M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got the time to set up my TP Link's Archer AX73

Working like a charm currently with Speedtest on both loads scoring a whopping 95x Mbps throughout various local networks..

Only drawback from what I see is the lack of firmware upgrades which is currently still stuck since "29 Sept 2020" lol..

Last edited:

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so...do i still need to call M1 support if i want to change router?

or must i off my old router and wait for a day or two before powering on my new router?

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

or must i off my old router and wait for a day or two before powering on my new router?

Yes change router need to inform M1.

I was told if you release the WAN IP before swap router don't need to call (i have not tested this yet)

elanwy

Reaction score

Need to call. Talk to CS or use the auto release IP function on the hotline. Can't be done ourselves nowadays.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need to call. Talk to CS or use the auto release IP function on the hotline. Can't be done ourselves nowadays.
Yes change router need to inform M1.

I was told if you release the WAN IP before swap router don't need to call (i have not tested this yet)

i have an idea though...since some routers like Asus allow Mac address cloning, couldn't we use that feature to clone the mac address of the old router on the new router? I assumed the WAN ip reservation is done via Mac address?

I have a spare Asus router i wanted to change as 5Ghz radio of my current one is wonky to the point that i had to disable it (2.4Ghz still works fine).

But i am too lazy to call and deal with phone support..lmao.

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have an idea though...since some routers like Asus allow Mac address cloning, couldn't we use that feature to clone the mac address of the old router on the new router? I assumed the WAN ip reservation is done via Mac address?

I have a spare Asus router i wanted to change as 5Ghz radio of my current one is wonky to the point that i had to disable it (2.4Ghz still works fine).

Yes clone MAC address work.

Otherwise u M1 automated service to reset the line as listed below

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score

lazy to call but not lazy to clone?

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Self Help Service of the M1 Hotline very Easy to use. No need to wait to connect to the CS officer which is a headache.

Here are the steps to release the router or reset your connection
Call 1627 then press 2 then 2 then 5 then press 1 to confirm and key in your account number then key in your mobile phone which m1 will send u a SMS when the reset is done.

pyhfsg

Reaction score
I replaced my Google Wifi router with the Asus RT-AX55 a couple of weeks ago. I have one as the router and one as the AiMesh node. I liked the improved coverage and speed of Wifi 6 compared to Google Wifi mesh. But I have issues with the reliability of the wifi connection since Day 1. Within the first week, the wifi never lasted longer than 3 days without dropping. I contacted Asus Support and tried different configurations: scheduled reboot from once a week to every day; turned off AiProtection; changed the WAN DHCP from Aggressive to Normal. None of these seems to fixed the Wiifi/WAN disconnection problem. I called M1, they sent their technician to replace the 5 years old fibre modem which I never suspected is the problem. Within 24 hours of the modem replacement, the Wifi/Wan disconnected twice again. I just turned off the Adaptive QoS and changed the WAN DHCP to Continuous a couple of hours ago.

Has anyone else encounter similar problem with the Asus AX55?

AMAT

Reaction score
I replaced my Google Wifi router with the Asus RT-AX55 a couple of weeks ago. I have one as the router and one as the AiMesh node.

Has anyone else encounter similar problem with the Asus AX55?

The router could be defective. Since you have 2 units, what you can do go into main router, in network map turn off the WAN (saves you the trouble for calling M1 on router change), then power off and disconnect main router. Connect the node WAN port to M1 ONT, power up, after 2 mins press the reset for 10 secs then release, start configuring as wireless router mode, once internet connected do not configure others (like aiprotection, qos etc) and use it for a few days and see whether got wifi disconnect or not. You can re-use the disconnected main router as repeater (power up, 2 mins press reset and then setup as repeater) and set up a different ssid, monitor which ax55 is giving you wifi problem.

