M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TP-Link product is easy to set up. It lacks the feature and long term support of the Asus routers.

BCM6755 (quad core ARM Cortex A7 1.5GHz, mainly for AX1500/AX1800 router) is actually a bit lower end than the BCM6750 CPU (tri-core Arm Cortex A7 1.5GHz, most often used for AX3000 and AX5400 router). They are basically the same in terms of CPU power, BCM6755 might be slightly more powerful because of the extra core but practically speaking they are the same.

BCM6750 is used in Asus RT-AX58U/82U as well as Asus Zenwifi XT8. I am using the RT-AX82U, the CPU is fine to me. Of course you do not want to enable QoS as the CPU is too weak for that. On the other end, even the BCM4098 CPU used in RT-AX86U is not really good for QoS at 1Gbps.

Problems with RT-AX55 is actually the 256MB RAM compared to the 512MB RAM in RT-AX56U (same CPU), if you have a lot of clients. TP-Link AX73 uses BCM6750 and at least it has 512MB RAM, the same CPU and RAM as Asus RT-AX58U and RT-AX82U. You can consider it as a low cost alternative to RT-AX82U.

TP-Link HW/FW are pretty stable. I have used multiple TP-Link product like TP-Link Deco M4, RE350 and RE305. Problem is long term support where Asus is the best among the consumer router vendors.
I really appreciate your great sharings!!

TP-Link AX73 it is for me then! Will try it out for 2 years and see how it goes from there..

ps. I saw that the AX73's firmware latest update was only up till 2020-09-29 lol

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Compare to Asus RT-AX55 : Version 3.0.0.4.386.42844 2021/05/19
Haha.. I honestly not sure how would the benefit of a frequent firmware update vs one that rarely has any updates affect me..

To be honest, I only update it to the latest once, on the very first time I set it up and then leave it be all the way unless there're impending issues arising..

ruffruff

Master Member
Reaction score
You can check out the RT-AX88U thread. There are multiple reports of Firmware upgrade issues reported. Same for the Asus Zenwfi XT8.

You may want to try factory reset or contact Asus for help.

Actually RT-AX86U seems to be better than RT-AX88U based on the feedbacks in this forum and there was a 618 promotion from Courts at S$312 for the Gundam special edition. But that promotion is no more.
Thanks for the info, but I am too late for the promotion. In any case, I did have the intention previously to get a second ac88u as the main router (I have 7 LAN ports in the utility room, so i can do away with the 8 port switch) .

I just tested a second option is to use my Asus secondary routers as AP mode, which will resolve the bandwidth issue, but create a bunch of other issues, i.e. wifi hopping between AP is not as seamless as AiMesh, thus unhappy wife :p

So i guess i will stick with AiMesh for now and pray for a firmware release soon.

Apex

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but I am too late for the promotion. In any case, I did have the intention previously to get a second ac88u as the main router (I have 7 LAN ports in the utility room, so i can do away with the 8 port switch) .

I just tested a second option is to use my Asus secondary routers as AP mode, which will resolve the bandwidth issue, but create a bunch of other issues, i.e. wifi hopping between AP is not as seamless as AiMesh, thus unhappy wife :p

So i guess i will stick with AiMesh for now and pray for a firmware release soon.

This Asus firmware fixed security issue but not sure if this introduce a lot issue on their AI-mesh. I’m getting WAN disconnection issue on my router and it just happen when it feel like it. I check the logs can’t tell or see any issue (not a linux expert also lah).

Now also convert my Asus wifi 6 router to AP mode

AMAT

Reaction score
Problems with RT-AX55 is actually the 256MB RAM compared to the 512MB RAM in RT-AX56U (same CPU), if you have a lot of clients. TP-Link AX73 uses BCM6750 and at least it has 512MB RAM, the same CPU and RAM as Asus RT-AX58U and RT-AX82U. You can consider it as a low cost alternative to RT-AX82U.

