Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SINGAPORE: Authorities are investigating 149 people aged between 15 and 70 who are suspected of being involved in unlicensed moneylending activities.

Officers from the Criminal Investigation Department and seven police land divisions conducted simultaneous islandwide raids between Mar 21 and 28, police said in a news release on Tuesday (Mar 29).
Preliminary investigations showed that one of the suspects had allegedly carried on a business of unlicensed moneylending.

Another 15 suspects had allegedly harassed the homes of debtors and 21 are believed to be runners who assisted in unlicensed moneylending businesses by carrying out automated teller machine (ATM) transfers.

The remaining 112 suspects are believed to have “opened bank accounts and provided their ATM cards, personal identification numbers and/or their Internet banking tokens to unlicensed moneylenders to facilitate their unlicensed moneylending”, they added.

Investigations against all suspects are ongoing.

A person whose bank account, ATM card, or Internet banking token is used to facilitate moneylending by an unlicensed moneylender is presumed to have assisted in carrying on the business of unlicensed moneylending.

Those convicted of doing so can be jailed for up to four years, fined between S$30,000 and S$300,000 and caned with up to six strokes.

Suspects convicted of acting on behalf of an unlicensed moneylender, committing or attempting to commit any acts of harassment can face up to five years in jail, fined between S$5,000 and S$50,000 and given three to six strokes of the cane.

Police also warned the public that unlicensed moneylenders are increasingly using text messages or online platforms to send unsolicited loan advertisements.

“Members of the public are reminded not to reply or respond to such advertisements and to report these messages as spam,” the police said.

They also urged the public to contact the police if they suspect or know of anyone who could be involved in unlicensed moneylending activities.

Calmict

Reaction score
Last week i received a paynow $200 and after clarifying it’s unknown money thinking somebody transfer by mistake i reported this to the bank, had document processed to return the money. 24 hours later i received a whatsapp messages saying i loan $200 pay $280 in 7 days! Out of fear, i made a police report. Been ignoring their calls and messages since then but I’m worried because i don’t know how much they know about me, family and job.

I really appreciate any advises and on what to expect the next few days.

m0n0n0ke

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last week i received a paynow $200 and after clarifying it’s unknown money thinking somebody transfer by mistake i reported this to the bank, had document processed to return the money. 24 hours later i received a whatsapp messages saying i loan $200 pay $280 in 7 days! Out of fear, i made a police report. Been ignoring their calls and messages since then but I’m worried because i don’t know how much they know about me, family and job.

u done the right thing
hope police catch the guy

ForBetterDays

Reaction score

If u have never enquired, sent your personal particulars or got scammed before, highly likely they don’t have your particulars. Just stay vigilant and continue to ignore their calls and messages.

Calmict

Reaction score
If u have never enquired, sent your personal particulars or got scammed before, highly likely they don’t have your particulars. Just stay vigilant and continue to ignore their calls and messages.
Just received a missed call and a message reminding me payment is due tomorrow. Just feeling very insecure on how much they know or will do $200???

ForBetterDays

Reaction score
Just continue to ignore. If you haven’t given them any of your details, don’t bother. Just stay vigilant. And report to police if anything happens.

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just received a missed call and a message reminding me payment is due tomorrow. Just feeling very insecure on how much they know or will do $200???
they are jus finding a prey. dont bother to even reply them. jus block all their text and don't pick up unknown calls. for a mere $200, i dont think they will send commando down to visit you. moreover, they do not have your residential address etc. for them to dig up your address, they need to pay someone... and again to pay someone to send commando down... not worth for a mere 200.

stay strong but be alert during this period.

Calmict

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the support. But i’m still feeling unease about the whole episode. I worried they will call my work place even i’m in retail line.

Painkiller777

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the support. But i’m still feeling unease about the whole episode. I worried they will call my work place even i’m in retail line.
Hi, firstly pls stay calm.
Good job, You already made a police report.
Im not sure how much information they have on you besides your mobile number. And if you are worried about them making nuisance call to your workplace. You might want to tell your workplace supervisor, and also show them your police report, that you are involved in a force loan scam.

You might want to install a call blocker app that will block all unsaved numbers. And ignore all whatsapp msgs from them. Just report and block all their whatsapp numbers.

I dont think they will do anything crazy for $200. You just need to stay calm and ignore them. Do not attempt to reply or negotiate with them.

ragegoh

Reaction score
I lost my wallet with my NRIC inside, I have requested for an IC replacement. I am wondering can people take my NRIC for loanshark or other misuse?

I used to hear stories of people using lost NRIC to borrow from loanshark.

m0n0n0ke

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I lost my wallet with my NRIC inside, I have requested for an IC replacement. I am wondering can people take my NRIC for loanshark or other misuse?

I used to hear stories of people using lost NRIC to borrow from loanshark.
I heard of that too. But i think those real LS should not be so stupid unless they are re just for extortion

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard of that too. But i think those real LS should not be so stupid unless they are re just for extortion
correct, the real LS will not exort to such extreme.. unfortunately, lately, all cases of UML are due to scam. they no longer follow LS code of conduct. don't need sign IOU and will also disperse funds

ilovetosnack

Reaction score
haha i think you guys will be shocked to hear this, usually people borrow UML because of gambling and all. my sister went to borrow UML coz she wants to buy games - top up for her games. she stole my father's money, borrowed from bank, LML and UML. we found out and reported to police. she doesnt seem to repent. we received tons of letters from bank yesterday, she tried borrowing money again. the worse thing is she doesnt have a full time job, she is only working part time. my parents are old and they are struggling to pay off the debts. im trying to seek some advice here. is there anyway to bring her to family justice court? like to legally stop her from doing all these?

m0n0n0ke

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha i think you guys will be shocked to hear this, usually people borrow UML because of gambling and all. my sister went to borrow UML coz she wants to buy games - top up for her games. she stole my father's money, borrowed from bank, LML and UML. we found out and reported to police. she doesnt seem to repent. we received tons of letters from bank yesterday, she tried borrowing money again. the worse thing is she doesnt have a full time job, she is only working part time. my parents are old and they are struggling to pay off the debts. im trying to seek some advice here. is there anyway to bring her to family justice court? like to legally stop her from doing all these?
How she manage to get the loan without the present of your dad. Wow at our bank system

ilovetosnack

Reaction score
How she manage to get the loan without the present of your dad. Wow at our bank system
She got my dad's card details and all. So she self transferred money to her grab account. My parents still don't want to wake up their idea. Still give her money to eat and all. This is why she doesn't repent lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.