Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

InADilemma01

Reaction score
Yes, never give specific details. You also don't need to narrate exact time of event if it can lead any lurking UML of yours in this thread.

And yes, assume they also read posts here. But our prevention steps seems solid.

So far so good. Added one more CCTV so both sides covered. Also bought cloud service to save CCTV. Now SPF more frequent in patrolling even in the wee hours. But maybe also cos of ** to warn public not to loiter unnecessarily. Could be a blessing in disguise.

green72

Reaction score
So far so good. Added one more CCTV so both sides covered. Also bought cloud service to save CCTV. Now SPF more frequent in patrolling even in the wee hours. But maybe also cos of ** to warn public not to loiter unnecessarily. Could be a blessing in disguise.

It's their SOP to patrol at anytime of the day and any frequency at your place as SPF deemed it is required now based on your case. Don't think because of **.

And don't have to mention here a what time or frequency they patrol. Let them have the element of surprise in case Ah long following this thread.

I too observed these patrols for my case. Rest easy now since got "Big Brother" helping you watch your outside home security.

Just stay vigilant.

Last edited:

InADilemma01

Reaction score
It's their SOP to patrol at anytime of the day and any frequency at your place as SPF deemed it is required now based on your case. Don't think because of **.

And don't have to mention here a what time or frequency they patrol. Let them have the element of surprise in case Ah long following this thread.

I too observed these patrols for my case. Rest easy now since got "Big Brother" helping you watch your outside home security.

Just stay vigilant.

Think so too... Thank you. Will update when there is more

Bestisyettocome123

Reaction score
Hi, did they really come to splash your house even though there are cameras around? Did you install a CCTV to record all these?
Yup they did but at that point I didn have cctv yet. But there cctv at the lift and stairs. But yeah ever since I put up cctv, theres been zero contact from them. Well I shall not jinx it but I hope cctv should be enough already.

green72

Reaction score
Loan Shark Ordered Food Delivery For a Debtor & Left the $800 Bills Hanging.

This is an old tactic (report never indicate date, could be old news). Firstly, victims shouldn't pay. Let the food delivery revert back to the persons ordering and suggest they make police report. Victims should also make a police report.

These UMLs are making innocent and honest businesses lose money by doing this.

Food and delivery businesses should review their ordering procedures to prevent such thing from happening. For example, Mcdonalds having some sort of 2FA to prevent false ordering.

Best is to have NO COD payment for amounts more than $10-20. Even then, victims shouldn't pay.

ALL food and delivery establishments must report to SPF with such incidents. Must further tighten the noose around this UMLs harassment practice.

Last edited:

InADilemma01

Reaction score
Loan Shark Ordered Food Delivery For a Debtor & Left the $800 Bills Hanging.

This is an old tactic (report never indicate date, could be old news). Firstly, victims shouldn't pay. Let the food delivery revert back to the persons ordering and suggest they make police report. Victims should also make a police report.

These UMLs are making innocent and honest businesses lose money by doing this.

Food and delivery businesses should review their ordering procedures to prevent such thing from happening. For example, Mcdonalds having some sort of 2FA to prevent false ordering.

Best is to have NO COD payment for amounts more than $10-20. Even then, victims shouldn't pay.

ALL food and delivery establishments must report to SPF with such incidents. Must further tighten the noose around this UMLs harassment practice.

I think now they are resorting to get freelance runner desperate for job to come up to units on the pretext of being sent by MOM to check on SHN... Once door open ask to answer a call by the UML. Most of these freelancers arent even aware of what they are doing which makes it difficult to decide whether to report or not. But IO advised to just report and SPF will handle the case

green72

Reaction score
I think now they are resorting to get freelance runner desperate for job to come up to units on the pretext of being sent by MOM to check on SHN... Once door open ask to answer a call by the UML. Most of these freelancers arent even aware of what they are doing which makes it difficult to decide whether to report or not. But IO advised to just report and SPF will handle the case

From what I've learned so far for the past 1 year, runners consists of 2 types of people.

1. The un-informed students/unemployed/foreign workers enticed to easy money through online adverts.

2. UML victims offered deferment by doing such jobs.

The unlucky Food & Delivery companies sometimes are also caught in between.

I think more than 90% of UML are overseas and there isn't a local based ones with full time runners. SPF is always on the look-out for local ones and easier for them to chop the head to cease all operations.

These UMLs will use the mentality that they are local-based to scare victims using so-called local +65 numbers and runners.Easily fooling us to believe they are a threat to us and our family. That tactic always works for new victims, always.

So All runners mention above don't have towkays per se to report to. All are "contract" basis with no actual ties to the UML.

If any of you currently are under UML harassment, just ignore answering the door. 50% chance they are runners pretending to be govt officials. Anyway, you have the right not to open the door unless it's a police officer.

Last edited:

IwanttokillUML

Reaction score
From what I've learned so far for the past 1 year, runners consists of 2 types of people.

