Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharuu

Reaction score
Yes hardcore.
Spanish, Korean, German, US league, EPL, world cup. Now into horse racing

He will work but all earnings go to gambling. Banks and licensed moneylenders have already blacklisted him so now he can only turn to UML.

I have to live with him. I really donno how? Its been 10 years ongoing. I'm kinda at my wits end already.

Any advice?

The house always wins.

Bamster78

Reaction score
I do not owe any AL any more. But i would like to change my hp number. Would that help in preventing any from finding me? I was asked to not block him and support him if i need. But i dont wana have any connection at all. Will they call my NOK or office to look for me?

We also have no idea when our AL will stop harassing us. Just continue to ignore them

khunjuno

Reaction score
I do not owe any AL any more. But i would like to change my hp number. Would that help in preventing any from finding me? I was asked to not block him and support him if i need. But i dont wana have any connection at all. Will they call my NOK or office to look for me?

Here's the harsh truth...

You don't owe any AL anymore, but if you've taken a loan from them before, they have your details. It's hard to say what they will or will not do. Some of these AL resort to transferring money without our consent and then say we owe them money, all because they have our details previously. What to do then?

I suggest you change your number and change your bank account if you really want to be safe up to a point. Doubt they'll come to your house, but they may text your NOK to ask if they want to borrow money. lol

Jjlin1205

Reaction score
Here's the harsh truth...

You don't owe any AL anymore, but if you've taken a loan from them before, they have your details. It's hard to say what they will or will not do. Some of these AL resort to transferring money without our consent and then say we owe them money, all because they have our details previously. What to do then?

I suggest you change your number and change your bank account if you really want to be safe up to a point. Doubt they'll come to your house, but they may text your NOK to ask if they want to borrow money. lol
Good luck guys...now after world cup.they will be busy with loan and chasing debtor

25chic

Reaction score
Owe Loansharks

I have finally finished reading the whole thread, took me several sleepless nights to cover all. Despite my earlier post, I still have not made any report to police to date.

In my case, I owe LS due to bad cashflow management. YOLO Lifestyle, Credit Card Bills then Out of Job. I first borrowed LS in May after receiving their advert. Asked their rates and I wanted to get the monthly loan but as in usual cases was told to get a small loan first due to first time dealing and need to monitor payment history. In desperation, I went for it. LS was Jovan from Power Credit. Gave NRIC, Payslips, NOK (Mum). No Singpass required.

$350 cashback, $500 clear, $150 defer. 3 days loan. 2 days later suddenly texted to inform payment was due as the day I got the loan itself was considered 1 day. Duped, but becoz I need THAT MONTHLY LOAN and I could clear, I offered to return $500. From 12 to 4.45pm after asking so many times for bank details, he finally replied at 4.55pm with bank account $150 deferment by 5pm. I argued for a good hour but later paid deferment coz still hoping to get that monthly loan. At 8pm, LS JOVAN called said I need to take up another loan from his friend coz I deferred. Still desperate for mthly loan, I said ok and same thing cashback $300 ($50 admin), clear $500, defer $150. Days later I got another advert. Being in tight cashflow I took up 3rd loan so I can pay up LS1 & LS2. There was 1 day when LS2's "boss" called up and threaten me to pay up immediately and somehow LS3 was being nice, providing me back-up and even offered to speak with LS1 LS2. He told me not to pay up LS2's boss, block his number and remember the codes LS gave to me when given loan. Pay up accordingly and always ask for their codes. Somehow, LS3 was my confidant at that time and taught me how to handle LS1 & LS2. 2 weeks later, I finally cleared LS1 & LS2. Once cleared, I blocked them as taught by LS3. No harrassments after that. So I'm only left with LS3. A week later, after I managed to clear LS3, I blocked him too and this was after he told me to defer and not clear. I still clear & blocked him straightaway. That day & night, my phone was bombed with whatsapp & calls from LS3 & lots of unknown numbers. He even called NOK (mum) who of coz panicked and called my home too. Threaten my mum to hang PIG's head and also give present for Hari Raya. I pulled the wire and also block all unknown number on mum's phone. LS3 continued to call until 3am and also sent me the burning gate video. After that, it was quiet but I stayed vigilant for the next few nights.

In all, I paid LS1-LS3 2-3 deferments before I finally cleared them.

2-3 weeks later, LS3 contacted me using new number. Told me he didn't know what happened the last round, went back to Malaysia then found out his workers treated me so bad. Now he's with new company, just opened new stall and asked for support. Told me to take small loan before he can offer me monthly loan. Offered me 5day loan. I rejected, gave him excuse I need 1k & 7 days to tide me till I get my pay but he said could offer me $500 cashback only. I rejected. After that LS3 MIA.

