Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

StressedGirl

Reaction score
Hi

I was a victim 6 months ago.
I lost my job
Disturbed my NOKs
Threat msgs, different phone calls.
Tbh they are the same.
I spent days and weeks not sleeping at night to monitor any suspicious movements.
Best to change your mobile number, close your bank account. Inform your management at work about this. If they cant accept it, quit! I have colleagues judging me and i cant even face them at work. I left and now i have other job.
I repeat, stop paying them. Pay them for what?
I was in depression. Lost weight and couldnt help thinking if i would be harassed
I was staying with my elderly parents. Even worst.
My husband got mad. He kept bringing me down with sarcasms.
I have to admit, i was stupid.
But i didnt get any harassment. So i guess mine was just a scam.
For your case, report to your IO for any suspicious movements.
Inform your condo security to not accept any visitors.
Suffer for a while. Just make sure no one is allowed to go to your unit no.
They can try to pretend to be food delivery or so. But even if they provide diff unit no, still the owners of the residence will say they didnt order or wtv it is right.
Dont be afraid. Put cctv and sacrifice abit of your night sleep to monitor.
Just give it 2-3 months.
We have to pay for our stupid mistakes too.
Always be alert. Condo is better than HDB. Hdb anyone can walk pass or see your flat from afar. Condo you have the benefits of letting your guards know. And you too need to inform the guards to why youre doing this.
Lesson learnt: never take up loans, be it with the banks or LML or UML
Ive learnt my lesson. The anxiety and depression almost killed me inside.
I hope you and your husband can get through this! Stay strong!

Thank you dear. I hope you too will keep fighting this and not give up. Let anyone judge but u stay strong.If theyre not contributing positivity to your life, then erase the fact that you once knew them. We're here a text away. anytime you need a listening ear and morale support.

AngelsInTheSkies

Reaction score
You need to deactivate your Facebook or Instagram. Some would use it against you. Also, why are you still using the same number? Time to change it

hi all. so today i received the first threat text. im in the midst of shutting down the line but while wtg to do so, the endless calls and tects are coming in from the uml. Said they will do anything just to get the money back then now threaten wanna find my relatives. I dont know how high tech savvy they are but i just dont want anyone to get into trouble or lose their jobs cos of me man. my problem is enough for me to handle and i cant deal with anyone getting into trouble cos of my stupidity. I just wanna know how much info they have about mu family or friends (i didnt give any nok details btw) before i go completely ghost on them.

StressedGirl

Reaction score
You need to deactivate your Facebook or Instagram. Some would use it against you. Also, why are you still using the same number? Time to change it

deactivated socmed.just keeping the nbr for another wk or so to fish for what sorta deets he has so i can take the necc precautionary measures.

xvirusgal

Reaction score
hi all. so today i received the first threat text. im in the midst of shutting down the line but while wtg to do so, the endless calls and tects are coming in from the uml. Said they will do anything just to get the money back then now threaten wanna find my relatives. I dont know how high tech savvy they are but i just dont want anyone to get into trouble or lose their jobs cos of me man. my problem is enough for me to handle and i cant deal with anyone getting into trouble cos of my stupidity. I just wanna know how much info they have about mu family or friends (i didnt give any nok details btw) before i go completely ghost on them.

Take and mark the day . 7th Oct...things will heat up...and be prepared for it....they will take whatever to "hunt"....but...you need to be really brave for your family...for child...yes..along the way... unfortunately... neighbors, friends..and family will be involved...one way or another...but...explain and apologize to them sincerely....with open heart...you will find everyone with help you tide through this...those who dun....are not your friend to begin with....

No point regretting ...but rather look for solutions...soon...you find that...you will ride over this turbulent times as well...

Yes, this special community is like a therapy session...n remb..dun share too much information here...yes...they have their Kaki's lurking in the dark too...

AngelsInTheSkies

Reaction score
You will be more paranoid and stressed if the texts keep coming. When my FM ghosted them, we were harassed. They even pmed my friend on FB. I told my friend to ignore and lodge police report. Upon changing numbers for all in the family, it was quite peaceful. Until they splashed paint, but after that, it was all over.

deactivated socmed.just keeping the nbr for another wk or so to fish for what sorta deets he has so i can take the necc precautionary measures.

Shoniah

Reaction score
Hi

I was a victim 6 months ago.
I lost my job
Disturbed my NOKs
Threat msgs, different phone calls.
Tbh they are the same.
I spent days and weeks not sleeping at night to monitor any suspicious movements.
Best to change your mobile number, close your bank account. Inform your management at work about this. If they cant accept it, quit! I have colleagues judging me and i cant even face them at work. I left and now i have other job.
I repeat, stop paying them. Pay them for what?
I was in depression. Lost weight and couldnt help thinking if i would be harassed
I was staying with my elderly parents. Even worst.
My husband got mad. He kept bringing me down with sarcasms.
I have to admit, i was stupid.
But i didnt get any harassment. So i guess mine was just a scam.
For your case, report to your IO for any suspicious movements.
Inform your condo security to not accept any visitors.
Suffer for a while. Just make sure no one is allowed to go to your unit no.
They can try to pretend to be food delivery or so. But even if they provide diff unit no, still the owners of the residence will say they didnt order or wtv it is right.
Dont be afraid. Put cctv and sacrifice abit of your night sleep to monitor.
Just give it 2-3 months.
We have to pay for our stupid mistakes too.
Always be alert. Condo is better than HDB. Hdb anyone can walk pass or see your flat from afar. Condo you have the benefits of letting your guards know. And you too need to inform the guards to why youre doing this.
Lesson learnt: never take up loans, be it with the banks or LML or UML
Ive learnt my lesson. The anxiety and depression almost killed me inside.
I hope you and your husband can get through this! Stay strong!

