M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

bert64

Reaction score
Yeah. Perfect to use ethernet to measure but unfortunately my devices don’t have a lan port. Haha! Bo pian la. World is evolving.

m1 sent their technician down to change modem. Speed test on AX88U is 490mbps…Power. TechnicIan say based on their experience, 70-80% modem problem

It's the only way to properly test. The ISP is responsible up to the ONT/modem, but anything after that is out of their hands. ISPs can also be difficult, and will sometimes try to blame the customer's equipment unless you can prove the problem is on their end.

It's always advisable to use ethernet whenever practical... Wireless is only for inherently mobile devices. The more wireless devices you and your neighbours have, the worse the performance will be for everyone. Using wireless on a device that sits in the same physical location just causes unnecessary performance loss to other wireless devices.

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's the only way to properly test. The ISP is responsible up to the ONT/modem, but anything after that is out of their hands. ISPs can also be difficult, and will sometimes try to blame the customer's equipment unless you can prove the problem is on their end.
It's always advisable to use ethernet whenever practical... Wireless is only for inherently mobile devices. The more wireless devices you and your neighbours have, the worse the performance will be for everyone. Using wireless on a device that sits in the same physical location just causes unnecessary performance loss to other wireless devices.

For sure it is good to use Ethernet whenever possible. On the other hand wireless will still be used by the majority of the devices at home, like mobile phones and tablets.

The interference does depend on the housing construction. 2.4GHz is very bad in Singapore for most of the people and I actually disabled 2.4GHz on my main router (Asus RT-AX82U), 5GHz interferences from my neighbours are not bad actually, probably due to the thick walls of older generation HDB flats. Still I need to have another weaker router set up for a few 2.4GHz clients I have at home.

I do not have LAN ports for my HDB flat and I used to use 4pcs of power line adapters to get 100-200Mbps at the rooms. I still use one pair of them for my Raspberry Pi and Orange Pi boards. But most of my other devices (Mac Mini M1, Windows laptop, mobile phone and tablets, Mi Box S, etc) are using wireless and they are just fine with my RT-AX82U router (4*4 AX/AC router on 5GHz).

My Windows laptop does not have Ethernet port but I bought a Ugreen USB to gigabit Ethernet adapter, only usage is for Speedtest. :)

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so farnie, cancel m1 broadband no need to return ONT one ah?
thats what the phone customer service say btw

Most of the ISPs are like this. ONT seems to be pretty cheap for them.

SingTel used to ask for return of ONR (not ONT) but recent reports seem to indicate they no longer do that.

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depending on the floor plan and wireless router/mesh used, some people can really get good enough performance with a single wireless router or a good pair of wireless mesh (using wireless backhaul) without using Ethernet ports in the rooms (older HDB flats do not have).

But yes if you can by all means use Ethernet backhaul based mesh solution, or deploy APs which can tune TX power for seamless roaming. That will give the best wireless performance.

skpuppy

Reaction score
May I ask what are the offers you've seen at Courts for 86U and 82U?

How does it compare to these online offers:

Bro
Buy from Courts if you are really looking at saving $$$

As per the above thread, using promo code JUNE6181 at Courts online. You may need to be fast.

RT-AX86U Gundam version at S$312.20 [S$419 - S$90 (22% off cap at S$90) - S$16.80 = 312.20]
RT-AX82U at around S$239.82 [S#329 - S$72.38 (22% off) -S$16.80 = S$239.82]
Bro
Buy from Courts if you are really looking at saving $$$.

If you need router fast (example previous router spoilt or you need router to work), don’t buy from courts. Based on my personal experience:
(1) Lead time is long. 3 working days just to arrange order, maybe 3 more days to send (total 8-9 days gone). Who in this world deliver order like that? Probably the “old dinosaur companies” who tell management they doing good online business (new concept but follow 1980s way of working)
(2) You apply promo code cannot cancel order. Read fine prints
(3) You are using a dinosaur website. Difficult to navigate etc
(4) if you ever need to dial in hotline, be prepared to wait. Customer service usually think from their own perspective at their own convenience
(5) Other than this subjected to whatever policy, terms and conditions (they song song can pawn you).

if you are used to buying things from Apple, Amazon and enjoying their world class service level, can consider skipping Courts.

MicceL

Reaction score
Hi, time to upgrade my 1gb broadband again. currently, M1 having promotion: free 3 months if signup with mesh router. any advise if the mesh router: asus zenwifi is good? or should i go for AX88U. Currently, i am using AC88U for 4 years already. My 4 room flat master bedroom wifi signal is very weak and i place my AC88U in my DB box beside my main door. Thank you.