Days later, new LS4 advert offering me loan to suit my needs. Tight in cashflow, I asked for $1k and he said ok for 7 days loan. Was given cashback $950, clear $1500, defer $500. I deferred LS4 once, then asked if I can take up 2nd loan. He ok and gave me cashback $950, clear $1500, defer $500, 7 days loan.

Then I took up LS5 who offered me 3 days loan, LS6 3 days loan, LS7 & LS8 daily loan to pay up one after another. No singpass was requested from me except for nric, nok, office number ( this time i gave my spare sim number & claimed house no phone line) & a snapshot of my cpf contribution (some don't even ask) and of coz account number.

This is the breakdown so far:

LS4: 2x 7 days Loans. Cashback $950x2. Deferred 2x each.
LS5: Daily Loan $70, Cashback $1000, Paid $500 in deferments.
LS6: 7days loan, Cashback $1000, Deferred 1x $500.
LS7: Daily Loan $70, Cashback $700, Paid $150 in deferments
LS8: Daily Loan $50, Cashback $500, Paid 0.

And I REALISED, BANK ACCOUNTS FOR LS4-LS8 ARE THE SAME AS LS3. Yes, it took me that long.

I finally cannot not keep up with the deferments. Early this month, I told them I don't have anymore money and cannot pay them. They scold me left right centre but I calmly told them I really don't have any. LS5 settled with me nicely and offered table talks. He also told me that there is no such thing as monthly loan which I have hoped for. Table talk of weekly payment was given to me. I nego same thing with LS6-LS8. When I was due to pay LS4, I broke news to him that I can't pay anymore. He scolded me for not coming back to him when I was jam with payments and went on to take up LS5-LS8. He said not his problem and I have to pay him still.

In all, I was offered table talks by LS4-LS8 and was given weekly payments to be made. However, every morning, they will check on me how much I have to date and can transfer 50 to them. Told them I dont even have any money to eat and 1 even offered to borrow me 50. 1 also sent me kissed (crazy!)

Up till last week, I have not made any payment to them since early this month, have not blocked them. They have been quiet despite some threatens to splash paint, find me , do me then I will know whether to pay or not.

Here's my issue.
1. I don't know how to break news to my mum and I can't bear to break her heart due to historic AL matters with my late dad. When LS3 called mum & threaten, she asked if I did borrow LS and I assured her it was scam.
2. I don't have many friends, thus looking for advice here.
3. I haven't made any police report and I don't know what's holding me back. Probably the admittance in me that i brought all this upon myself.
4. I'm just afraid if they lock my house or splash paint then I will have to call the police in. I definitely can't say to police this is scam due to lost of IC in front of my mum. Bottomline is I just dont know or cant tell my mum I owed LS. It's heartbreaking enuf for her to know that I already owe several banks.

I really don't know what to do. I can deal with splash paint tho it will take hours to remove but I can't face my mum & neighbours.

If you're gonna condemn me, please keep them to yourself. I have already condemned myself bad.

Jjlin1205

Reaction score
I have finally finished reading the whole thread, took me several sleepless nights to cover all. Despite my earlier post, I still have not made any report to police to date.

In my case, I owe LS due to bad cashflow management. YOLO Lifestyle, Credit Card Bills then Out of Job. I first borrowed LS in May after receiving their advert. Asked their rates and I wanted to get the monthly loan but as in usual cases was told to get a small loan first due to first time dealing and need to monitor payment history. In desperation, I went for it. LS was Jovan from Power Credit. Gave NRIC, Payslips, NOK (Mum). No Singpass required.

$350 cashback, $500 clear, $150 defer. 3 days loan. 2 days later suddenly texted to inform payment was due as the day I got the loan itself was considered 1 day. Duped, but becoz I need THAT MONTHLY LOAN and I could clear, I offered to return $500. From 12 to 4.45pm after asking so many times for bank details, he finally replied at 4.55pm with bank account $150 deferment by 5pm. I argued for a good hour but later paid deferment coz still hoping to get that monthly loan. At 8pm, LS JOVAN called said I need to take up another loan from his friend coz I deferred. Still desperate for mthly loan, I said ok and same thing cashback $300 ($50 admin), clear $500, defer $150. Days later I got another advert. Being in tight cashflow I took up 3rd loan so I can pay up LS1 & LS2. There was 1 day when LS2's "boss" called up and threaten me to pay up immediately and somehow LS3 was being nice, providing me back-up and even offered to speak with LS1 LS2. He told me not to pay up LS2's boss, block his number and remember the codes LS gave to me when given loan. Pay up accordingly and always ask for their codes. Somehow, LS3 was my confidant at that time and taught me how to handle LS1 & LS2. 2 weeks later, I finally cleared LS1 & LS2. Once cleared, I blocked them as taught by LS3. No harrassments after that. So I'm only left with LS3. A week later, after I managed to clear LS3, I blocked him too and this was after he told me to defer and not clear. I still clear & blocked him straightaway. That day & night, my phone was bombed with whatsapp & calls from LS3 & lots of unknown numbers. He even called NOK (mum) who of coz panicked and called my home too. Threaten my mum to hang PIG's head and also give present for Hari Raya. I pulled the wire and also block all unknown number on mum's phone. LS3 continued to call until 3am and also sent me the burning gate video. After that, it was quiet but I stayed vigilant for the next few nights.

