M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, gonna sign M1 fibre after looking around all the ISP. Their current online promo $39.90 Free 3 months if top up $13 for the Asus AX88U. I’m staying in a 2 bedroom condo, does it worth while for this router or I should just stick to the free AX55? Just need some opinions. $13 kinda okay for 24 months as compare buying RRP outside which easily cost $400+
The router is very good in value if you need it. But for a 2 bedroom apartment, I think it may be overkill. I would say the free router, AX55, may be good enough.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s gonna be more than sufficient, cos mostly just streaming Netflix and YouTube. No gaming or anything, I do have concern of reliability cos I’ve been singtel user for a long time. Is it bad? Thanks Xiaofan, I’ve got a Huawei AX3 pro recommendation from you many months back in another thread. Probably should get another Huawei AX3 pro. Lol

Yes, if one AX3 Pro is not good enough, get another one to form a mesh.

I am sticking to Singtel myself as I do not need gaming and I value stability over performance.

But for value, M1 is the best value, especially 500Mbps.

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
...Switching my 4 years old StarHub 1Gbps BB.

Today is my 1st day with M1 1Gbps (RT-AX55) BB.

So far so good. :whistle:

qWuxmkb.jpg

SSqVyPP.jpg

Last edited:

xiangzeng

Reaction score
Mine is 1 gbps broadband by M1, I got 90 to 95 mbps last week until I called M1 technical help who told me to unplug the incoming ethernet cable to the incoming port of the router and then connected back to the same port. Then I checked the speed back to 942 mbps and had been stable to be above 900 mbps. Maybe you can try this method, else call to 1627 home broadband help line to ask for help.

TheSnail

Reaction score
M1 have been, and played with the RT-AX55 settings the last hour, inc. needing a reset.

Anyway IPv6 says I'm supported, so seems to be okay. ICMP - Not Tested and Hostname - Servfail.

Additionally my score is 12/20 with three recommendations:

Reconfigure your firewall

Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

Upgrade your web browser

Your web browser doesn't seem to be able to fall back to the other protocol when its default is advertised by a website but happens to be unavailable. Recent versions of Firefox or Chrome can deal with this transparently.

Fix your DNS configuration

The DNS servers that should associate your IPv6 address with a host name are either misconfigured or not responding, this could lead to random latencies when trying to contact many Internet services. DNS servers are usually managed at the ISP level.

I don't really want to change Browser from Edge but how to I fix the other two? Thanks.

Finally, from two laptop Speedtests I get DL of 564 and 518 against UL of 474 and 299 respectively. I believe my laptop is IPv6. My phone only gave me DL64 and UL69

bert64

Reaction score
M1 have been, and played with the RT-AX55 settings the last hour, inc. needing a reset.

Anyway IPv6 says I'm supported, so seems to be okay. ICMP - Not Tested and Hostname - Servfail.

Additionally my score is 12/20 with three recommendations:

Reconfigure your firewall

Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

Upgrade your web browser

Your web browser doesn't seem to be able to fall back to the other protocol when its default is advertised by a website but happens to be unavailable. Recent versions of Firefox or Chrome can deal with this transparently.

Fix your DNS configuration

The DNS servers that should associate your IPv6 address with a host name are either misconfigured or not responding, this could lead to random latencies when trying to contact many Internet services. DNS servers are usually managed at the ISP level.

I don't really want to change Browser from Edge but how to I fix the other two? Thanks.

Finally, from two laptop Speedtests I get DL of 564 and 518 against UL of 474 and 299 respectively. I believe my laptop is IPv6. My phone only gave me DL64 and UL69

DNS - this refers to reverse DNS, you cannot do anything about this and M1 would need to set reverse DNS entries or delegate control. On the other hand, reverse DNS is not really used by anything other than IRC and SMTP (assuming you are running a mail server which sends mail directly to other servers) these days so it's unlikely to cause you much concern.

ICMP could be a problem if you are filtering certain ICMP responses, for instance if you try to send a packet which is too large the target host should respond with an ICMPv6 "packet too big" response, which will then cause your host to send smaller packets, for example:

typhoon ~ # ping6 -s 1400 mtu1280.test-ipv6.com PING mtu1280.test-ipv6.com(mtu1280.vm3.test-ipv6.com (2001:470:1:18::3:1280)) 1400 data bytes From mtu1280.vm3.test-ipv6.com (2001:470:1:18::3:1280) icmp_seq=1 [B]Packet too big: mtu=1280[/B] From mtu1280.vm3.test-ipv6.com (2001:470:1:18::3:1280) icmp_seq=2 Packet too big: mtu=1280 ^C --- mtu1280.test-ipv6.com ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, +2 errors, 100% packet loss, time 2003ms

With the above command I try to send a 1400 byte ping packet to mtu1280.test-ipv6.com which only supports a maximum packet size of 1280, the host responds saying the packet is too big. If you are blocking ICMPv6 responses, you will not get this error and your system won't know why the packets were dropped.

That said, the response you got was "ICMP not tested" which means it couldnt test, so you may be fine. It's hard to check this from a browser anyway, might be easier to do the ping test yourself.

Your browser should default to IPv6 when available, and fall back to IPv4 if it can't reach IPv6 for whatever reason. Edge usually does this correctly, so i'm not sure what might be happening in your case.