Last edited:

bert64

Reaction score
Hi, time to upgrade my 1gb broadband again. currently, M1 having promotion: free 3 months if signup with mesh router. any advise if the mesh router: asus zenwifi is good? or should i go for AX88U. Currently, i am using AC88U for 4 years already. My 4 room flat master bedroom wifi signal is very weak and i place my AC88U in my DB box beside my main door. Thank you.
Placing a wireless router inside the db box will usually result in poor signal strength.
Best really to have a wired router inside the db box, and wireless outside in a central location if possible.

Do you have lan ports in your rooms?

Moving from ac to ax (wifi6) will make no difference whatsoever unless your client devices also support wifi6, although you should always deploy the latest technology if it's not cost prohibitive as your likely to update devices later.

Perhaps you can retain your existing ac88u as a wired router inside the db box with wifi disabled, and deploy new wireless access point(s) outside as required in order to get good coverage.

skpuppy

Reaction score
Yesterday M1 technician came to my place to change a new set of modem. He shared that the placement of my AX88U in the corner of the house and another AC88U in the furthest end of the master bedroom is not ideal as the router has to penetrate walls before it can communicate with the node. He suggested that 1 move my AX88U more inwards so that it lesser obstruction to the AC88U. Bom!

My setup is AX88U (router) and AC88U (node) connected via wireless backhaul. I am on m1 500mbps plan.

Prior to moving both routers
Living room: download 480mbps, upload 470mbps
Study room (nearest room to my living room): download 280mbps, upload 180mbps
Master room (3 rooms away): download: 90mbps, upload: 40mbps
Toilet (furthest away): download: 70mbps, upload: 30mbps

Moving router and node so that there is less obstruction:
Living room: No change
Study room: Download: 390mbps, upload: 150mbps
Master room: Download: 280mbps, upload: 230mbps
Toilet: Download 200mbps, Upload: 160mbps

Wa lan! No joke sia! Results so so as compared to many bros here but something I have never seen for the last 10 years. Toilet also can watch 4k

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
m1 intermittent again haizzzz
issit because of the rain ?

Hotpants

Reaction score
yeah having issue here with WoW as well. latency looks good but its super laggy for me

bert64

Reaction score
usually when it rains in jurong west, it is like that =/
im hoping its not my lyra trio
Rain shouldn't make any difference... Something is faulty, although i can't think what piece of equipment might be affected by rain unless you've got a leak and suffering water ingress somewhere...

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the NOC side of M1 is trying to explain on the committed speed on 1GBps plan is only 200Mbps. anything extra is bonus

jasonho

Reaction score
the NOC side of M1 is trying to explain on the committed speed on 1GBps plan is only 200Mbps. anything extra is bonus

* The Typical Speed Range refers to the range of download speeds that users can experience 80% of the time based on the specific test conditions and parameters stipulated below. Testing Time Frame: January to March 2021.

tankee531

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wonder what is their typical speed range during peak hours

TheSnail

Reaction score
So...... I'm joining you here in the thread after being around a couple of months since yesterday I signed a 24-months contract for new 1GB line, 2-months free, free registration, installation and RT-AX55, switching from WhizComms to hopefully get better international routing for my TV.

Gear gets delivered on Friday, with installation next Thursday.

Hope to implement everything correctly, inc. IPv6 etc. and hope uptime is consistent as I never had downtime with WC.

asianfish

Reaction score
Hi guys would like to seek your advice. If I were to get the 1gbps plan that comes with the free Asus ax55 router, can this ax55 router act as a mesh node while I get either RT-AX82U/86U/88U to be the main router?

Should I use the better router as the fibre point/main router, does it make a difference?

P/S: what is the wireless backhaul that you guys are mentioning?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Hi guys would like to seek your advice. If I were to get the 1gbps plan that comes with the free Asus ax55 router, can this ax55 router act as a mesh node while I get either RT-AX82U/86U/88U to be the main router?
Ans : Yes
Should I use the better router as the fibre point/main router, does it make a difference?
Ans : The main router should always be the better router.
P/S: what is the wireless backhaul that you guys are mentioning?
Ans : Backhaul is a technical term for "backbone" used in telecommunication. Wireless backhaul simply means the backbone of your network is made of direct wireless connections between the nodes of the mesh system.

asianfish

Reaction score
Ans : Yes

Ans : The main router should always be the better router.

Ans : Backhaul is a technical term for "backbone" used in telecommunication. Wireless backhaul simply means the backbone of your network is made of direct wireless connections between the nodes of the mesh system.
So can I say that as long as I get Asus routers that are compatible with the AiMesh WiFi system, I will create a wireless backhaul?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.