2-3 weeks later, LS3 contacted me using new number. Told me he didn't know what happened the last round, went back to Malaysia then found out his workers treated me so bad. Now he's with new company, just opened new stall and asked for support. Told me to take small loan before he can offer me monthly loan. Offered me 5day loan. I rejected, gave him excuse I need 1k & 7 days to tide me till I get my pay but he said could offer me $500 cashback only. I rejected. After that LS3 MIA.

Days later, new LS4 advert offering me loan to suit my needs. Tight in cashflow, I asked for $1k and he said ok for 7 days loan. Was given cashback $950, clear $1500, defer $500. I deferred LS4 once, then asked if I can take up 2nd loan. He ok and gave me cashback $950, clear $1500, defer $500, 7 days loan.

Then I took up LS5 who offered me 3 days loan, LS6 3 days loan, LS7 & LS8 daily loan to pay up one after another. No singpass was requested from me except for nric, nok, office number ( this time i gave my spare sim number & claimed house no phone line) & a snapshot of my cpf contribution (some don't even ask) and of coz account number.

And I REALISED, BANK ACCOUNTS FOR LS4-LS8 ARE THE SAME AS LS3. Yes, it took me that long.

I finally cannot not keep up with the deferments. Early this month, I told them I don't have anymore money and cannot pay them. They scold me left right centre but I calmly told them I really don't have any. LS5 settled with me nicely and offered table talks. He also told me that there is no such thing as monthly loan which I have hoped for. Table talk of weekly payment was given to me. I nego same thing with LS6-LS8. When I was due to pay LS4, I broke news to him that I can't pay anymore. He scolded me for not coming back to him when I was jam with payments and went on to take up LS5-LS8. He said not his problem and I have to pay him still.

In all, I was offered table talks by LS4-LS8 and was given weekly payments to be made. However, every morning, they will check on me how much I have to date and can transfer 50 to them. Told them I dont even have any money to eat and 1 even offered to borrow me 50. 1 also sent me kissed (crazy!)

Up till last week, I have not made any payment to them since early this month, have not blocked them. They have been quiet despite some threatens to splash paint, find me , do me then I will know whether to pay or not.

Here's my issue.
1. I don't know how to break news to my mum and I can't bear to break her heart due to historic AL matters with my late dad. When LS3 called mum & threaten, she asked if I did borrow LS and I assured her it was scam.
3. I haven't made any police report and I don't know what's holding me back. Probably the admittance in me that i brought all this upon myself.
4. I'm just afraid if they lock my house or splash paint then I will have to call the police in. I definitely can't say to police this is scam due to lost of IC in front of my mum. Bottomline is I just dont know or cant tell my mum I owed LS. It's heartbreaking enuf for her to know that I already owe several banks.

I really don't know what to do. I can deal with splash paint tho it will take hours to remove but I can't face my mum & neighbours.

If you're gonna condemn me, please keep them to yourself. I have already condemned myself bad.
Y so.many scam Al.ard.my old school al still more human..this Jovan name so smelly.u don't pay la..save the money for yr mom

fairre

Reaction score

Here's my issue.

Take up second job part time to earn money then clear all the debt.
Can try PHV to earn additional income.

Adt007

Reaction score
For your info

https://www.mha.gov.sg/hometeamnews/on-assignment/ViewArticle/swimming-with-loansharks-a-victim-s-ordeal

Dealing with Sharks
“The moneylenders listed their company name and handphone numbers,” said Mdm Low. “I did a search on the Internet and thought at first that they were legally licensed operators. The money came in very fast.”

Though she had settled her debt with the banks, Mdm Low found herself in even deeper trouble. Without giving it much thought, she provided the unlicensed moneylenders with personal information like her IC number, SingPass account, work address, details of family members, and even her children’s schools.

It wasn’t until weeks later that Mdm Low realised she’d been dealing with unlicensed moneylenders. “When I couldn’t pay them on time, their tone became very harsh, and they scolded me on SMS and WhatsApp,” she said. “They also started to threaten my family, and I was very scared.”

Soon, Mdm Low started receiving multiple solicitations from other unlicensed moneylenders. Feeling desperate, she began to borrow from one unlicensed moneylender to repay her debt to another.

