Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

cmt2309

Reaction score
You've taken the first few steps e.g. make a police report, informing NOK ... you're gonna be alright if you have read up on the past experiences of others and what to do next. Having a camera installed is also a good step to take.

What you're going through? Others have gone through as well, myself included. I waited it out, endured the hundreds of missed whatsapp calls ... and after a few days it went away

You'll always find support here so do let us know on the outcome

I'm discussing with my family about the CCTV. And I spent the entire evening yesterday reading up this entire thread and the previous one and it's been really helpful.

Also an update on the case: I received a text soliciting loan from an unknown number BUT the name listed in the text surprisingly is the same as the UML fella who harrassed me. I'd like to think it's someone else or maybe from the same ring or these guys recycle names. Who knows. I've forwarded the message received to my IO though (I must be really annoying for sending him emails to update him haha!)

Last edited:

OomphFroglet

Reaction score
Frankly speaking your IO won’t be able to do much but put in record. You won’t be able to stop all these texts. Go and get a cctv to place on your gate to monitor on any suspicious activities or characters. Now you just need to brace yourself and not stress by phone calls. They can’t get to you if you stay strong. Physically they also cannot hurt you.

I'm discussing with my family about the CCTV. And I spent the entire evening yesterday reading up this entire thread and the previous one and it's been really helpful.

Also an update on the case: I received a text soliciting loan from an unknown number BUT the name listed in the text surprisingly is the same as the UML fella who harrassed me. I'd like to think it's someone else or maybe from the same ring or these guys recycle names. Who knows. I've forwarded the message received to my IO though (I must be really annoying for sending him emails to update him haha!)

OomphFroglet

Reaction score
Get the cctv. Trust me. It will ease your mind a bit. Bro, I have been there before. The anxiety and paranoia will make it worse. Always hoping someone is able to lend a listening ear or help to resolve all these. This forum is really useful and helpful. We had been through that as well. The tormenting agony of worries and sleepless nights. Now I can tell you that you will be free from the nightmares. You have the biggest support from your family members. Yes they may be angry or disappointed. But you are not alone in this anymore.

Day 2 after the start of UML harrassment. I came clean with my parents and they're disappointed but came around to be supportive and insist we cooperate and do what the police advised. My IO still has yet to contact me so idk if maybe they feel my case isn't serious or becos nothing physical has occurred yet. So far no further harrassment from the UML but it's still morning so fingers crossed today. At least my family are informed now so we can all stay vigilant.

Also I'm not sure if we should consider putting a cam at our door though my block has tons of police cam becos it's a rather hot area for crimes.PS. Wanna share that I have been diagnosed with depression and mild anxiety since last year and having this happen somehow escalated my anxiety attacks. I'm on regular medication but just wanna ask if anyone else is similar to my case and how you cope with it.

Iamsostress

Reaction score
Day 2 after the start of UML harrassment. I came clean with my parents and they're disappointed but came around to be supportive and insist we cooperate and do what the police advised. My IO still has yet to contact me so idk if maybe they feel my case isn't serious or becos nothing physical has occurred yet. So far no further harrassment from the UML but it's still morning so fingers crossed today. At least my family are informed now so we can all stay vigilant.

Also I'm not sure if we should consider putting a cam at our door though my block has tons of police cam becos it's a rather hot area for crimes.PS. Wanna share that I have been diagnosed with depression and mild anxiety since last year and having this happen somehow escalated my anxiety attacks. I'm on regular medication but just wanna ask if anyone else is similar to my case and how you cope with it.
Hope you will continue to fight once you ghost on them and remember Do Not Pay Anymore to the LS.
Eat and rest well as you need all the energy to pull thru this period.
Install the CCTV if it can easy your mind and brace whatever coming to you.
Your life will be better after that.
Stay strong for your loved ones!

Iamsostress

Reaction score
Updates

Saw someone walking up n down along my house corridor... called e police!

No need to pay a cent to illegal money lender. Just call 999 again if the guy dare to show up. He got more to lose.

Under the Moneylenders Act 2010 (Revised Edition), first-time offenders found guilty of loanshark harassment could be jailed for up to five years, fined a minimum of $5,000 and up to $50,000, and caned between three and six strokes.

