M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This needs some industry insider to answer.

I searched the forum and only mentioning is from miloaisdino, he mentioned among the big three, M1 is the worst.

I think that makes sense since it is the smallest and "poorest" among the three, so it probably spent the least in terms infrastructure investment.

But then in real world, M1 seems to be pretty okay and I will recommend M1 Fibre Internet over SingTel (ONR, poor routing) and Starhub (okay in general, but not that great customer service). Take note I do not use M1 myself but SingTel 1Gbps (ONT user) and Starhub 500Mbps.
I am also keen to see if any industry insider are willing to share on the contention ratio among the 3 main ISP in SG and that will be the one of the main crucial information to make a decision with.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also keen to see if any industry insider are willing to share on the contention ratio among the 3 main ISP in SG and that will be the one of the main crucial information to make a decision with.

Interesting, what is the reason that your decision has to do with the contention ratio if it is for personal use?

If for business, then it is probably different story.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
somehow it casacade down to the committed international speed and committed local speed for our decision making :s12: thou that this might be a good factor to consider

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
somehow it casacade down to the committed international speed and committed local speed for our decision making :s12: thou that this might be a good factor to consider

Ah I see. In that case, M1 is probably not the best. Starhub may be more consistent in this aspect.

If you do not care for IPv6, maybe Viewquest is the best in that aspect (but not so stable), MyRepublic is also not bad if you do not care for upload speed limit.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably trade secret.. ;)

bert64

Reaction score
Probably trade secret.. ;)
The GPON technology allows for 2.4/1.2gb to be split between 128 users by design, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.984

Wether ISPs fully load their OLTs is another matter. It's also going to depend where you are, and who you're sharing a port with. If your neighbours are heavy downloaders vs light users. But that's just for the last mile... Also have to consider the upstream links, you can see peering relationships using a BGP looking glass, eg: https://bgp.he.net/AS4773 but that just shows you who they peer with not the capacity, usage or purpose (peering vs transit) of the lines.

You can also see port speed and peering policy on SGIX: https://www.sgix.sg/peering-participants/
Other IX may have similar pages.

carbonaddictxd

Reaction score
I assume you are using Asus router.

Try this :

1. Go to : LAN => Switch Control => NAT Acceleration
2. Set it to "Auto"

Do feedback whether does this works for you.
Yes, I've set that to auto previously.

Finally able to hit 500Mbps on speedtest, guess previously there were other factors affecting its speed.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The GPON technology allows for 2.4/1.2gb to be split between 128 users by design, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.984

Wether ISPs fully load their OLTs is another matter. It's also going to depend where you are, and who you're sharing a port with. If your neighbours are heavy downloaders vs light users. But that's just for the last mile... Also have to consider the upstream links, you can see peering relationships using a BGP looking glass, eg: https://bgp.he.net/AS4773 but that just shows you who they peer with not the capacity, usage or purpose (peering vs transit) of the lines.

You can also see port speed and peering policy on SGIX: https://www.sgix.sg/peering-participants/
Other IX may have similar pages.
Seem like is one line split by max 128 users haha.. I guess is true if u kenna a few heavy downloaded in your area you are gone Liao with your line getting saturated.. that can explain why some isp might load their contention ratio with subscribers

elanwy

Reaction score
Anyone know if existing user can recontract and get free router? I am told cannot, which is very stupid since I will need to terminate my existing account and sign up new one using another name. Customer service says no more promo for existing user after last month's flash deal.

Kitaro9202

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone use m broadband to play mobile legend?

Mine ping sometime drop till 200ms cannot continue leh

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got the time to set up my TP Link's Archer AX73

Working like a charm currently with Speedtest on both loads scoring a whopping 95x Mbps throughout various local networks..

Only drawback from what I see is the lack of firmware upgrades which is currently still stuck since "29 Sept 2020" lol..

Last edited:

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so...do i still need to call M1 support if i want to change router?

or must i off my old router and wait for a day or two before powering on my new router?

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

or must i off my old router and wait for a day or two before powering on my new router?

Yes change router need to inform M1.

I was told if you release the WAN IP before swap router don't need to call (i have not tested this yet)

elanwy

Reaction score

Need to call. Talk to CS or use the auto release IP function on the hotline. Can't be done ourselves nowadays.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need to call. Talk to CS or use the auto release IP function on the hotline. Can't be done ourselves nowadays.
Yes change router need to inform M1.

I was told if you release the WAN IP before swap router don't need to call (i have not tested this yet)

i have an idea though...since some routers like Asus allow Mac address cloning, couldn't we use that feature to clone the mac address of the old router on the new router? I assumed the WAN ip reservation is done via Mac address?

I have a spare Asus router i wanted to change as 5Ghz radio of my current one is wonky to the point that i had to disable it (2.4Ghz still works fine).

But i am too lazy to call and deal with phone support..lmao.

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have an idea though...since some routers like Asus allow Mac address cloning, couldn't we use that feature to clone the mac address of the old router on the new router? I assumed the WAN ip reservation is done via Mac address?

I have a spare Asus router i wanted to change as 5Ghz radio of my current one is wonky to the point that i had to disable it (2.4Ghz still works fine).

But i am too lazy to call and deal with phone support..lmao.
Yes clone MAC address work.

Otherwise u M1 automated service to reset the line as listed below

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...nyone-bought-and-tried.6264048/post-133261676

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.