M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the advice... Now court selling the AX86U at $332 with the July promo and M1 with sign up - purchase with purchase is $378 for the AX88U

At this price I will sure go for the RT-AX86U.

bert64

Reaction score
I'm on the M1 500 Mbps plan and I'm only able to hit 140Mbps speed on LAN connection directly to the router RT-AC1200G+. Any ideas why?

Could be many things... Faulty cable, faulty router, faulty ont, lowend hardware, misconfigured or broken drivers etc...

How are you measuring? What client device are you using and with what ethernet card (ie built in, usb to ethernet dongle etc)?

Beetho Ng

Reaction score
Like to check with you guys here, I have been using M1 1 Gb plan for past 3 contract. Every time I run speed test connect via LAN to my router, I get 800-900 mbps 50% of the time and other time I get 500-600mbps. is this normal? while it doesn’t affect my usage, I just want to find if there is any problem with the ont because I have since changed a few router/lan cable along the years and the result is the same.

carbonaddictxd

Reaction score
Could be many things... Faulty cable, faulty router, faulty ont, lowend hardware, misconfigured or broken drivers etc...

How are you measuring? What client device are you using and with what ethernet card (ie built in, usb to ethernet dongle etc)?
I'm using the following laptop to measure, its spec only say Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller 10/100/1000:
https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c06386690
I've tried different cable and verified they are 1 Gbps capable (by checking the network status, correct me if this is inaccurate). Router's setting page also shows WAN and LAN connection are 1Gbps.

My WiFi Speedtest (using various phones and laptops) is also capped at around the same speed, which makes me suspect there's something wrong with the ONT actually..

bert64

Reaction score
I'm using the following laptop to measure, its spec only say Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller 10/100/1000:
https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c06386690
I've tried different cable and verified they are 1 Gbps capable (by checking the network status, correct me if this is inaccurate). Router's setting page also shows WAN and LAN connection are 1Gbps.

My WiFi Speedtest (using various phones and laptops) is also capped at around the same speed, which makes me suspect there's something wrong with the ONT actually..
How about the router - are there any settings on the router which might be affecting performance - eg aggressive qos, or large numbers of firewall rules etc?

elanwy

Reaction score
I'm on the M1 500 Mbps plan and I'm only able to hit 140Mbps speed on LAN connection directly to the router RT-AC1200G+. Any ideas why?
M1 technician visited my place after speed complaint to change ONT. You can try that to see if it helps.

I'm having some bandwidth issues with 500Mbps connection. Does anyone know how to get them to let me upgrade to 1Gbps for the remainder of my contract without signing new contract?

babyk88

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the advice... Now court selling the AX86U at $332 with the July promo and M1 with sign up - purchase with purchase is $378 for the AX88U
I suggest to go for Unifi solution and deploy AP

with less than 250$ you can set up wifi 6 coverage and system is much better than Asus WRT

carbonaddictxd

Reaction score
How about the router - are there any settings on the router which might be affecting performance - eg aggressive qos, or large numbers of firewall rules etc?
Damn that actually helped to improve the results to 220-250Mbps. I played around with QoS previously and forgot about it...

M1 technician visited my place after speed complaint to change ONT. You can try that to see if it helps.

I'm having some bandwidth issues with 500Mbps connection. Does anyone know how to get them to let me upgrade to 1Gbps for the remainder of my contract without signing new contract?
Thanks. Will consider doing that!

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Native Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6)
Ensure that prefix delegation (DHCPv6-PD) is enabled
Prefix size will need to be set to 64 if such an option is available

Once enabled your clients should get an ipv6 address automatically, you can go to http://www.test-ipv6.com to verify and also check the network settings depending on the device type.

M1 should really train their techs properly so this gets enabled by default...
Can't find Native Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6) for my Asus router.

The Asus FAQ recommends to use "passthrough" for WAN Auto IP connections ?
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/113990/

bert64

Reaction score
Can't find Native Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6) for my Asus router.

The Asus FAQ recommends to use "passthrough" for WAN Auto IP connections ?
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/113990/
The option is just called "native" on that FAQ, and it highlights a screenshot where the DHCP-PD option is also enabled. That's what you want.

