, I had to find some other ways, my salary is not enough to cover my expenses. TBH, my declared salary that time was not the right one, it was for my pass purpose that's why they have to declare higher than my real salary. I was only taking at least 45% of the entire pay. (I am still grateful). I tried to work part time as sales but still not enough to cover it. (someone from my family has been sent to hospital- in case someone will ask why I needed too much cash)

I have my saving still not enough to cover, so I went to some cash lenders but they cannot offer me much. So I went to search some lenders in google -- THIS WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER DID -- I WhatsApp that person and he then called me.

I thought he was genuine, I was so naïve, I really didn't know that they are illegal. 1st the amount came too easy, small amount I was asked to return 150% the following week just a trial.

The 1st transaction was so smooth that I really though it will be fine.. So I asked for a higher amount, but still not enough so I ask some lenders online again. - WRONG MOVE!

So I was in this ball of loan sharks that I have to borrow from B to pay A, borrow C to pay B and so on. I was just borrowing just to pay. Some lenders are kind a OK at first and if you don't pay ON TIME, that started my nightmare. FYI: Your number is passed over to different LS, that's why you will be receiving tons of messages asking if you want to take loans.

I was alone, no one knows what's happening, luckily, the info I gave them was my other details but unfortunately they have my IC and company details..

The Harassment starts when I was delayed in paying the amount (the payment is weekly) how can I come up with that money if they only gave me a week. I was like paying a lot of LS everyday. (believe me I got at least 30 of them - started in small amount)

3. They sent letters in my office, pass letter from our office doors. Visit physically too.
4. Send me scary videos.
5. They ask me to always look behind my back, that someone has been following me and will kill me anytime.
6. They send letters in my house (luckily I am staying in a private condo) so they can only send me letters.

My boss then found out about this, no matter how kind you are and no matter how much heart you given to your job, it will not be enough for some people, I was asked to leave the company due to this reason.

So I was 63kg when it started and went to 50kg just because of this. I didn't eat, not sleep, not productive at work. I was lost. I was in hell. I don't have money, not one knows what's happening, I was alone, I was always crying, I was about to lose my job. So I decided to do something, I committed suicide. YES, but I was lucky that someone had found me, rushed to hospital and was ok then after.

To cut the story, 2020 I was terminated (all happened before pandemic hits) But I think God knows what I was about to do again, I am decided to jump off the roof top. I am eager, that is just after 2 weeks after my suicide attempt. My company cancelled my pass and I was bout to lose a home too (not paying already). I have no money and (while typing I am crying) no place to stay and the worst part is, I lost my phone - SO I THOUGHT IT WAS THE WORSE PART, BUT NO IT WAS THE BEST THING HAPPENED TO ME.

When you don't have the phone, you don't have the any contacts, so I was like a GHOST to all LS. I was gone, poof! Like I just died.

I was scared for almost 3 months after that happened, cause I really don't know what is happening, all I know they still call my previous company and looking for me but I was no longer working there.

2020 - I was jobless for 9 months and struggle my way up. Border was closed so I was allowed to stay for few months, I worked at home cause I need to survive, I have a family that needs me. I worked hard and I was lucky, I found a job that I love and saw the potential in me (the pay is correct too, this company know my worth) - I became a Nurse and now I am going to UK to pursue my career. -Thanks to my employer.

What's the lesson?
4. Pray - I am a Catholic, so I prayed so hard and promise to help people who made the same mistakes I did.

Sorry for my long post. Hope that if you read this (I know you have some issues that's why you are in this forum) it will give you some glimpse of hope. :)

Always Stay Safe.
Thanks for sharing. All the best for you new life!

Huilan3105

Reaction score

4. Send me scary videos.

What's the lesson?

Always Stay Safe.
All the best for your new life and avoid from doing the same mistakes.

always have a second voice to talk to before you do anything.

ForBetterDays

Reaction score
Hi I am also in similar problem right now. Making me very stressed, and sleepless. I had to pawn my jewelry for a certain issue. And I had to retrieve back, therefore I had to WhatsApp some of the loan messages I received. And 1 of them replied me, I ask for 2k loan . He ask me my ic front and back, workplace num, number of atleast 2 family number. And I was a stupid person to give him the details. And then he said that he will transfer me 300 first , and I have to pay back 500. To make sure that I can prove that I can pay back. As I didn't have the cpf prove and stuff . So I did that , he gave me a week to back . But on the payment day he ask me defer , and I fought back OTP stating that I didn't even say I want to defer . And after almost a hour he said okay . And he transferred me another 1k . And ask me to pay back 1.3k in a week.
. He said otp that I shouldn't take any loan from anyone ,and he will know if I do. And he will increase the money. I mean I won't , but I am just afraid that he use another to transfer me. I am extremely stressed right now. He has my address , my family members number, my number. I have been having lots of unknown phone calls since the I contacted the person. After the 1k incident, thats when I knew I am being scam. I was just thinking of paying back the 1.3k as long as they disturb me and family after that.
Please immediately report to the police about the issue and close your bank account and also inform the peoples who’s contact number you have given about the situation you are in. Close all your social media accounts.