Your phone almost certainly also supports IPv6 unless it's an extremely old model... The difference in performance is likely down to wifi setup rather than IPv6.
IPv6 is more efficient and slightly faster all else being equal, but it wouldn't account for a 10-fold difference unless something else is very broken.

Also not all speedtest sites actually support IPv6 in which case it would make no difference whatsoever as the site would fall back to using IPv4.

Last edited:

TheSnail

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I read that as, nothing else to do?

In the end I am hoping for better overseas speeds.

bert64

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I read that as, nothing else to do?

In the end I am hoping for better overseas speeds.

Nothing you can do about the reverse DNS, and you probably have no need to do anything.
The ICMP i would check that ICMP responses are coming through ok, otherwise you might see unexpected problems with path mtu discovery

Overseas speeds are going to depend on the destination and what you're doing, sometimes IPv6 takes a different route which may be faster or slower. For instance my route to servers i have hosted with OVH in France is considerably quicker over IPv6.
Some sites are not dual stack, so there would be no difference.

If you're downloading from far away servers with significant latency, you might find tcp window scaling options make a big difference.

TheSnail

Reaction score
For the MTU test, try going to:

https://mtu1280.test-ipv6.com
If you are unable to receive ICMPv6 responses, that site will stall or fail.

Thank You!

That site came up with GREEN al over the place inc. "Other IPv6 Sites" tab. Readiness score came 10/10 so what I have to do now is play around with my new and old TV-Box. I made a mistake when buying a newer one, realising later the switch inside is only 100MB against my only one that is 1GB so I might switch back.

Apex

Reaction score

elanwy

Reaction score
M1 download speed has been dropping to 50Mbps at night. Does this mean I need to search for a new ISP? I guess upgrading to 1Gbps will not help?

bert64

Reaction score
M1 download speed has been dropping to 50Mbps at night. Does this mean I need to search for a new ISP? I guess upgrading to 1Gbps will not help?
Sounds like a fault, either with your own equipment or with the line. I would investigate the cause and try to remedy it.
Where exactly are you downloading from, how are you testing it, and what speed do you get during the day?

ruffruff

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi bros & sises,

I recently move apartment, but still within Yishun, and had relocated my M1 Fibre 1Gbps service along.

My network setup:
M1 Huawei white box to Asus AC86U (main router)
AC86U connects to AC88U (wired) and a second AC86U to form AI Mesh.

In my old apartment, my gaming PC was connected to my main router directly via LAN cable, the speedtest usually hover between 800-900 mbps. Speed was good and I had no issue with gaming or video calls.

In my new apartment now, the same setup, but speedtest through my gaming PC is 300 - 400 mbps. I tried connecting directly to the main router LAN port via LAN cable (previous was through a switch) or tried using a laptop with LAN connection to another LAN port on the main router but the test results are the same.

M1 had sent their technician over and replace the Huawei white box, in their test, they said that issue is with my Asus router and speed test through the huawei box directly gives a 800+ mbps results. I tried switching the 2 AC86U over but the results are identical. Haven't tried to switch the AC88U over as main router but that is connected to my NAS, so a bit reluctant to try that.

Does anyone know what else can I try to locate the issue or improve my speed? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

eauyong

Reaction score
Hi bros & sises,

I recently move apartment, but still within Yishun, and had relocated my M1 Fibre 1Gbps service along.

My network setup:

In my old apartment, my gaming PC was connected to my main router directly via LAN cable, the speedtest usually hover between 800-900 mbps. Speed was good and I had no issue with gaming or video calls.

In my new apartment now, the same setup, but speedtest through my gaming PC is 300 - 400 mbps. I tried connecting directly to the main router LAN port via LAN cable (previous was through a switch) or tried using a laptop with LAN connection to another LAN port on the main router but the test results are the same.

M1 had sent their technician over and replace the Huawei white box, in their test, they said that issue is with my Asus router and speed test through the huawei box directly gives a 800+ mbps results. I tried switching the 2 AC86U over but the results are identical. Haven't tried to switch the AC88U over as main router but that is connected to my NAS, so a bit reluctant to try that.

Does anyone know what else can I try to locate the issue or improve my speed? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.
Try different Lan patch cables.

bert64

Reaction score
Hi bros & sises,

My network setup:

Thanks in advance.
Check the router settings... Aggressive QoS settings or large numbers of rules can overload the router. Most of these devices are specced to just barely reach 1gbps under ideal circumstances, as soon as you add any extra complexity you'll drag the performance down.

ruffruff

Master Member
Reaction score
Try different Lan patch cables.
Yup, tried that with different cat 5e and cat 6 cables. I rule out cable issues (within the wall) by testing using direct cable connection to the router.

Check the router settings... Aggressive QoS settings or large numbers of rules can overload the router. Most of these devices are specced to just barely reach 1gbps under ideal circumstances, as soon as you add any extra complexity you'll drag the performance down.
Yes, I found that the adaptive QOS and AI Protection does affect the speed, but these were the exact same settings that I had in my previous location and speed was at 800+ mbps then. If I turn off all additional rules or protection settings, the speed back then was 900+ mbps.
However, in my current location, I am getting only half the usual speed. With all settings and protection off, it climbs to 600+ mbps only. :(

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a fault, either with your own equipment or with the line. I would investigate the cause and try to remedy it.
Where exactly are you downloading from, how are you testing it, and what speed do you get during the day?

I occasionally noticing the same behaviour

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.