Reaction score
Hi all bro/sis

I am one of the dummies who got scammed into the trial loan thingy. I have been reading this thread quietly from Part 1 (nothing better to do). I am writing this to express my gratitude to each and every one of you. Your sharings really gave me strength and great advice. I really appreciate it.

Anyway, I did everything you guys advised. Make a police report, change number, cut contact with them, install CCTV and come clean with my family. Thankfully I have full support from my family and boss. (after some lecturing of course). It is still unsettling no doubt. Thinking what might happen and all that. But I guess I'll have to just suck it up and pull through.

For those who are reading this and is going through what is perceived as hell right now, I wish you strength. But please understand this.... we are the victims in this. We are being scammed. The deferment and whatever charges to be paid are all scams. Paying them will not make the scammers go away. On the contrary, these payments are what brings them to you. Since you are willing to pay, they will keep harassing you.

So please, as counter intuitive as it seems, just walk away. Make a report and change your number. Wait it out. Becoz there is no other way. Calm yourselves down and you will realise no amount of deferment and fees is enough to "close the account".

Once again, I wanna sincerely thank each and every one of you out there riding on this same hell boat. Good luck all. And hope we find peace once again.

Thanks for your story, you are naive no more.

Rest assured once they harass and are captured by CCTV, they will be caught soon enough.

Keep sharing and stopping others from falling into this.

techi0929

Reaction score

Here is a piece of advice. :

I am suffering from major depression for years! Finally about to manage to get over it in February and stop taking medication and than this uml thing happened! Plunged deeper into depression.. Keep paying n paying for months!! Hiding the truth from my family, fearing they will blame me.. Tried committing suicide but unsuccessful.. Chance upon this forum.. Thank God! Since I can't die, I decided to turn the whole thing around. Took all the advice there is here in the forum, make a police report, STOP paying, informed my neighbour, family and workplace. It's NOT easy, trust me.. But after all done, I finally had a good night sleep after months of suffering in silence.. I am still battling my depression but I refuse to take any medication anymore. I will try to fight the Devil in myself on my own. Moral support from loved ones is very important! Which u can find in this forum for a start.. U r NOT alone.. Once all steps are taken in this forum, life will go on as normal, slowly n steadily.. Yes, praying helps too.. Put this episode behind u, n move on.. Those uml is not worth our time.. Now I feel much better and prepared for watever harassment with the support of my family members and friends out here.. Life goes on.. Now, i'm back at work, thanks for the support from my company.. Trust me.. I've gone through hell n back for these few months.. I'm determine to let this episode slide, n so must u.. U r not alone in this battle. At least we all come chance upon this forum and manage to get help.. There's those who are not that lucky n still paying n living in fear out there.. God bless us all..

Once again, I would like to thank all the brothers and sisters out here for all the advice, support and encouragement to see me through this ordeal. Let's all continue to fight this uml pest!! God bless everyone...

Iamsostress

Reaction score

I am suffering from major depression for years! Finally about to manage to get over it in February and stop taking medication and than this uml thing happened! Plunged deeper into depression.. Keep paying n paying for months!! Hiding the truth from my family, fearing they will blame me.. Tried committing suicide but unsuccessful.. Chance upon this forum.. Thank God! Since I can't die, I decided to turn the whole thing around. Took all the advice there is here in the forum, make a police report, STOP paying, informed my neighbour, family and workplace. It's NOT easy, trust me.. But after alŕl done, I finally had a good night sleep after months of suffering in silence.. I am still battling my depression but I refuse to take any medication anymore. I will try to fight the Devil in myself on my own. Moral support from loved ones is very important! Which u can find in this forum for a start.. U r NOT alone.. Once all steps are taken in this forum, life will go on as normal, slowly n steadily.. Yes, praying helps too.. Put this episode behind u, n move on.. Those uml is not worth our time.. Now I feel much better and prepared for watever harassment with the support of my family members and friends out here.. Life goes on.. Now, i'm back at work, thanks for the support from my company.. Trust me.. I've gone through hell n back for these few months.. I'm determine to let this episode slide, n so must u.. U r not alone in this battle. At least we all come chance upon this forum and manage to get help.. There's those who are not that lucky n still paying n living in fear out there.. God bless us all..