When you find out which ax55 is defective, you can do rma, and when back, set up as aimesh.

ktnpl2005

Reaction score
hi guys, my router broke down so i have the option to choose either TP-Link Archer AX73 or ASUS RT-AX55 which one do you recommend? I actually have a spare router ASUS RT-AC68U is that better or worse than the 2 above?
I am using AX55 (wifi6) as main router and it is working well. It is free when I switched over from SingTel 1 Gbps to M1 1Gbps. Your AC68U (wifi5) could be deployed as the secondary router. I deployed the wifi5 router from SingTel as the secondary router to get full wifi coverage for all 4 bedrooms and yard.

pyhfsg

Reaction score
The router could be defective. Since you have 2 units, what you can do go into main router, in network map turn off the WAN (saves you the trouble for calling M1 on router change), then power off and disconnect main router. Connect the node WAN port to M1 ONT, power up, after 2 mins press the reset for 10 secs then release, start configuring as wireless router mode, once internet connected do not configure others (like aiprotection, qos etc) and use it for a few days and see whether got wifi disconnect or not. You can re-use the disconnected main router as repeater (power up, 2 mins press reset and then setup as repeater) and set up a different ssid, monitor which ax55 is giving you wifi problem.

When you find out which ax55 is defective, you can do rma, and when back, set up as aimesh.
Thanks very much for your suggestions, may give it a try. Wonder if anyone else experienced the same problem. I googled this, it seems to be a common problem for Asus Routers

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your suggestions, may give it a try. Wonder if anyone else experienced the same problem. I googled this, it seems to be a common problem for Asus Routers

No issues here with RT-AX82U which I run 24/7 since end of last year.

I only know of report of such issues with certain FW version of TUF AX3000 but later FW version seems to sorted it out. So you may have to wait for new FW.

You may want to factory reset your AX55 and try again. Do not use any thing related to QoS, the CPU is too weak to handle QoS.

Asus is using the low end BCM6755 and BCM6750 across a wide spectrum of AX routers like RT-AX55/RT-AX56U/XT8 (BCM6755), RT-AX58U/RT-AX82U and TUF AX3000 (BCM6750).

You get faster CPU only with the higher end RT-AX86U/RT-AX88U/etc.

pyhfsg

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I turned the QoS off earlier today, keeping my fingers crossed. I did not mention Asus Support actually sent me the beta version of their latest firmware which I have updated to both devices, that did not solve the problem but seems to improve the RAM usage from high 80s% to between mid 60s to mid 70s%.

tmster

Reaction score
Guys, can i check for M1 digital voice, will i be connecting my home phone to the ONT or router? Thanks.

Vorks

Reaction score
hi folks - like to check with you all, what is the typical wifi speed?

I am on the 1gbps plan. I do speed test on my phone and I get around 500mbps. I called 1627, the hotline guy told me only LAN cable will get 1gbps, on wifi it is around 200mbps and 500mbps is very good already. Is this true?

I don't expect 1gbps on phone but was expecting at least around 700mbps.

On Asus AX55 with iphone 12

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi folks - like to check with you all, what is the typical wifi speed?

I am on the 1gbps plan. I do speed test on my phone and I get around 500mbps. I called 1627, the hotline guy told me only LAN cable will get 1gbps, on wifi it is around 200mbps and 500mbps is very good already. Is this true?

I don't expect 1gbps on phone but was expecting at least around 700mbps.

On Asus AX55 with iphone 12
Your router matters. My iPhone 11 wifi6 on ax88u, can hit >900mbps.

But seriously, no need this of speed on a single device at all.

comcrepe

Reaction score
The Self Help Service of the M1 Hotline very Easy to use. No need to wait to connect to the CS officer which is a headache.

Here are the steps to release the router or reset your connection
Call 1627 then press 2 then 2 then 5 then press 1 to confirm and key in your account number then key in your mobile phone which m1 will send u a SMS when the reset is done.
good to know. how long did it take for M1 to reset and send the SMS to you?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.