1. The un-informed students/unemployed/foreign workers enticed to easy money through online adverts.

2. UML victims offered deferment by doing such jobs.

The unlucky Food & Delivery companies sometimes are also caught in between.

I think more than 90% of UML are overseas and there isn't a local based ones with full time runners. SPF is always on the look-out for local ones and easier for them to chop the head to cease all operations.

These UMLs will use the mentality that they are local-based to scare victims using so-called local +65 numbers and runners.Easily fooling us to believe they are a threat to us and our family. That tactic always works for new victims, always.

So All runners mention above don't have towkays per se to report to. All are "contract" basis with no actual ties to the UML.

If any of you currently are under UML harassment, just ignore answering the door. 50% chance they are runners pretending to be govt officials. Anyway, you have the right not to open the door unless it's a police officer.

Anyway just to share with effect from yesterday, 15th April 2020, all local calls will not have the "+" prefix in front of the numbers.

So anything that shows up with a "+" are all foreign numbers, even if it is "+65".

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/new-way-to-help-consumers-spot-overseas-spoof-calls

green72

Reaction score
Anyway just to share with effect from yesterday, 15th April 2020, all local calls will not have the "+" prefix in front of the numbers.

So anything that shows up with a "+" are all foreign numbers, even if it is "+65".

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/new-way-to-help-consumers-spot-overseas-spoof-calls

Tested and true enough, no +65 calling my NOK. Yet another avenue slam shut against number spoofing.

But with anything technology, they will find a way one day. But for now, rejoice the peace.

Everyone can set to block numbers with + prefix on their hp if they don't want unknown callers.

I hope spam SMS is next. Anyway, those on Samsung Android HP used to be able to block SMS based on certain keyword like "loan". Since a few software updates late last year, this Godsend feature was removed.

SMS is one entry point UML use to hook victims using false adverts. If only Govt where to force telcos to eradicate this out, many scams can be prevented.

Last edited:

thegoldenone

Reaction score
loan shark texted me saying he is willing to return me the money he has scammed me, provided i support his business. I guess loan sharks are hit badly by covid19 and getting scammed themselves too haha

green72

Reaction score
loan shark texted me saying he is willing to return me the money he has scammed me, provided i support his business. I guess loan sharks are hit badly by covid19 and getting scammed themselves too haha

Stay vigilant.

Scammers will exploit this COVID-19 situation for those who are financial affected.

Also, expect them to return with a vengeance to collect their dues. I hope many small fry UML will disappear.

Our opportunity to kill them off by not paying.

pop.is.stress

Reaction score
My spouse got into a loan scam. Wanted to clear some loan and replied to this advert via WhatsApp. Person said can take, so he said he will transfer $700 but after 5 days must transfer back. Something like test loan.

So, after that we decided no to proceed and we want to return back the money that was deposited. When we ask for the account number, he kept delaying said he's busy.

So we panicked and went to make a police report immediately. Police said just ignore. We also call the bank to reverse back the transaction.

Then next day after not replying to any of the messages, that's when all the harassment starts.

1. AL WhatsApp call us non-stop, threatening us with messages, send us pictures door being splashed with paint, door being burnt.
2. Start to screenshots our family photos.
3. Since my spouse listed me as NOK, the AL start to WhatsApp me the same thing!

I broke down real hard. Got a panic attack. After we managed to maintain our composure, we did the following.

1. Made a police report. One at a police post, one via online (coz panic after receiving threats about our family), call 999 after receiving a photo of our front door. (AL already sent a runner) Police came to take down statement and we show them all the messages and pictures being sent via WhatsApp.
2. Call the bank to reverse the amount back. Then we will close the account. (Still pending!!)
3. Installing CCTV today
4. Already blocked all their numbers
5. Change number
6. Already informed workplace since my spouse gave his office number
7. Already deleted social media account
8. Already informed my next door neighbor

Am I on the right track?? Anything else that I need to do? I'm still worried and a bit scared Coz the money is still in the bank, pending for a reversed transfer. Will they call my spouse office since we're already ghost them. They have my spouse NRIC details.

Still having sleepless nights.

Last edited:

green72

Reaction score
My spouse got into a loan scam. Wanted to clear some loan and replied to this advert via WhatsApp. Person said can take, so he said he will transfer $700 but after 5 days must transfer back. Something like test loan.

So, after that we decided no to proceed and we want to return back the money that was deposited. When we ask for the account number, he kept delaying said he's busy.

So we panicked and went to make a police report immediately. Police said just ignore. We also call the bank to reverse back the transaction.

Then next day after not replying to any of the messages, that's when all the harassment starts.

1. AL WhatsApp call us non-stop, threatening us with messages, send us pictures door being splashed with paint, door being burnt.
2. Start to screenshots our family photos.
3. Since my spouse listed me as NOK, the AL start to WhatsApp me the same thing!