Once again, I would like to thank all the brothers and sisters out here for all the advice, support and encouragement to see me through this ordeal. Let's all continue to fight this uml pest!! God bless everyone...
Thanks for your kind sharing and reached out to more people that need help and support from this forum.
Stay strong!

Bebe2019

Reaction score

I am suffering from major depression for years! Finally about to manage to get over it in February and stop taking medication and than this uml thing happened! Plunged deeper into depression.. Keep paying n paying for months!! Hiding the truth from my family, fearing they will blame me.. Tried committing suicide but unsuccessful.. Chance upon this forum.. Thank God! Since I can't die, I decided to turn the whole thing around. Took all the advice there is here in the forum, make a police report, STOP paying, informed my neighbour, family and workplace. It's NOT easy, trust me.. But after all done, I finally had a good night sleep after months of suffering in silence.. I am still battling my depression but I refuse to take any medication anymore. I will try to fight the Devil in myself on my own. Moral support from loved ones is very important! Which u can find in this forum for a start.. U r NOT alone.. Once all steps are taken in this forum, life will go on as normal, slowly n steadily.. Yes, praying helps too.. Put this episode behind u, n move on.. Those uml is not worth our time.. Now I feel much better and prepared for watever harassment with the support of my family members and friends out here.. Life goes on.. Now, i'm back at work, thanks for the support from my company.. Trust me.. I've gone through hell n back for these few months.. I'm determine to let this episode slide, n so must u.. U r not alone in this battle. At least we all come chance upon this forum and manage to get help.. There's those who are not that lucky n still paying n living in fear out there.. God bless us all..

Yes!!!!! Stay positive and stronger. I was in the same situation as u r a few months ago and I know what u going tru. I am grateful I found this forum and all those ppl that give me encouragement. I was on the verge or suicide too but with lots of support from ppl from this forum I able to fight myself from those scumbags but not after losing xxxx to them. Please take care.

hungryllama

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing, very encouraged to read this! Been following this thread for a while, and I know of a good number of friends in this situation. Important is that folks here know they are not alone in going through this, and it's perfectly okay to get help for mental wellness issues. Stay strong!

Jigsawpuzzle89

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had an encounter with LS

Few weeks ago, i was browsing through google to see if there is any short terms loan. founded 1 and already make sure it's LML so i apply my interest.

The next day, rcv a call from a random number claiming that i had submit an interest and gave me an exact timing of the time i apply.

quite convincing, so he requested my NRIC, NOK and income statement (CPF Contributions). stupidly, i sent him through whatsapp. After which he request me to take a photo of me holding my IC. sound fishy to me, so i reject and say i dont need anymore loans now. and i proceed to delete the details i sent.

Few days past, he called me everyday asking for loan. i have 2 sims and whatsapp on my phone. so when he asked NOK details. i simply pass my the other sims number. to my surprise, he call the NOK number and ask to speak to my NOK. he provided the name too. i was the one answering btw.

Now im very worried because im not sure if he save or took down my full NRIC details. really worry he will disturb my neighbours do whatever things they are good at. sigh.

i had already block his number from call and whatsapp.

any advise?

Last edited:

Iamsostress

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had an encounter with LS

Few weeks ago, i was browsing through google to see if there is any short terms loan. founded 1 and already make sure it's LML so i apply my interest.

The next day, rcv a call from a random number claiming that i had submit an interest and gave me an exact timing of the time i apply.

quite convincing, so he requested my NRIC, NOK and income statement (CPF Contributions). stupidly, i sent him through whatsapp. After which he request me to take a photo of me holding my IC. sound fishy to me, so i reject and say i dont need anymore loans now. and i proceed to delete the details i sent.

Few days past, he called me everyday asking for loan. i have 2 sims and whatsapp on my phone. so when he asked NOK details. i simply pass my the other sims number. to my surprise, he call the NOK number and ask to speak to my NOK. he provided the name too. i was the one answering btw.

Now im very worried because im not sure if he save or took down my full NRIC details. really worry he will disturb my neighbours do whatever things they are good at. sigh.

i had already block his number from call and whatsapp.

any advise?
Not to worried and do not pay them any single cents.
Make a police report if that make you feel calm.
You haven't took from them any single cents yet but i believe they will keep calling you until they force loan to you.
Install call blocker and blacklist any unknown or private number.
PM if need some advice.