Change your mobile number and ask those whose number u have given to do the same. Setup a cctv and just be vigilant. They are gonna continue to harass and threaten you whether u return the money or not. take the necessary measure quickly and be prepared. They are gonna try anything wether u pay them or not. So there’s no point negotiating with them. The idea is to milk as much money as they can from you. It’s not to let you go after u give them back what is theirs. Read through the forum. You will understand. It doesn’t end with you paying back.

If you don’t want to change ur phone number, block and ignore all the calls that comes to your phone that you don’t recognise. They cannot and won’t physically hurt you. Just a lot of mental torture. Even if they send people to your house, the CCTV will work as a deterrent. And the runner will surely Kena caught. No hiding.

Huilan3105

Reaction score
Hi I am also in similar problem right now. Making me very stressed, and sleepless. I had to pawn my jewelry for a certain issue. And I had to retrieve back, therefore I had to WhatsApp some of the loan messages I received. And 1 of them replied me, I ask for 2k loan . He ask me my ic front and back, workplace num, number of atleast 2 family number. And I was a stupid person to give him the details. And then he said that he will transfer me 300 first , and I have to pay back 500. To make sure that I can prove that I can pay back. As I didn't have the cpf prove and stuff . So I did that , he gave me a week to back . But on the payment day he ask me defer , and I fought back OTP stating that I didn't even say I want to defer . And after almost a hour he said okay . And he transferred me another 1k . And ask me to pay back 1.3k in a week.
. He said otp that I shouldn't take any loan from anyone ,and he will know if I do. And he will increase the money. I mean I won't , but I am just afraid that he use another to transfer me. I am extremely stressed right now. He has my address , my family members number, my number. I have been having lots of unknown phone calls since the I contacted the person. After the 1k incident, thats when I knew I am being scam. I was just thinking of paying back the 1.3k as long as they disturb me and family after that.
Inform your current work place boss that what you are facing and if you are being asked to look for another job then so be it. Deactivate all your social media acc. save only ur family members contact number and remind them not to pick up any unknown calls apart from those numbers had save in the phone contact book.

I do understand that your family members will be angry and do not want to forgive you but tell them the true and they will help you go overcome this period of time together with you.

try to go to more people location while going back home and also if can go out lesser for this period of time.

Painkiller777

Reaction score
Listen to the bros and sis here, it really doesnt stop even if you pay them the initial agreed amount. Once they have your details, you pay they will harass, you dont pay they also will harass you. Make police report, ignore them and do not pay them. If you really want to pay them back the agreed 1.3k by all means up to you. Maybe u feel u can sleep better if u do that. But i can assure u, they will still harass even if u pay them back this amount. You can read up on this whole thread. All of us here are living examples.

Joewang44

Reaction score
You are not scammed because you entered the agreement with him knowingly. But if you have to share the story with others.. do say you were scammed. That you thought it was a real lender at first.

Having delt with many loansharks.. some are really genuine in lending and leaving you alone if you pay back on agreed terms. While others are not. And rest are just pure scammers.

If you are in the postion to pay back the 1.3, i'd suggest you to. So at least if he is genuine, it will clear the debt. And if he asks you to reloan, make up an excuse that you are traveling and you will contact him in 1 or 2 months once you are back. Or that you were fired and going back to home country (if you are a foreigner), or something like that. Important to block your bank account. So that he won't just transfer money to you and then force the new loan onto you. Just ignore all other calls.

But... being how unpredictable these idiots are.. like others shared it may turn for the worse. You're really at a 50-50 now. Either think for the worse and as others shared, start preparing for the worse.. or take a shot and hope that he will leave you alone once you guys are even.

QuixoticT

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m in a very similar situation with quite a few of our bro/sis here. I’ve read through around half of the post here and kudos to everyone who is in the midst of this difficult times and also to those who manage to walk out of it. I have actually just started to try to be rid of all these LS recently.

How it all started was i was young and stupid. Got convinced that they were LML and borrowed from them. All was fine at the start and they actually didn't harass me after payment has been made except for the messages every now and then if i want to take up a new loan. however recently i've came across a couple who were just plain unreasonable and when i told them that i was unable to pay up, they even shorten the 'deadline'.

As of now after receiving threats of contacting my office and them actually sending messages to my NOK, a police report has been made and i'm now awaiting the IO to contact me.

