M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

bert64

Reaction score
Recently bought TP link AX20 router, i am with M1. I am trying to configure IPv6, Can someone help to share the IPV6 settings?

In the router options,

I see the IPv6 internet connec. types as

static IP
Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6)
PPPoE
6to4
pass thru

Get IPV6 address options
Auto
SLAAC
DHCPV6
non-address

prefix delegation options
enable
disable

I checked with M1 CC, they advised me not to enable IPV6. Does it mean M1 does not support native IPv6?

Thanks
M1 don't seem to train their customer support agents properly for IPv6, but they do fully support it at the network level.

You should set it to Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6), and with prefix delegation turned on.

ibrahim Noorali

Reaction score
M1 don't seem to train their customer support agents properly for IPv6, but they do fully support it at the network level.

You should set it to Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6), and with prefix delegation turned on.

Thanks a lot for the reply,

Weekly scheduled router reboot seems to disable the IPV6 configuration. Not sure why is this behavior.

Also, May i what should be the configuration settings for IPV6 LAN

Options available are DHCPV6, SLAAC+Stateless DHCP, SLAAC+RDNSS

Thanks

bert64

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply,

Weekly scheduled router reboot seems to disable the IPV6 configuration. Not sure why is this behavior.

Also, May i what should be the configuration settings for IPV6 LAN

Options available are DHCPV6, SLAAC+Stateless DHCP, SLAAC+RDNSS

Thanks
why a scheduled reboot? a router should be able to remain stable for months or years on end...

slaac+stateless or slaac+rdnss, it depends on your clients - everything supports slaac, not everything (eg android) supports dhcpv6.

Is it working correctly? are you getting addresses assigned to the router and your devices?

_zeph_

Reaction score
Would like to get some thoughts:
Currently, very satisfied with M1 fibre as all this while I'm getting 800-900mbps on speedtest.net and fast.com.
I run those tests regularly just before a Zoom call or Teams meeting where I'm sharing my screen.
But since beginning of this week, I keep getting 400-500mbps on my wired devices.
Anyone knows if there's any changes to the M1 network?
(Nothing has changed on my end)

Things I have done:
Rebooted ONT
Rebooted Asus AC Router
Direct ETH connection from PC to ONT via ethernet cable(still getting 400-500mbps)

Thanks in advance.

bert64

Reaction score
Currently, very satisfied with M1 fibre as all this while I'm getting 800-900mbps on speedtest.net and fast.com.
I run those tests regularly just before a Zoom call or Teams meeting where I'm sharing my screen.
But since beginning of this week, I keep getting 400-500mbps on my wired devices.

Things I have done:
Rebooted ONT
Rebooted Asus AC Router
Direct ETH connection from PC to ONT via ethernet cable(still getting 400-500mbps)

Thanks in advance.
No reason why that would happen unless you've switched to a 500mbps plan. Suggest you call and see if they can do anything.

ibrahim Noorali

Reaction score
why a scheduled reboot? a router should be able to remain stable for months or years on end...

slaac+stateless or slaac+rdnss, it depends on your clients - everything supports slaac, not everything (eg android) supports dhcpv6.

Is it working correctly? are you getting addresses assigned to the router and your devices?

scheduled a weekly just to clear memory to be stable.

My andriod tv box was having latency while i choose SLAAC+Stateless DHCP or DHCPV6

Now i have chosen SLAAC+RNDSS

Looks okay, i will monitor and update here later

Thanks for the help

bert64

Reaction score
scheduled a weekly just to clear memory to be stable.

My andriod tv box was having latency while i choose SLAAC+Stateless DHCP or DHCPV6

Now i have chosen SLAAC+RNDSS

Looks okay, i will monitor and update here later

Thanks for the help
Strange...
Android does not support DHCPv6, so it should have ignored those settings.
It does support SLAAC+RDNSS, so it should be using IPv6 now that you've adjusted the settings.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Things I have done:
Rebooted ONT
Rebooted Asus AC Router

Thanks in advance.
Actually even at this sorts of speed, you won't experience any lag in your Zoom/ telepresence meetings. No reason to keep testing the speed regularly.

Having said that, you should monitor if this is consistently slow. I suspect with more people working from home now, ISP may throttle bandwidth to keep it stable for all their users. Anyway, no harm if you just give M1 a buzz and check what's going on.

eauyong

Reaction score
Tampines M1 no stock of AX55 waiting ... :rolleyes:
Just got the AX55 Yesterday.
Today set it up as Wifi media bridge mode (wireless backhaul) and its performance is quite good at Ping 3ms, DL 606.09 Mbps and UL 627.37 Mbps. :)

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
the wireless backhaul runs on the 3rd band for triband devices
dual band, i dunno how the backhaul works if you utilise both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band..... maybe no backhaul
so far based on what i have read in here and other threads

so its not ANY Asus routers

if i am not wrong
I am on a m1 500mbps plan. I used to mesh Asus AX88U with AC88U. I ran speed test and my furthest room (near the 2nd node) clocks about 200mbps up and down. I tried with Asus XT8 and the same location clocks 450mbps up and down. Looking at numbers, it does looks impressive but in reality (using zoom, teams, streaming movies), I don’t see huge improvements. I usually have 5 devices connected to my node. Mobile phone, laptop, iPad, projector with Android function and Apple HomePod. Even with the 200mbs, don’t really encounter any issue. I think stability is more important than speed

eauyong

Reaction score
Wired = Ping:2ms, DL950.12Mbps, UL:942.20Mbps
Wireless backhaul (as above) = Ping:3ms, DL:606.09 Mbps, UL:627.37 Mbps.

