looking for post breakup solo travel ideas

plustwo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi solo travellers,

been putting it off for quite some time due to covid situation but now that more and more vtls are opening up and with sq's 15% miles transfer bonus it's probably time to revisit the topic. looking to blow 500k miles by end 2022.

starting this thread because i seem to have hit a road block with trip ideas. not new to solo backpacking, have backpacked 30+ countries solo before covid. always been a sucker for mountains and people sparse locations so not too worried about covid.

looking for suggestions for scenic places that are also condusive for lots of alone time for retrospect and self reflection, especially places where i can rent a car and just keep driving with random stops to take in the view over a picnic. ideally places i've not been before. budget wise not an issue because travel fund is bloated from covid anyway.

places that i've had positive experience with long solo trips: norway, canada, australia

places that were on my bucket list before: iceland, nz, greece, scandinavia, south africa (not too sure about this anymore with the collapse of the economy), tanzania, egypt

looking for any feedback/tips from personal experiences etc.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Hisashiburi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think Switzerland is simply beautiful.
Plenty of high mountains, lakes, gorgeous!
A bit pricey though
U can fly SQ F new suites there, if they are still running that flight.

NZ is very nice too , lots of open roads and scenery.

The Japanese alps and Hokkaido area are very scenic as well especially during cherry blossom season.
Can have hanami picnic under the trees.

I dont really recommend S.Africa and Egypt due to safety concerns.

dilphinus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Georgia. Google for the Upper Svaneti. No covid entry restrictions for Georgia. Just don't go in winter cos there's nothing much you can do there.

Else the mountains in Central Asia, (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan) are pretty good too.

Except that you can't use your miles unless you transit in Dubai or Istabul and then hop on to a fare paying flight.

plustwo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Georgia. Google for the Upper Svaneti. No covid entry restrictions for Georgia. Just don't go in winter cos there's nothing much you can do there.

Else the mountains in Central Asia, (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan) are pretty good too.

Except that you can't use your miles unless you transit in Dubai or Istabul and then hop on to a fare paying flight.
i completely forgot. i also like medieval architecture as well. i was looking at meteora before. any experiences?

georgia looks pretty nice but seems like will have to wait till next year may/june period?

central asia is one of the zones i haven't been to. been wanting to do something there for sometime. is it considerably safe these days? can fly in from china?
I think Switzerland is simply beautiful.
Plenty of high mountains, lakes, gorgeous!
A bit pricey though
U can fly SQ F new suites there, if they are still running that flight.

NZ is very nice too , lots of open roads and scenery.

The Japanese alps and Hokkaido area are very scenic as well especially during cherry blossom season.
Can have hanami picnic under the trees.

I dont really recommend S.Africa and Egypt due to safety concerns.
switzerland and hokkaido already checked off but definitely due for a revisit someday. already did a month long hanami pilgrimage couple of years ago chasing the blossoms across the cities.

any specific experience with nz?

i've also looked at suites awards these days and they seem to have nuked all the savers from redemptions especially for vtl. feel like suites as a single person seems pretty wasteful since the whole joined room in the sky is half of the selling point right? would rather spend it on a star alliance rtw first class for 360k.

Hisashiburi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u like mountains and lakes, highly recommend Canada.

Whistler resort in Western Canada is awesome
Summertime is nice too.
Very nice driving, scenery and activities.

Central Canada has the Banff and Jasper National parks.
Highly recommended!
Drove there many years ago and had a great solo time.
Even saw mommy Bear n her two kids on the trail...just a few meters from me...

Also Yellowstone National park in usa. Very cool to visit.

9819A1

Reaction score
Check out Italy Bolzano, Alpe di Siusi and Cortina areas. Beautiful mountains that is much cheaper than Switzerland. Great place to hike too in summer.

search google for the places below. Can’t post links
Seiser Alm
St. Magdalena, Dolomites
tre cime di lavaredo

plustwo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u like mountains and lakes, highly recommend Canada.

Whistler resort in Western Canada is awesome
Summertime is nice too.
Very nice driving, scenery and activities.

Central Canada has the Banff and Jasper National parks.
Highly recommended!
Drove there many years ago and had a great solo time.
Even saw mommy Bear n her two kids on the trail...just a few meters from me...

Also Yellowstone National park in usa. Very cool to visit.
been to banff during summer. pretty nice place i agree. thinking of heading up to northern canada for northern lights. any experience with that?
yellowstone not yet but a little paranoid about second amendment + china virus hate.
Check out Italy Bolzano, Alpe di Siusi and Cortina areas. Beautiful mountains that is much cheaper than Switzerland. Great place to hike too in summer.

search google for the places below. Can’t post links
Seiser Alm
St. Magdalena, Dolomites
tre cime di lavaredo
3 peaks looks good. will try to include in future trip.
do you know of any hike buddy groups? used to use couchsurfing events but they went paid route.

Oftheseas

Reaction score
i completely forgot. i also like medieval architecture as well. i was looking at meteora before. any experiences?
Meteora is really very spectacular and yet serene. Kalambaka is your base and it is such a lovely town with great cuisines. A dinner in a tavern overlooking sunset on the Meteora is worth the whole trip. Take train from Thessaloniki or Athens and explore the area with local buses that brings you up to almost all the monasteries.
I hired a private car ( with my family) from Arachova ( of the Descendants fame ) and also visited some sites along the way. Arachova is one of the most scenic village/town in Greece with lots of hiking trails, which turns into ski slopes in winter. Much nicer than what you see in the k drama.

9819A1

Reaction score
3 peaks looks good. will try to include in future trip.
do you know of any hike buddy groups? used to use couchsurfing events but they went paid route.
I did not hike as I went there during the winter months, but there are plenty hiking trails around the Seceda and Tre Cime areas that I saw during my research

bubbles_08

Reaction score
New Zealand!! I think it's always helpful to meet more people, learn about cultures, try something new and it'd take your mind off things. :)

SpeedingBullet

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Patagonia is king of sparsity. Very few Asians there if you are sick of seeing Asian faces, people here scared to travel that far. Perfect. Although driving isn't conducive in Patagonia, most of the wilderness is.... wilderness.

You can even do Iceland - no Chinese tourists now. This fits perfectly into your driving plan.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.