I suspect that passthrough probably won't work, so the FAQ is a little misleading.

Try both and see what happens?

Edit:
Passthrough should forward IPv6 traffic direct without routing it, you would use this if you have another router so it will effectively bridge the v6 devices and double NAT v4 devices. It might work with M1 but it isn't what you want since it will put all of your devices directly on the interconnect network.

With native and DHCP-PD your router will take a single address on the interconnect network, and then allocate a block of routable addresses for your own network.
For me, the router gets an address 2401:7400:c002::XXXX for the interconnect, and then i'm assigned a block 2401:7400:c802:XXXX::/64 for my own devices behind the router. I believe the c002/c802 parts will depend on what area of the country you're in and thus which POP you're connected to.

Last edited:

orcgirl

Reaction score
hi guys, my router broke down so i have the option to choose either TP-Link Archer AX73 or ASUS RT-AX55 which one do you recommend? I actually have a spare router ASUS RT-AC68U is that better or worse than the 2 above?

jimmykim_83

Reaction score
Hi bros, i m on M1 1Gpbs broadband package,
i tested my wifi speed by laptop, ip11pro, tablet, average wifi speed only max 350 Mbps, it is normal?

router TP-link AC4000, tested on 5Ghz.

Land2005

Reaction score
If your M1 contract going to due, wait till expiry and call 1627 mention unable to re-contract thru their website. They will divert you to customer service and will send you sms link to a webpage with limited time offer. For 24 months re-contract free 2 months subscription and it's better than VIU offer.

yangken

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my current setup:
1. I had all my rooms connected via RJ45 to DB (wired backhaul)
2. In DB, M1 ONT -> EdgeRouter X
3. Ent1 from EdgeRouter X -> LAN in Living Room
4. Living Room -> Asus RT-AX82U (setup as Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode)

Questions
1. If I want to connect another Asus Router in one of my bedroom to the LAN, should I setup the router as another AP with the same SSID? Or should I set as AiMesh Node?

Please advise.

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
For those with WAN ip 138.75.55.X, can you access to Lazada.sg from Desktop browser?
Im not able to for the passed 2 ~3 days ... Lazada Apps no problem though ....

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I assume you are using Asus router.

Try this :

1. Go to : LAN => Switch Control => NAT Acceleration
2. Set it to "Auto"

Do feedback whether does this works for you.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am curious of the contention ratio for M1 home broadband? aha

This needs some industry insider to answer.

I searched the forum and only mentioning is from miloaisdino, he mentioned among the big three, M1 is the worst.

I think that makes sense since it is the smallest and "poorest" among the three, so it probably spent the least in terms infrastructure investment.

But then in real world, M1 seems to be pretty okay and I will recommend M1 Fibre Internet over SingTel (ONR, poor routing) and Starhub (okay in general, but not that great customer service). Take note I do not use M1 myself but SingTel 1Gbps (ONT user) and Starhub 500Mbps.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am having pretty good performance with M1. Can hit 900mbps+ on most days, and this is for both up and downlinks each. some or most isps limit uploads to half the full speed only, eg. 500mbps for a 1gbps plan.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am having pretty good performance with M1. Can hit 900mbps+ on most days, and this is for both up and downlinks each. some or most isps limit uploads to half the full speed only, eg. 500mbps for a 1gbps plan.
Only one ISP limit the upload speed to 500Mbps for the 1Gbps plan, that is MyReplublic.

And with wired connection, all the ISPs can hit 1Gbps up/down (1Gbps down, 500Mbps down for MyRepublic) for the 1Gbps plan.

So M1 is nothing special here.

Rather some of the the benefits are as followed.
1) Native IPv6 support, only Starhub has that. Singtel is using the lousy 6rd IPv6. MyRepublic, Viewquest and Whizcomms do not offer that.

2) Decent international routing performance, Singtel is usually worst among the big three.

3) Relatively okay customer service, compared to Singtel and Starhub

4) Decent bundled wireless router (not a main advantage for power users, but may be important to novice users). RT-AX55 is the best free bundled router among the big three for the 1Gbps plan. Singtel Mesh router is okay but so-so. Starhub Nokia Beacon 1 is pretty bad.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.