I think you got the idea wrong, more ram is for loading programs like Aiprotection or vpn clients. More clients does not need more ram, you will need more cores, while higher speed per core will give you faster speedtest

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you got the idea wrong, more ram is for loading programs like Aiprotection or vpn clients. More clients does not need more ram, you will need more cores, while higher speed per core will give you faster speedtest

From the following URL.
Faster CPUs are generally better and may be able to increase your performance. But RAM is typically where most routers fail. More and faster RAM can handle more threads, which is especially important is you have a lot of network traffic going back and forth, such as a lot of devices or even torrenting.

babyk88

Reaction score
Anyone can give me idea how to set up the Edgerouter X with the white ONT?

should I just tag VLAN 1107 or 1103?

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone can give me idea how to set up the Edgerouter X with the white ONT?

should I just tag VLAN 1107 or 1103?

M1 don't use VLAN. BTW in case u haven't done this.

M1 swap router usually need to call them to reset their backend to release the old router MAC ADDRESS.

You need to call M1 (via phone automation or speak to Support engineer) to reset your fiber profile. (I done this 3 month ago)

Call 1627
Select 2 (BB svc)
Select 2 (Tech Assistant)
Select 5 (unable to connect to internet)
Select 1 (Network reset)
Enter your M1 account number (need your M1 bill)
Enter a mobile number (SMS u once it done)
0OmhTS1.jpg

babyk88

Reaction score
I
M1 don't use VLAN. BTW in case u haven't done this.

M1 swap router usually need to call them to reset their backend to release the old router MAC ADDRESS.

You need to call M1 (via phone automation or speak to Support engineer) to reset your fiber profile. (I done this 3 month ago)

Call 1627
Select 2 (BB svc)
Select 2 (Tech Assistant)
Select 5 (unable to connect to internet)
Select 1 (Network reset)
Enter your M1 account number (need your M1 bill)
Enter a mobile number (SMS u once it done)
0OmhTS1.jpg
I have refreshed the profile from M1 side via hotline as above but still it only connects via my old asus router

I cloned the asus router MAC address to eth0 as well but I can’t get any IP

any idea?

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From the following URL.
Faster CPUs are generally better and may be able to increase your performance. But RAM is typically where most routers fail. More and faster RAM can handle more threads, which is especially important is you have a lot of network traffic going back and forth, such as a lot of devices or even torrenting.
Great info to know pertaining to the CPUs and Rams of a router..

ABuNeNe

Master Member
Reaction score
On 500mbps plan, what should I expect for the speed on gigabit lan directly connected to my router and 5ghz wifi?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On 500mbps plan, what should I expect for the speed on gigabit lan directly connected to my router and 5ghz wifi?

For Ookla speedtest, you should expect near 500Mbps using wired. For wireless it will depend on the router and wireless client. Normally you can expect 300-450Mbps for a decent 2*2 AC client and a typical AC router at close range (theoretical max speed is 867Mbps for 2*2 80MHz AC devices).

water111

Reaction score
For those using M1 with Asus Routers, how do you enable IPv6 and what are the settings to choose on the router e.g RT-AX86U.

bert64

Reaction score
From the following URL.
Yes and no, depends on the device and its architecture.
The networking stack will run in the kernel (or on custom ASICS in a lot of devices), and kernel memory buffers are pre allocated at boot time.
The router doesn't really consider number of clients but rather number of sessions (ie active traffic flows such as a TCP connection or UDP flow).
At boot it will size the buffers according to the available memory, but its possible to change the allocations.
The available userland memory is for the management interface and anything else you load on top. If you're not running any additional userland software you might be able to increase the size of kernel buffers to achieve better performance, which will leave less memory available to userland.

In fact, a "router" to use the correct terminology doesn't care about sessions, it should only care about individual packets. It's a stateful firewall which cares about sessions. If you can switch off state tracking you can achieve much higher throughput with the same resources but with the caveats of needing enough address space and devices being responsible for their own traffic control. Corporate networks are typically like this, with firewalls and routers being separate devices each performing its own function.

Consumer level devices are marginally specced at best because there is heavy price competition... They might *barely* be able to achieve the advertised performance, when operating under ideal conditions - real world conditions will vary greatly. For those that have ASICS (even the high end equipment) the hardware will typically be limited to the common use cases and anything else falls over to software which will be MUCH slower.

