M2 Mac mini

kelvinsin

Reaction score
I’m in dilemma to go m2 with 16gb or 512gb upgraded. Can’t have both of two together due to cost concern. Both option also have reviews said can help on ram paging and slow ssd issue on base model.
There is feedback above with high ram consumption on multi chrome/safari tabs opening.
Planning to use parallel to work in mini environment with windows. May getting external m2 ssd but the thunderbolt 4 casing cost is killing.

Would like to have advise which option is more worth to upgrade, ram or ssd?

mrfighting27

Reaction score
I just bought m2 pro 1TB. thing is fast.

My issue came when I tried using a USB-C - DP port for my dell u2717d monitor. It doesn't work, it says something like USB 2 billboard. Any idea what is happening? Cable works on Samsung phone dex, and even m1 iPad Pro.
HDMI works fine but was wondering if this would happen for my 2nd monitor.

Also anyone here uses DIY SSD with NVME stick? Any recommendations?

junk610

Reaction score
THIS JUST IN: Latest Apple Display!

82-B79-A4-C-8190-40-BD-BFC2-A958-D2-F1-DB8-F.jpg

😆😆😆

Parka

Master Member
Reaction score
I just bought m2 pro 1TB. thing is fast.

My issue came when I tried using a USB-C - DP port for my dell u2717d monitor. It doesn't work, it says something like USB 2 billboard. Any idea what is happening? Cable works on Samsung phone dex, and even m1 iPad Pro.
HDMI works fine but was wondering if this would happen for my 2nd monitor.

Also anyone here uses DIY SSD with NVME stick? Any recommendations?
Orico NVME enclosures are good.

Get at least 10Gbps which in real world will probably give you around 800MB/s read write speeds. That's fast enough to edit 4K 60FPS video

https://www.parkablogs.com/content/review-orico-10gbps-m2-nvme-enclosure-fv35c3-g2
If you need faster, then consider USB 4 enclosures which are more expensive.

Also note that NVME SSDs recommended by the enclosure maker. There may be performance differences even if the NVMe are from the same generation across different brands.

Parka

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m in dilemma to go m2 with 16gb or 512gb upgraded. Can’t have both of two together due to cost concern. Both option also have reviews said can help on ram paging and slow ssd issue on base model.
There is feedback above with high ram consumption on multi chrome/safari tabs opening.
Planning to use parallel to work in mini environment with windows. May getting external m2 ssd but the thunderbolt 4 casing cost is killing.

Would like to have advise which option is more worth to upgrade, ram or ssd?

Upgrade RAM because that's not something you can upgrade later.

For storage, you can connect an external SSD, e.g. Samsung T7 2TB is just less than S$230.

mrfighting27

Reaction score
Orico NVME enclosures are good.

Get at least 10Gbps which in real world will probably give you around 800MB/s read write speeds. That's fast enough to edit 4K 60FPS video

https://www.parkablogs.com/content/review-orico-10gbps-m2-nvme-enclosure-fv35c3-g2
If you need faster, then consider USB 4 enclosures which are more expensive.

Also note that NVME SSDs recommended by the enclosure maker. There may be performance differences even if the NVMe are from the same generation across different brands.
Thanks for the tip. I see orico recommend SN750. Which nvme model do you use?

kelvinsin

Reaction score
Is anyone can help check apple education offer has m2 16gb ram 256gb ssd? Seems not in the list.

Singrish

Reaction score
Upgrade RAM because that's not something you can upgrade later.

For storage, you can connect an external SSD, e.g. Samsung T7 2TB is just less than S$230.
But in terms of speed, internal SSD is faster than external right?

And if its for storing photos & videos on the external SSD ok lah but if installing software and your internal SSD runs out of space that’s still an issue.

shin89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

And if its for storing photos & videos on the external SSD ok lah but if installing software and your internal SSD runs out of space that’s still an issue.
You are comparing between performance and cost. If budget is not an issue, you should max out the storage on your Mac.

Singrish

Reaction score
You are comparing between performance and cost. If budget is not an issue, you should max out the storage on your Mac.
Not just about performance but also about running out of space for installing apps on internal SSD. I guess one should then plan on saving internal SSD only for the OS & apps and dumping docs, pics, vids & MP3 on the external SSD.

Singrish

Reaction score
THIS JUST IN: Latest Apple Display!

82-B79-A4-C-8190-40-BD-BFC2-A958-D2-F1-DB8-F.jpg

😆😆😆
This LG still on sale meh? Anyway i recall price was quite close to apple display. Dunno about the upcoming 5K samsung but for me if it exceeds $1k i might as well top up a bit and get apple display.

Initially thought could spend under $700 for Dell S2722QC which seems to be a decent monitor for someone NOT into gaming, photography & the like. But turned out there’s the issue of HiDPI scaling on macOS so…… back to the drawing board.

Yes i know of BetterDisplay but different folks seem to have different luck with it. Not sure of its due to the settings or the monitor or both. Some say its great & solves all scaling issues. Others had less luck.

trd2970

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My alternative solution for a minimalist look...

...mounted the Mac Mini + external SSD + Time Machine + DAC + everything else under the desk!
You know what they say...out of sight, out of mind.
This way I see nothing on my desk except monitor + speakers ;)

IMG-6774.png
How’s the heat dissipation? The plastic/rubber paddings may obstruct

kelvinsin

Reaction score
Sure, results below. For anyone with results contrary to mine, kindly post your results, thanks.

1. Fresh reboot + Avast Security running in background
1-Bootup-Avast.png

2. Avast Security + BetterDisplay
2-Better-Display.png

3. Avast Security + BetterDisplay + Spotify
3-Spotify.png

4. Avast Security + BetterDisplay + Spotify + Safari (app opened only, no websites opened)
4-Safari-not-opened-to-any-website.png

5. Avast Security + BetterDisplay + Spotify + Safari (5 news websites opened)
5-Safari-news-tabs.png
Any new findings for this issue?

bryant_16

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apparently you can’t install the regular version of Windows. Need the ARM version. But there’s limitations.

https://kb.parallels.com/129497
I think most PC games will have a problem, not that Macs can handle power hungry games like Ready Or Not especially at high res.
ARM version meaning? Sorry, kind of noob at this. I just need to run bluestacks on the parallels if that helps.

Parka

Master Member
Reaction score

Internal is faster.

Unless you're transferring huge TB worths of files, chances are you won't really feel the difference. I've edited countless 4K videos through external SSD (Samsung T7) and it's fast enough.

Base storage of 256GB is definitely more than sufficient for installing apps unless you install games.

For me, files under 100MB each will all go to Microsoft OneDrive 1TB cloud. All my video and RAW files go to external SSD 4TB with another SSD for clone backup.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.