I lose my job in jul cos of this. Doing freelance delivery jobs now. From what i know condo need intercom to access to ur unit.

Shoniah

Reaction score
My take is...NEVER BORROW FROM ANY UML. YOU Do not understand the hell you are going to get yourself and your family into!

I am into my week 3 ...ghosting...very determined to break the chain of torture...in Singapore..you can run...but you can't hide...all those UMLs out there, our SPFs are waiting for you...!

https://www.police.gov.sg/media-room/news/20201009_man_arr_for_loanshark_harassment

Soya sauce lolol

Reaction score

With your singapss, they can retrieve many info.

Reaction score
Maybe he thought wont kena arrested if use soya sauce.

Idk but i laughed when i read the news on fb

Maybe this is a trend. My experience is a round 7 years ago. First attack also with black soya sauce, 2nd attack with white paint and the 3rd attack will be red paint.

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Want to put a stop? Make borrowing a crime. Currently, borrower is deem as a victim.

Archimonde the Defiler

Master Member
Reaction score
I have a close personal friend who borrowed from loan sharks before and after she returned, nothing happened to her. Most of the people here most probably did not pay up and end up spinning tales to lobby for sympathy. Logically, why would a loan shark harass a debtor? There is no point harassing a poor person.

Harass debtors to coerce them into becoming runners/splash paint for them? Nah, loan sharks usually find young people who hanker for more money to do such jobs-just read the newspaper yourself. They need young energetic people to do such jobs, not lethargic soul-less debtors.

Harsh truths.

green72

Reaction score
I have a close personal friend who borrowed from loan sharks before and after she returned, nothing happened to her. Most of the people here most probably did not pay up and end up spinning tales to lobby for sympathy. Logically, why would a loan shark harass a debtor? There is no point harassing a poor person.

Harass debtors to coerce them into becoming runners/splash paint for them? Nah, loan sharks usually find young people who hanker for more money to do such jobs-just read the newspaper yourself. They need young energetic people to do such jobs, not lethargic soul-less debtors.

Harsh truths.
And you assume a happy ending based solely on a friend. Stop painting a nice picture of them. We here share first person story.

Many here who was led to believe by these UML that they can make repayments based on the advertised plan.

For example victim A intend to take a $1k loan from these UML. They may say repayment of $100 for 12mth.

Upon giving personal data from CPF, bank and providing singpass the story changes.

These UML will transfer only $300, for example,and ask victims to return $500 by 7 days. Refering this as a test payment. Following this, UML may or may not tfr the rest but insist weekly interest repayment.

And so the money sucking begins. What may be $1k loan, can end up ten fold with no end in sight.

I doubt your motive and anyway nothing good will end borrowing from loanshark. The money they earn is usually used for other crime related business.

And you only have 3 post including this.

Last edited:

green72

Reaction score
Want to put a stop? Make borrowing a crime. Currently, borrower is deem as a victim.

But not all cases the victim knows that they are dealing with Ah longs. If you read a few post back, some of these UMLs post their adverts pretending to be legal money lenders including legal looking websites and fb accounts.

Only after getting trapped, then victims learned that legal financial institutions are not allowed to advertise or solicit in any media form for loans.

Last edited:

green72

Reaction score
Blaming victims/debtors is not going to help their harassment situation. And definitely is not the reasons for the creation of this thread.

Borrowing from loanshark is not a solution. Addressing their financial issues through legal means is the only way. Lifestyle changes also needs to be looked at.

Saying is a non-issue to deal with loanshark is blatantly wrong. Even if debtors pay regularly, they can be hauled up by the Police if other victims report because their bank account is seen as doing transfers to other victims account.

Loanshark will roll the money from debtors to debtors before ending up in their pockets.

Your friends is lucky, but many here have their bank account frozen due to this.

I will not condone any posters seen as encouraging people to borrow from loanshark.

Loanshark business needs to die. This is my life goal.

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kope from EDMW.

I wonder if POSB allow their employees to use spam sms and use @outlook.com email? :s22:

8-CE6-D72-D-6-CE7-4-E2-B-8-F02-B915516985-F7.png

C0-EA4-F3-D-5-E65-4613-8120-21-DB2-AA6555-A.jpg

5-BFEFE2-C-0535-4-A9-D-A2-CF-B73-AAC102633.jpg

AEA72-FB8-A410-464-A-80-E9-8-A7-D044935-F9.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.