Jigsawpuzzle89

Reaction score
Not to worried and do not pay them any single cents.
Make a police report if that make you feel calm.
You haven't took from them any single cents yet but i believe they will keep calling you until they force loan to you.
Install call blocker and blacklist any unknown or private number.
PM if need some advice.

Noted bro. done all that. i had inform my NOK to be extra careful too. I always extra careful when doing anything online. i already fall into this trap. i cant imagine how many people had been scammed all this while. really sad and fked up.

Iamsostress

Reaction score
Noted bro. done all that. i had inform my NOK to be extra careful too. I always extra careful when doing anything online. i already fall into this trap. i cant imagine how many people had been scammed all this while. really sad and fked up.
Well life has to moved on and face up whatever coming to you and stay vigilant and don't keep in contact with all the faceless LS anymore.
Continue your life as usual and stay vigilant.

Brightside001

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks All brothers and sisters here for sharing. That really help me walk through the darkest day of my life. I am a victim of trial loan also. For this who just got into this mess, PLEASE follow the advice. Very helpful. Report to SPF, notify your love ones, stop paying etc..
I believe I am really clear of it.(hopefully) And also a thousand thanks to SPF for doing the job well. Lastly, to those who do or help evil doings, hope they can repent also. Good luck everybody.

seowliao

Reaction score
thumbs up SPF for their good job ...for all the menace, agony and harassment these scammers have incur on me and other victims

16 October 2019
Two Men Arrested For Loanshark Harassment

https://www.police.gov.sg/news-and-publications/media-releases/20191016_ARREST_Two_men_arrested_for_loanshark_harassment_G

17 October 2019

https://www.police.gov.sg/news-and-publications/media-releases/20191017_ARREST_Two_Men_Arrested_For_Loanshark_Harassment_L

17 October 2019
136 Arrested In Two Anti-Loansharking Operations

https://www.police.gov.sg/news-and-publications/media-releases/20191017_ARREST_136_Arrested_In_Two_Anti_Loansharking_Operations_CID

cmt2309

Reaction score
And it's Day 4 since my ordeal - so far yesterday my NOK received a whatsapp from the UML who harrassed me sending a photo of my IC and beautiful face with the huge O$P$ words. My NOK isn't that good with tech stuff so he showed it to me and i explained to him what it was and simply deleted and blocked the contact. Not too sure about today but we're prepared for more strings of harrassments via phones and all that. For now there hasn't been any physical harrassments thankfully but we're prepared for that too. Waiting for TC to approve our CCTV permit now.

Also thank you so much for all the advise and motivational words - I've finally been able to eat with ease and also get a good oid night sleep now.

Alia88

Reaction score
thumbs up SPF for their good job ...for all the menace, agony and harassment these scammers have incur on me and other victims

16 October 2019

https://www.police.gov.sg/news-and-publications/media-releases/20191016_ARREST_Two_men_arrested_for_loanshark_harassment_G

17 October 2019

https://www.police.gov.sg/news-and-publications/media-releases/20191017_ARREST_Two_Men_Arrested_For_Loanshark_Harassment_L

17 October 2019
136 Arrested In Two Anti-Loansharking Operations

https://www.police.gov.sg/news-and-publications/media-releases/20191017_ARREST_136_Arrested_In_Two_Anti_Loansharking_Operations_CID

Kudos to SPF!

Reaction score
And it's Day 4 since my ordeal - so far yesterday my NOK received a whatsapp from the UML who harrassed me sending a photo of my IC and beautiful face with the huge O$P$ words. My NOK isn't that good with tech stuff so he showed it to me and i explained to him what it was and simply deleted and blocked the contact. Not too sure about today but we're prepared for more strings of harrassments via phones and all that. For now there hasn't been any physical harrassments thankfully but we're prepared for that too. Waiting for TC to approve our CCTV permit now.

Also thank you so much for all the advise and motivational words - I've finally been able to eat with ease and also get a good oid night sleep now.

Hang in there. Once they find they cannot move you no matter what they do, they will give up soon enough.

You can file more police report if they threaten you. You can do it online. If they ever move to physical harassment, call 999 asap.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.