M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2.5G LAN port is useful if you have 2.5G capable NAS or PC (adapters are not expensive but 2.5G switch is still not that cheap).

As for FW, different AImesh Asus router will have different FW due to different CPU and other HW components used. I tend to believe RT-AX88U FW issues (especially for AImesh) is related to the fact it is using BCM49408, a less common model compared to the BCM4908 used by RT-AX86U and GT-AX11000 (and many other high end Wifi 6 routers). RT-AX88U is one of the first WiFi 6 router in the world so the solution may be less mature as well compared to others. But it is still not a bad router though.

If you go to different review sites you will see that RT-AX86U is deemed as one of the best AX routers out there.

Nvm, just saw the Singtel plan for the RT-AX86U, $64.90/ month….

I’m actually a MAC user, will the RT-AX88U works for me?

Note: There is a shop selling the RT-AX86U @ $489.99, is the price reasonable?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nvm, just saw the Singtel plan for the RT-AX86U, $64.90/ month….
I’m actually a MAC user, will the RT-AX88U works for me?
Note: There is a shop selling the RT-AX86U @ $489.99, is the price reasonable?

The S$64.9 SingTel 1+1 Gamer bundle plan is a dual 1Gbps plan with RT-AX86U free of charge. It is only for niche use cases. It is not that expensive compared to M1 and Starhub 2Gbps plan (actually they are both dual 1Gbps plan) considering the free RT-AX86U. Take note for this plan the ONR comes with one port bridged to use the full functions of the RT-AX86U.

For normal SingTel 1Gbps plan (at around S$39.90 per month) you can get RT-AX86U at S$17*24 month=S$408. But I will not recommend Singtel 1Gbps plan as an ISP because the recent policy change of not bridging the ONR and therefore the RT-AX86U functions will be crippled.

As for RT-AX86U pricing, it is hard to comment now with the component shortage and inflation now. I tend to think it is not really worth buying at the price but then again Asus is selling the much less capable RT-AX86S at a relatively crazy price of S$399 (no point buying).

All in all, you may still consider RT-AX88U from M1 1Gbps plan as it is still at a discount.

But you may want to get the 500Mbps plan and then get a RT-AX58U instead. Then you can add a RT-AX55 as mesh unit if the coverage of the RT-AX58U is not good enough.

izwhiccb

Reaction score
Change my mind:
M1 broadband plans are the best value for money because I just pay $29.90 / month for the 500mbps broadband (which is essentially enough) and I have a free landline number.

I have no idea why Singtel is voted the most popular broadband internet service provider...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M1 got ROG AX6000 at $13per month same as AX88U... which is better option?

Hmm, is this true?
Edit: it is indeed true. Both are at S$13 per month. Then for sure GT-AX6000 is much better deal than RT-AX88U.
https://www.m1.com.sg/home-broadband/devices/asus-rog-rapture-gt-ax6000https://www.m1.com.sg/home-broadband/devices/asus-rt-ax88u-wireless-router
Asus ROG GT-AX6000 retail price is at S$699 whereas RT-AX88U is only at S$499.
https://www.challenger.sg/biz-solut...-gaming-router0--0195553394567?h=MSwxLDAqNjk5https://www.challenger.sg/biz-solut...rt-wifi-router0--0192876032817?h=MSwxLDAqNDk5

SG SUPERMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Price wise maybe ROG AX6000 is newer hence more expensive.. I wonder specification wise is it better than AX88U?

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Price wise maybe ROG AX6000 is newer hence more expensive.. I wonder specification wise is it better than AX88U?
I just read it up online, seems like its using WIFI 6 instead of WIFI 6E. Would that be any concern?

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not at home now can’t test but I am eager to know this will work not.

Instead of ONT-router-switch

can I do it in this way?

ONT—via WAN switch —router

uncle_josh

Reaction score

can I do it in this way?

What is WAN?
WAN is the term that is used to refer all those technology and hardware which involves in connecting multiple network segments together. These network segments can be located far apart. WAN is the abbreviated form of Wild Area Network.

LAN (Local Area Network)

What do you want to achieve ?

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

can I do it in this way?

You can only pull 1 public IP address via DHCP from M1.

You can definitely connect it that way, but nothing else will be able to pull an IP address from M1, apart from your router.
That's to say, anything else connected to the WAN facing switch won't work, apart form your router, or whatever that managed to pull an IP address first from the ONT.

curo

Master Member
Reaction score
I can renew my contract. Currently using Zen wifi AC (CT8) for my home mesh.

I'm thinking should i upgrade to 2gbps get the GT-AX6000 (as main) with free RT-AX55 (as node) to upgrade my home wifi to wifi 6.

I know 2gbps is overkill but the deal from M1 is not bad. Else should i wait as officially contract end in Sep

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.