It's also worth considering that in many countries 1gbps connections at home are not commonplace or even available at all. If the connection itself is <100mbps the hardware or local wifi isn't going to be a bottleneck unless you grossly misconfigure it.

bert64

Reaction score
For those using M1 with Asus Routers, how do you enable IPv6 and what are the settings to choose on the router e.g RT-AX86U.

Native Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6)
Ensure that prefix delegation (DHCPv6-PD) is enabled
Prefix size will need to be set to 64 if such an option is available

Once enabled your clients should get an ipv6 address automatically, you can go to http://www.test-ipv6.com to verify and also check the network settings depending on the device type.

M1 should really train their techs properly so this gets enabled by default...

water111

Reaction score
Native Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6)
Ensure that prefix delegation (DHCPv6-PD) is enabled
Prefix size will need to be set to 64 if such an option is available

Once enabled your clients should get an ipv6 address automatically, you can go to http://www.test-ipv6.com to verify and also check the network settings depending on the device type.

M1 should really train their techs properly so this gets enabled by default.
Thanks. I’ll try it tonight.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes and no, depends on the device and its architecture.
The networking stack will run in the kernel (or on custom ASICS in a lot of devices), and kernel memory buffers are pre allocated at boot time.
The router doesn't really consider number of clients but rather number of sessions (ie active traffic flows such as a TCP connection or UDP flow).
At boot it will size the buffers according to the available memory, but its possible to change the allocations.
The available userland memory is for the management interface and anything else you load on top. If you're not running any additional userland software you might be able to increase the size of kernel buffers to achieve better performance, which will leave less memory available to userland.

In fact, a "router" to use the correct terminology doesn't care about sessions, it should only care about individual packets. It's a stateful firewall which cares about sessions. If you can switch off state tracking you can achieve much higher throughput with the same resources but with the caveats of needing enough address space and devices being responsible for their own traffic control. Corporate networks are typically like this, with firewalls and routers being separate devices each performing its own function.

Consumer level devices are marginally specced at best because there is heavy price competition... They might *barely* be able to achieve the advertised performance, when operating under ideal conditions - real world conditions will vary greatly. For those that have ASICS (even the high end equipment) the hardware will typically be limited to the common use cases and anything else falls over to software which will be MUCH slower.

It's also worth considering that in many countries 1gbps connections at home are not commonplace or even available at all. If the connection itself is <100mbps the hardware or local wifi isn't going to be a bottleneck unless you grossly misconfigure it.

Thanks for the insights.

We are talking in the context of this forum and the router here is an all in one device with firewall, router, wireless AP function all built-in.

I do not quite agree with the word "barely" though. They are fine for average users (not professional user) like I. I am perfectly fine with my Asus RT-AX82U with a weak CPU (BCM6750 tri-core Cortex A7 1.5GHz) but 512MB RAM. Of course it will have limitation for QoS (but QoS is basically useless for 1Gbps for consumer grade router). It also can not achieve much above 600Mbps as a iperf3 client/server (you do not need to run iperf3 on the router anyway).

Routers like RT-AX86U will be better than RT-AX82U with a stronger CPU (BCM4908). Xiaomi AX9000 with Qualcomm CPU will be even better even though the FW implementation may not be able to demonstrate the full power of the router.

That being said, I am also running the pfSense firewall on an Intel J4105 Mini PC along with my RT-AX82U. Indeed it has more features and some can be useful for power users. Unfortunately I can not figure out a way to get Singtel TV working. If not I will just run my RT-AX82U as an AP behind pfSense firewall. So currently I am running both as a router (two separate networks).

Last edited:

eauyong

Reaction score
1Gbps plan at $39.90/mth
500 Mbps plan at $29.90/mth

Difference is just S$10 per month or 0.33 per day.
Why try so hard to get the router to perform (at the bottle-neck speed of 500 Mbps) when just 33 cents per day can achieve speeds of above 950 Mbps. Beats me! Especially so called 'power-users'.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.