M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

skpuppy

Reaction score
strange my ping is 6ms through wireless. Not sure why. Never hit 2ms

eauyong

Reaction score
The 2ms ping local server (Starhub) achieved was from Main router connected to Computer by wire.
The 3ms ping local server (Starhub) was achieved from Main router (AC speed 1,733.2Mbps 5Ghz band 149, 80Mhz width) to AX55 onwards to Computer by wire.

Main router --> wire --> Computer = 2ms ping
Main router --> wifi --> Second router --> Computer = 3ms. ping
Both server is local Starhub Mobile.

FYI, stated in M1 contract:-
Fibre 1Gbps
Theoretical download speed of 1000Mbps and upload speed of 1000Mbps.
The Typical Speed Range is 875.5 - 902.1Mbps. These refer to the range of download speeds that users can experience 80% of the time based on the specific test conditions and parameters which are stipulated in m1.com.sg/HBBspeeds. Testing Time Frame: January to March 2021.

bert64

Reaction score
The 2ms ping local server (Starhub) achieved was from Main router connected to Computer by wire.
The 3ms ping local server (Starhub) was achieved from Main router (AC speed 1,733.2Mbps 5Ghz band 149, 80Mhz width) to AX55 onwards to Computer by wire.

Main router --> wire --> Computer = 2ms ping
Main router --> wifi --> Second router --> Computer = 3ms. ping
Both server is local Starhub Mobile.

FYI, stated in M1 contract:-
Fibre 1Gbps
Theoretical download speed of 1000Mbps and upload speed of 1000Mbps.
The Typical Speed Range is 875.5 - 902.1Mbps. These refer to the range of download speeds that users can experience 80% of the time based on the specific test conditions and parameters which are stipulated in m1.com.sg/HBBspeeds. Testing Time Frame: January to March 2021.
That's actually VERY misleading... If you look at the URLs they give, at least two of the "foreign" sites (knoppix.nl and dkm.cz) actually redirect you to a local mirror site hosted by M1 themselves:

* Trying 145.220.21.40:80...
* Connected to ftp.knoppix.nl (145.220.21.40) port 80 (#0)
> GET /os/Linux/distr/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V9.1DVD-2021-01-25-EN.iso HTTP/1.1
> Host: ftp.knoppix.nl
> User-Agent: curl/7.72.0
> Accept: */*
>
* Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 302 Found
< Cache-Control: no-cache
< Connection: close
< Location: ftp.knoppix.nl/os/Linux/distr/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V9.1DVD-2021-01-25-EN.iso
< Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
< X-verification: 7223575851
<
* Closing connection 0

While i can see why they would do this from a user experience point of view, using such a setup as an indication of "speed from foreign sites" is extremely misleading. The fact that these sites are mirrored and downloading from them is redirected to the local mirror instead of from the actual foreign site is not disclosed in the above linked site.

If you download over SSL (most of these mirror sites also support SSL), or using IPv6 then no redirection occurs and you receive a transfer directly from the actual site, as expected it's considerably slower.

durexxx

Reaction score
Hi guys, gonna sign M1 fibre after looking around all the ISP. Their current online promo $39.90 Free 3 months if top up $13 for the Asus AX88U. I’m staying in a 2 bedroom condo, does it worth while for this router or I should just stick to the free AX55? Just need some opinions. $13 kinda okay for 24 months as compare buying RRP outside which easily cost $400+

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, gonna sign M1 fibre after looking around all the ISP. Their current online promo $39.90 Free 3 months if top up $13 for the Asus AX88U. I’m staying in a 2 bedroom condo, does it worth while for this router or I should just stick to the free AX55? Just need some opinions. $13 kinda okay for 24 months as compare buying RRP outside which easily cost $400+

If just for cost, I will suggest yoy to downgrade to 500Mbps and then buy RT-AX58U/AX86U/88U out side. Recently there was a super good offer for RT-AX86U Gundam edition (S$312) from Courts but it has expired.

RT-AX88U often gets offer price as well below S$400 (as low as S$320).

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
strange my ping is 6ms through wireless. Not sure why. Never hit 2ms

If you have mesh setup, make sure you test with the main node and not the mesh node. Then test again. You should get 2ms to 4ms with your good AX router and good AX client, even with wireless.

On the other hand, 6ms is not bad if you get it consistently.

Ref: my speedtest results with RT-AX82U using different AC/AX wireless clients, ping is between 2ms to 5ms.

durexxx

Reaction score
I guess it’s gonna be more than sufficient, cos mostly just streaming Netflix and YouTube. No gaming or anything, I do have concern of reliability cos I’ve been singtel user for a long time. Is it bad? Thanks Xiaofan, I’ve got a Huawei AX3 pro recommendation from you many months back in another thread. Probably should get another Huawei AX3 pro. Lol

watzup_ken

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The router is very good in value if you need it. But for a 2 bedroom apartment, I think it may be overkill. I would say the free router, AX55, may be good enough.

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s gonna be more than sufficient, cos mostly just streaming Netflix and YouTube. No gaming or anything, I do have concern of reliability cos I’ve been singtel user for a long time. Is it bad? Thanks Xiaofan, I’ve got a Huawei AX3 pro recommendation from you many months back in another thread. Probably should get another Huawei AX3 pro. Lol

Yes, if one AX3 Pro is not good enough, get another one to form a mesh.

I am sticking to Singtel myself as I do not need gaming and I value stability over performance.

But for value, M1 is the best value, especially 500Mbps.

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
...Switching my 4 years old StarHub 1Gbps BB.

Today is my 1st day with M1 1Gbps (RT-AX55) BB.

