M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

Land2005

Reaction score
If your M1 contract going to due, wait till expiry and call 1627 mention unable to re-contract thru their website. They will divert you to customer service and will send you sms link to a webpage with limited time offer. For 24 months re-contract free 2 months subscription and it's better than VIU offer.

yangken

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my current setup:
1. I had all my rooms connected via RJ45 to DB (wired backhaul)
2. In DB, M1 ONT -> EdgeRouter X
3. Ent1 from EdgeRouter X -> LAN in Living Room
4. Living Room -> Asus RT-AX82U (setup as Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode)

Questions
1. If I want to connect another Asus Router in one of my bedroom to the LAN, should I setup the router as another AP with the same SSID? Or should I set as AiMesh Node?

Please advise.

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
For those with WAN ip 138.75.55.X, can you access to Lazada.sg from Desktop browser?
Im not able to for the passed 2 ~3 days ... Lazada Apps no problem though ....

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm on the M1 500 Mbps plan and I'm only able to hit 140Mbps speed on LAN connection directly to the router RT-AC1200G+. Any ideas why?

I assume you are using Asus router.

Try this :

1. Go to : LAN => Switch Control => NAT Acceleration
2. Set it to "Auto"

Do feedback whether does this works for you.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am curious of the contention ratio for M1 home broadband? aha

This needs some industry insider to answer.

I searched the forum and only mentioning is from miloaisdino, he mentioned among the big three, M1 is the worst.

I think that makes sense since it is the smallest and "poorest" among the three, so it probably spent the least in terms infrastructure investment.

But then in real world, M1 seems to be pretty okay and I will recommend M1 Fibre Internet over SingTel (ONR, poor routing) and Starhub (okay in general, but not that great customer service). Take note I do not use M1 myself but SingTel 1Gbps (ONT user) and Starhub 500Mbps.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am having pretty good performance with M1. Can hit 900mbps+ on most days, and this is for both up and downlinks each. some or most isps limit uploads to half the full speed only, eg. 500mbps for a 1gbps plan.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am having pretty good performance with M1. Can hit 900mbps+ on most days, and this is for both up and downlinks each. some or most isps limit uploads to half the full speed only, eg. 500mbps for a 1gbps plan.
Only one ISP limit the upload speed to 500Mbps for the 1Gbps plan, that is MyReplublic.

And with wired connection, all the ISPs can hit 1Gbps up/down (1Gbps down, 500Mbps down for MyRepublic) for the 1Gbps plan.

So M1 is nothing special here.

Rather some of the the benefits are as followed.
1) Native IPv6 support, only Starhub has that. Singtel is using the lousy 6rd IPv6. MyRepublic, Viewquest and Whizcomms do not offer that.

2) Decent international routing performance, Singtel is usually worst among the big three.

3) Relatively okay customer service, compared to Singtel and Starhub

4) Decent bundled wireless router (not a main advantage for power users, but may be important to novice users). RT-AX55 is the best free bundled router among the big three for the 1Gbps plan. Singtel Mesh router is okay but so-so. Starhub Nokia Beacon 1 is pretty bad.

Last edited:

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only one ISP limit the upload speed to 500Mbps for the 1Gbps plan, that is MyReplublic.
things have changed? last time on SH also half the speed only. dun dare to use singtel. haha..

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This needs some industry insider to answer.

I searched the forum and only mentioning is from miloaisdino, he mentioned among the big three, M1 is the worst.

I think that makes sense since it is the smallest and "poorest" among the three, so it probably spent the least in terms infrastructure investment.

But then in real world, M1 seems to be pretty okay and I will recommend M1 Fibre Internet over SingTel (ONR, poor routing) and Starhub (okay in general, but not that great customer service). Take note I do not use M1 myself but SingTel 1Gbps (ONT user) and Starhub 500Mbps.
I am also keen to see if any industry insider are willing to share on the contention ratio among the 3 main ISP in SG and that will be the one of the main crucial information to make a decision with.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also keen to see if any industry insider are willing to share on the contention ratio among the 3 main ISP in SG and that will be the one of the main crucial information to make a decision with.

Interesting, what is the reason that your decision has to do with the contention ratio if it is for personal use?

If for business, then it is probably different story.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
somehow it casacade down to the committed international speed and committed local speed for our decision making :s12: thou that this might be a good factor to consider

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
somehow it casacade down to the committed international speed and committed local speed for our decision making :s12: thou that this might be a good factor to consider

Ah I see. In that case, M1 is probably not the best. Starhub may be more consistent in this aspect.

If you do not care for IPv6, maybe Viewquest is the best in that aspect (but not so stable), MyRepublic is also not bad if you do not care for upload speed limit.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably trade secret.. ;)

bert64

Reaction score
Probably trade secret.. ;)
The GPON technology allows for 2.4/1.2gb to be split between 128 users by design, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.984

Wether ISPs fully load their OLTs is another matter. It's also going to depend where you are, and who you're sharing a port with. If your neighbours are heavy downloaders vs light users. But that's just for the last mile... Also have to consider the upstream links, you can see peering relationships using a BGP looking glass, eg: https://bgp.he.net/AS4773 but that just shows you who they peer with not the capacity, usage or purpose (peering vs transit) of the lines.

You can also see port speed and peering policy on SGIX: https://www.sgix.sg/peering-participants/
Other IX may have similar pages.

carbonaddictxd

Reaction score
I assume you are using Asus router.

Try this :

1. Go to : LAN => Switch Control => NAT Acceleration
2. Set it to "Auto"

Do feedback whether does this works for you.
Yes, I've set that to auto previously.

Finally able to hit 500Mbps on speedtest, guess previously there were other factors affecting its speed.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The GPON technology allows for 2.4/1.2gb to be split between 128 users by design, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.984

Wether ISPs fully load their OLTs is another matter. It's also going to depend where you are, and who you're sharing a port with. If your neighbours are heavy downloaders vs light users. But that's just for the last mile... Also have to consider the upstream links, you can see peering relationships using a BGP looking glass, eg: https://bgp.he.net/AS4773 but that just shows you who they peer with not the capacity, usage or purpose (peering vs transit) of the lines.

You can also see port speed and peering policy on SGIX: https://www.sgix.sg/peering-participants/
Other IX may have similar pages.
Seem like is one line split by max 128 users haha.. I guess is true if u kenna a few heavy downloaded in your area you are gone Liao with your line getting saturated.. that can explain why some isp might load their contention ratio with subscribers

elanwy

Reaction score
Anyone know if existing user can recontract and get free router? I am told cannot, which is very stupid since I will need to terminate my existing account and sign up new one using another name. Customer service says no more promo for existing user after last month's flash deal.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wait and see if there's any National Day promo?

Kitaro9202

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone use m broadband to play mobile legend?

Mine ping sometime drop till 200ms cannot continue leh

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.