I broke down real hard. Got a panic attack. After we managed to maintain our composure, we did the following.

1. Made a police report. One at a police post, one via online (coz panic after receiving threats about our family), call 999 after receiving a photo of our front door. (AL already sent a runner) Police came to take down statement and we show them all the messages and pictures being sent via WhatsApp.
2. Call the bank to reverse the amount back. Then we will close the account. (Still pending!!)
3. Installing CCTV today
4. Already blocked all their numbers
5. Change number
6. Already informed workplace since my spouse gave his office number
7. Already deleted social media account
8. Already informed my next door neighbor

Am I on the right track?? Anything else that I need to do? I'm still worried and a bit scared Coz the money is still in the bank, pending for a reversed transfer. Will they call my spouse office since we're already ghost them. They have my spouse NRIC details.

Still having sleepless nights.

You did everything right. Calling and harassing her office is their next and maybe final move.

Your wife have to inform her immediate boss. Just report as scam. Show police report. Inform her immediate superior to expect harassment calls, make police report if harassed as instructed by her investigating officer. Don't let her co. help to nego with AL.

About bank reversing the amount, sometimes it just doesn't happen. Just close and open new account after a few months. AL won't put more money in and since report has been made, considered the bank account is "clean". You can either keep the money there or use it to offset the CCTV purchase. The law never state you cannot use the money. Just don't ownself transfer back to AL. That is a crime.

Last edited:

pop.is.stress

Reaction score
Thank much. Felt calmer now. But sometimes feel a bit paranoid. Yes, the AL gave us another account number to transfer but we ignore him.

You did everything right. Calling and harassing her office is their next and maybe final move.

Your wife have to inform her immediate boss. Just report as scam. Show police report. Inform her immediate superior to expect harassment calls, make police report if harassed as instructed by her investigating officer. Don't let her co. help to nego with AL.

About bank reversing the amount, sometimes it just doesn't happen. Just close and open new account after a few months. AL won't put more money in and since report has been made, considered the bank account is "clean". You can either keep the money there or use it to offset the CCTV purchase. The law never state you cannot use the money. Just don't ownself transfer back to AL. That is a crime.

Vsosos

Reaction score
Hi all, just to update on my case. It's been about a week plus and only receive some msg for the first few days since I ignoring their msg. So far no sound no video, I won't let my guard down but hope they have give up.

Last edited:

Gerrard171192

Reaction score
Hi all, just to update on my case. It's been about a week plus and only receive some msg for the first few days since I ignoring their msg. So far no sound no video, I won't let my guard down but hope they have give up.

Hi,
I've been in the exact same situation as you. But I've return everything that I've owed them. They keep wanting me to defer every week giving all sorts of reasons. Today is the first day I've ghost them. Blocking every number that added me in WhatsApp. Do they really sent people up to your house?

Vsosos

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been in the exact same situation as you. But I've return everything that I've owed them. They keep wanting me to defer every week giving all sorts of reasons. Today is the first day I've ghost them. Blocking every number that added me in WhatsApp. Do they really sent people up to your house?

Hi so far nothing happen, not sure is it because of ** or he give up already. Btw, I didn't block him so can keep track on the days of harassment but just ignore his msg and try not to show online status. Have u deactivated/private all social media? Have u inform ur NOK not to pick up any unknown number? U and ur NOK have to ghost them together and please report to police as well. Just file an online report in case if anything happen.

Last edited:

Gerrard171192

Reaction score
Hi so far nothing happen, not sure is it because of ** or he give up already. Btw,I didn't block him so can keep track on the days of harassment but just ignore his msg and try not to show online status.

You didn't block him? Does he will send you threatening message? Or call anyone you knows? No threatening photos or videos? Have you cleared your debt?

Vsosos

Reaction score
You didn't block him? Does he will send you threatening message? Or call anyone you knows? No threatening photos or videos? Have you cleared your debt?
No, he didn't send anything but only the first few days when I started to ghost him. No photo or video also. Only my NOK received some unknown number call with weird number but didn't pick up. I didn't borrow from them and just want to cancel my loan after the so-called trial loan but he keep asking me to defer only.

green72

Reaction score

Loan sharks using food delivery services to harass debtors, police warn -CNA

For those still currently being harassed, do note some UML resorting to this OLD tactic. I pity the food delivery guys doing honest living. Food outlets must refrain from using COD as mode of payment.

Today I found out 1 restaurant outlet using 1 of the 3 main food delivery service, only accept COD even though my account accepts CC and other modes of payment. These food outlets are usually the ones used by UML. They need to change or don't provide delivery service.

On your part, no need to scold the delivery guy. Just tell him report to police and on your part inform I/O and also make police report. Online report will do, no need go down station.

Let's react in a rationale manner and render this harassment tactic to no effect. Make UML think harder how to harass. All their tactics will fail.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.