“My number circulated among these unlicensed moneylenders very fast because I paid them promptly, so to them, I was a good ‘payer’,” she said. “Many approached me, and the interests were exorbitant so I continued to pay up. If not, they’d send me threatening messages.”
Deeper in Debt
Mdm Low ended up taking loans from over 50 unlicensed moneylenders, and what started out as a $20,000 loan in 2013 quickly snowballed into repayments amounting to $400,000.

Interest rates and borrowing terms would change on a whim. “They’d say that the man who offered the loan to me had had an accident, so I had to pay weekly instead of monthly,” she said.

As Mdm Low fell behind in her payments, the threats grew. “The final straw came when I received a very harsh WhatsApp message from one lender,” she recalled, her voice shaking. “He cursed me and even threatened to kidnap my children. He also sprayed-paint my flat, harassed my neighbours and sent me videos of front doors burning. That was when I told myself I wasn’t going to pay them anymore.”

Tough Action Against Unlicensed Moneylenders

Enforcement by the Singapore Police Force (SPF) has helped to curb physical harassment of victims by unlicensed moneylenders; in 2017, there was a 5.8% increase in the number of unlicensed moneylending arrests compared to 2016.

Now, SPF officers are embarking on a new dimension to their enforcement efforts. Noting that unlicensed moneylenders have been using electronic means to harass victims, the SPF is collaborating with stakeholders such as the Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA) to shut down such activities.

“Unlicensed moneylenders thrive on fear,” said Superintendent (SUPT) Han Teck Kwong, head of the SPF’s Unlicensed Moneylending Strikeforce. “To compel their victims to pay up, they’ll try any means including sending pictures and video clips of physical harassment or threatening to involve their victims’ families and employers. We’re now working with different agencies to detect and prevent technology from being used by these criminals.”

Say No to Loansharks

Having broken her ties to the unlicensed moneylenders, Mdm Low is now working three jobs to pay off loans from her friends and colleagues. “It’s hard for me to face them, and my children,” she said. “Now, I try to teach my kids to be frugal and to spend wisely.”

And she has these words of advice for those tempted to take the quick cash offered by unlicensed moneylenders: “Seek help from the right people and agencies. Don’t go to the unlicensed moneylenders; the pain, agony and fear aren’t worth it.”

When Unlicensed Moneylenders Approach You…
If you receive SMSes or WhatsApp messages from unlicensed moneylenders:

• Don’t reply to or interact with them.
• Report the number as spam and block the number using readily available spam filter applications.
• Notify the Police via i-Witness or report loansharking activities anonymously through the X-Ah-Long Hotline at 1800-924-5664.

lesnar88

Reaction score

Here's my issue.

so total amount how much you owe?
my family member owed $17k to 15LS. we didnt know what to do. we paid in total $6200? we pay and pay, pawned jewellery, you will reach a point where you really will dried up. so we negotiate with the LS, come up with some very sad stories then blocked their numbers.

then we tahan their harassment. it will take quite some time to recover really.

the type of harassment are:
call / sms / whatsapp / love letter via mail / lock gate / splash paint / graffiti on wall / spoofing method - means they send sms from your phone to your phone. i dont know how this technology works.

come clean to your mum. cos the harassment confirm come. install cctv, block their numbers, report police if anything. then just tahan their harassment.

Last edited:

Nas1978

Reaction score

Here's my issue.

Please make a police report immediately. And please break the news to ur mum. Change her hp number and be vigilant

Nas1978

Reaction score
My LS has been dealing with carousell sellers and ask them to come to my address. Happen to one of the buyer actually,he get intouch with me to confirmed. He made a report via the app to report this LS.

OneZeroEight

Reaction score
Last time my upstairs neighbor borrowed LS, my gate was splashed with paint!! He apologized , I lived in fear for many months.
Now even want employ a maid or rent rooms to people also scared that they use the address to borrow ls

25chic

Reaction score
so total amount how much you owe?
my family member owed $17k to 15LS. we didnt know what to do. we paid in total $6200? we pay and pay, pawned jewellery, you will reach a point where you really will dried up. so we negotiate with the LS, come up with some very sad stories then blocked their numbers.

then we tahan their harassment. it will take quite some time to recover really.

the type of harassment are:
call / sms / whatsapp / love letter via mail / lock gate / splash paint / graffiti on wall / spoofing method - means they send sms from your phone to your phone. i dont know how this technology works.

come clean to your mum. cos the harassment confirm come. install cctv, block their numbers, report police if anything. then just tahan their harassment.

In total $8k based on their clear amount. I haven't block them but they have been very quiet over the last 2 days.

25chic

Reaction score
Please make a police report immediately. And please break the news to ur mum. Change her hp number and be vigilant

I'm thinking of reporting loss ic, delete everything in my hp. If they strike my house, I will maintain I lost IC and dunno anything. Will the police buy it? Will my bank accounts be checked? I did a few payments via ibanking unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.