Despite reading everyone’s story I’m still feeling rather stressed and having sleepless nights. Anyone of you know of the cost of installing cctv as well. Or is it really necessary as there are already cctvs by spf at every lift lobby

ForBetterDays

Reaction score
CCTV is generally for ur own peace of mind. You can see if anyone suspicious is hanging around and it helps the police too, incase anything happens. Not saying it will, but the exact time and what not. They usually cost between 50$ to around $100. You can easily get one in Sim Lim and get instructions on how to set it up on YouTube.
It can also act as a deterrent against the runners.

Joewang44

Reaction score
Hang in there Quix. The first 1-3 months very stressful. First few weeks I was sleeping in the living room. But trust me, over time you get numb to it. And once they start to harass, it will eventually die down. As long as you don't give in or contact them.. they will go away. They may splash. They will embarrass you. Can read my earlier post on how they will.

Through NOK, they will try to embarrass you. They may even get your NOK personal details like address and IC ect (through their HP number). They will then treaten to splash their homes if they don't pay on your behalf. Got to weather through that period. Ask your NOK don't reply and keep on blocking their numbers. The LS will have several numbers but eventually they will run out. Same when they call the office, don't enagage and hang up. Or ask your company to say that you left. Eventually they will stop.

CCTV sim lim can buy less than $100. Use double sided tape or drill it in. Run the wire into the home and connect to wifi. It will act as a deterrence to people who want to do funny stuff. And if they do, at least you got evidence. Confirm the runners will kena caught eventually. If you can, leave your door slightly open at night and turn on the front light to make it look like people still awake. Will act as another deterrence.

IO won't do anything really until something happens. Unfortunately their hands quite tied. So don't expect wonders from them. But once you splashed, the runners sure caught eventually. At most they may splash you once or twice.. but each time their runners caught they will eventually shift their focus to other targets.

QuixoticT

Reaction score
Hang in there Quix. The first 1-3 months very stressful. First few weeks I was sleeping in the living room. But trust me, over time you get numb to it. And once they start to harass, it will eventually die down. As long as you don't give in or contact them.. they will go away. They may splash. They will embarrass you. Can read my earlier post on how they will.

Through NOK, they will try to embarrass you. They may even get your NOK personal details like address and IC ect (through their HP number). They will then treaten to splash their homes if they don't pay on your behalf. Got to weather through that period. Ask your NOK don't reply and keep on blocking their numbers. The LS will have several numbers but eventually they will run out. Same when they call the office, don't enagage and hang up. Or ask your company to say that you left. Eventually they will stop.

CCTV sim lim can buy less than $100. Use double sided tape or drill it in. Run the wire into the home and connect to wifi. It will act as a deterrence to people who want to do funny stuff. And if they do, at least you got evidence. Confirm the runners will kena caught eventually. If you can, leave your door slightly open at night and turn on the front light to make it look like people still awake. Will act as another deterrence.

IO won't do anything really until something happens. Unfortunately their hands quite tied. So don't expect wonders from them. But once you splashed, the runners sure caught eventually. At most they may splash you once or twice.. but each time their runners caught they will eventually shift their focus to other targets.
Hi bro thanks for the comment. I’ve read through quite a few post but I still can’t help feeling stressed. Currently on D2 with 2 uml and today is also the due for another 3uml. cant help feeling uneasy

Joewang44

Reaction score
I feel you. I was in your position. It's not going to be easy... but only time will get you through. Hang in there.

The uml mostly all same boss, different fronts. One will play good guy while another will play bad guy. Important don't engage. Because once you twitch, they will bite even harder.

Only worry is for Malaysians who take SG loans and have NOK in Malaysia. That one really tricky situation. But if you are based in Singapore, situation more easy to handle. They won't dare to physcially harm you.

QuixoticT

Reaction score
Hais after half a day of peace from the uml that actually harassed me. He kind of gave up after two days. Finally sent me a message agreeing to let me clear. Which I ignored as well. Hopefully one down and Now I’ve to face the music again for the the other uml

QuixoticT

Reaction score
guys have any of you actually came across a al which initially deals with you using WhatsApp and actually uses a legit mobile number to call you

Joewang44

Reaction score
Oh. Their numbers all proxy one. Real numbers signed up unknowingly by others. Like foreigners, ect.

By right supposed to register your ID for line sign ups. Last time can pay more to certain shops to skip that process and they'll find a way to register it to some random person.

Joewang44

Reaction score
Harassment as usual … but I actually saw SPF doing petrols at my level at night. So that’s assuring
Yeah on the cam i spot them almost every other day. Sometimes twice a day. There's a period where theh will be super active and sometimes will just die down then avtive again. In terms of patrolling

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.