So far so good. :whistle:

qWuxmkb.jpg

SSqVyPP.jpg

Last edited:

xiangzeng

Reaction score
Mine is 1 gbps broadband by M1, I got 90 to 95 mbps last week until I called M1 technical help who told me to unplug the incoming ethernet cable to the incoming port of the router and then connected back to the same port. Then I checked the speed back to 942 mbps and had been stable to be above 900 mbps. Maybe you can try this method, else call to 1627 home broadband help line to ask for help.

TheSnail

Reaction score
M1 have been, and played with the RT-AX55 settings the last hour, inc. needing a reset.

Anyway IPv6 says I'm supported, so seems to be okay. ICMP - Not Tested and Hostname - Servfail.

Additionally my score is 12/20 with three recommendations:

Reconfigure your firewall

Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

Upgrade your web browser

Your web browser doesn't seem to be able to fall back to the other protocol when its default is advertised by a website but happens to be unavailable. Recent versions of Firefox or Chrome can deal with this transparently.

Fix your DNS configuration

The DNS servers that should associate your IPv6 address with a host name are either misconfigured or not responding, this could lead to random latencies when trying to contact many Internet services. DNS servers are usually managed at the ISP level.

I don't really want to change Browser from Edge but how to I fix the other two? Thanks.

Finally, from two laptop Speedtests I get DL of 564 and 518 against UL of 474 and 299 respectively. I believe my laptop is IPv6. My phone only gave me DL64 and UL69

bert64

Reaction score
M1 have been, and played with the RT-AX55 settings the last hour, inc. needing a reset.

Anyway IPv6 says I'm supported, so seems to be okay. ICMP - Not Tested and Hostname - Servfail.

Additionally my score is 12/20 with three recommendations:

Reconfigure your firewall

Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

Upgrade your web browser

Your web browser doesn't seem to be able to fall back to the other protocol when its default is advertised by a website but happens to be unavailable. Recent versions of Firefox or Chrome can deal with this transparently.

Fix your DNS configuration

The DNS servers that should associate your IPv6 address with a host name are either misconfigured or not responding, this could lead to random latencies when trying to contact many Internet services. DNS servers are usually managed at the ISP level.

I don't really want to change Browser from Edge but how to I fix the other two? Thanks.

Finally, from two laptop Speedtests I get DL of 564 and 518 against UL of 474 and 299 respectively. I believe my laptop is IPv6. My phone only gave me DL64 and UL69

DNS - this refers to reverse DNS, you cannot do anything about this and M1 would need to set reverse DNS entries or delegate control. On the other hand, reverse DNS is not really used by anything other than IRC and SMTP (assuming you are running a mail server which sends mail directly to other servers) these days so it's unlikely to cause you much concern.

ICMP could be a problem if you are filtering certain ICMP responses, for instance if you try to send a packet which is too large the target host should respond with an ICMPv6 "packet too big" response, which will then cause your host to send smaller packets, for example:

typhoon ~ # ping6 -s 1400 mtu1280.test-ipv6.com PING mtu1280.test-ipv6.com(mtu1280.vm3.test-ipv6.com (2001:470:1:18::3:1280)) 1400 data bytes From mtu1280.vm3.test-ipv6.com (2001:470:1:18::3:1280) icmp_seq=1 [B]Packet too big: mtu=1280[/B] From mtu1280.vm3.test-ipv6.com (2001:470:1:18::3:1280) icmp_seq=2 Packet too big: mtu=1280 ^C --- mtu1280.test-ipv6.com ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, +2 errors, 100% packet loss, time 2003ms

With the above command I try to send a 1400 byte ping packet to mtu1280.test-ipv6.com which only supports a maximum packet size of 1280, the host responds saying the packet is too big. If you are blocking ICMPv6 responses, you will not get this error and your system won't know why the packets were dropped.

That said, the response you got was "ICMP not tested" which means it couldnt test, so you may be fine. It's hard to check this from a browser anyway, might be easier to do the ping test yourself.

Your browser should default to IPv6 when available, and fall back to IPv4 if it can't reach IPv6 for whatever reason. Edge usually does this correctly, so i'm not sure what might be happening in your case.

Your phone almost certainly also supports IPv6 unless it's an extremely old model... The difference in performance is likely down to wifi setup rather than IPv6.
IPv6 is more efficient and slightly faster all else being equal, but it wouldn't account for a 10-fold difference unless something else is very broken.

Also not all speedtest sites actually support IPv6 in which case it would make no difference whatsoever as the site would fall back to using IPv4.

Last edited:

TheSnail

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I read that as, nothing else to do?

In the end I am hoping for better overseas speeds.

bert64

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I read that as, nothing else to do?

In the end I am hoping for better overseas speeds.

Nothing you can do about the reverse DNS, and you probably have no need to do anything.
The ICMP i would check that ICMP responses are coming through ok, otherwise you might see unexpected problems with path mtu discovery

Overseas speeds are going to depend on the destination and what you're doing, sometimes IPv6 takes a different route which may be faster or slower. For instance my route to servers i have hosted with OVH in France is considerably quicker over IPv6.
Some sites are not dual stack, so there would be no difference.

If you're downloading from far away servers with significant latency, you might find tcp window scaling options make a big difference.

TheSnail

Reaction score
For the MTU test, try going to:

If you are unable to receive ICMPv6 responses, that site will stall or fail.

Thank You!

That site came up with GREEN al over the place inc. "Other IPv6 Sites" tab. Readiness score came 10/10 so what I have to do now is play around with my new and old TV-Box. I made a mistake when buying a newer one, realising later the switch inside is only 100MB against my only one that is 1GB so I might switch back.

Apex

Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.