Though the above loss seems a bit big but in usage it is a very solid snappy experience and no DC so far.
Result 950.12 - 606.09 = 344.03Mbps loss.

eauyong

Reaction score
Speedtest%2BAsus%2Brouter%2BRT-AX55%2Bas%2Bmedia%2Bbridge%2B22-June%2B2021.jpg

eauyong

Reaction score
The 2ms ping local server (Starhub) achieved was from Main router connected to Computer by wire.
The 3ms ping local server (Starhub) was achieved from Main router (AC speed 1,733.2Mbps 5Ghz band 149, 80Mhz width) to AX55 onwards to Computer by wire.

Main router --> wire --> Computer = 2ms ping
Main router --> wifi --> Second router --> Computer = 3ms. ping
Both server is local Starhub Mobile.

FYI, stated in M1 contract:-
Fibre 1Gbps
Theoretical download speed of 1000Mbps and upload speed of 1000Mbps.
The Typical Speed Range is 875.5 - 902.1Mbps. These refer to the range of download speeds that users can experience 80% of the time based on the specific test conditions and parameters which are stipulated in m1.com.sg/HBBspeeds. Testing Time Frame: January to March 2021.

bert64

Reaction score
The 2ms ping local server (Starhub) achieved was from Main router connected to Computer by wire.
The 3ms ping local server (Starhub) was achieved from Main router (AC speed 1,733.2Mbps 5Ghz band 149, 80Mhz width) to AX55 onwards to Computer by wire.

Main router --> wire --> Computer = 2ms ping
Main router --> wifi --> Second router --> Computer = 3ms. ping
Both server is local Starhub Mobile.

FYI, stated in M1 contract:-
Fibre 1Gbps
Theoretical download speed of 1000Mbps and upload speed of 1000Mbps.
The Typical Speed Range is 875.5 - 902.1Mbps. These refer to the range of download speeds that users can experience 80% of the time based on the specific test conditions and parameters which are stipulated in m1.com.sg/HBBspeeds. Testing Time Frame: January to March 2021.
That's actually VERY misleading... If you look at the URLs they give, at least two of the "foreign" sites (knoppix.nl and dkm.cz) actually redirect you to a local mirror site hosted by M1 themselves:

* Trying 145.220.21.40:80...
* Connected to ftp.knoppix.nl (145.220.21.40) port 80 (#0)
> GET /os/Linux/distr/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V9.1DVD-2021-01-25-EN.iso HTTP/1.1
> Host: ftp.knoppix.nl
> User-Agent: curl/7.72.0
> Accept: */*
>
* Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 302 Found
< Cache-Control: no-cache
< Connection: close
< Location: http://103.1.138.141/ftp.knoppix.nl/os/Linux/distr/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V9.1DVD-2021-01-25-EN.iso
< Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
< X-verification: 7223575851
<
* Closing connection 0

While i can see why they would do this from a user experience point of view, using such a setup as an indication of "speed from foreign sites" is extremely misleading. The fact that these sites are mirrored and downloading from them is redirected to the local mirror instead of from the actual foreign site is not disclosed in the above linked site.

If you download over SSL (most of these mirror sites also support SSL), or using IPv6 then no redirection occurs and you receive a transfer directly from the actual site, as expected it's considerably slower.

durexxx

Reaction score
Hi guys, gonna sign M1 fibre after looking around all the ISP. Their current online promo $39.90 Free 3 months if top up $13 for the Asus AX88U. I’m staying in a 2 bedroom condo, does it worth while for this router or I should just stick to the free AX55? Just need some opinions. $13 kinda okay for 24 months as compare buying RRP outside which easily cost $400+

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, gonna sign M1 fibre after looking around all the ISP. Their current online promo $39.90 Free 3 months if top up $13 for the Asus AX88U. I’m staying in a 2 bedroom condo, does it worth while for this router or I should just stick to the free AX55? Just need some opinions. $13 kinda okay for 24 months as compare buying RRP outside which easily cost $400+

If just for cost, I will suggest yoy to downgrade to 500Mbps and then buy RT-AX58U/AX86U/88U out side. Recently there was a super good offer for RT-AX86U Gundam edition (S$312) from Courts but it has expired.

RT-AX88U often gets offer price as well below S$400 (as low as S$320).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
strange my ping is 6ms through wireless. Not sure why. Never hit 2ms

If you have mesh setup, make sure you test with the main node and not the mesh node. Then test again. You should get 2ms to 4ms with your good AX router and good AX client, even with wireless.

On the other hand, 6ms is not bad if you get it consistently.

Ref: my speedtest results with RT-AX82U using different AC/AX wireless clients, ping is between 2ms to 5ms.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/asus-rt-ax86u-and-rt-ax82u.6315347/page-51

durexxx

Reaction score
I guess it’s gonna be more than sufficient, cos mostly just streaming Netflix and YouTube. No gaming or anything, I do have concern of reliability cos I’ve been singtel user for a long time. Is it bad? Thanks Xiaofan, I’ve got a Huawei AX3 pro recommendation from you many months back in another thread. Probably should get another Huawei AX3 pro. Lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.