Makan and Shopping Trip to Bangkok

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Table of Contents (Update in progress)
Click to jump to page

Day 1 - Singapore to Bangkok

Ever since my friend helped us buy the tickets late last year when there was a promotion, I have been eagerly awaiting for the day to come by. Last year's itinerary (My Bangkok Trip) was more of a sightseeing and makan trip compared to this year's packed shopping agenda though we still managed to squeeze in three buffets along the way. =:p

Took half a day to go home to pack my bag for the trip for the flight at 8pm. Reached Changi Airport Terminal 1 an hour too early so sat down and watch these rain droplets dancing in the air. I must said, they are quite a sight to behold, with each droplet seeming to float effortlessly through in the air moving in synchrony to a specially choreographed dance though they are each attached to a thin wire.

Kinetic Rain

001-ChangiTerminal1.jpg

ART+COM was commissioned to create a signature art installation for the Departure-Check-in hall of Terminal 1 at Singapore Airport. “Kinetic Rain” is composed of two parts, each consisting of 608 rain droplets made of lightweight aluminum covered with copper. Suspended from thin steel ropes above the two opposing escalators, each droplet is moved precisely and seemingly floating by a computer-controlled motor hidden in the halls ceiling. The drops follow a 15-minute, computationally designed choreography where the two parts move together in unison, sometimes mirroring, sometimes complementing, and sometimes responding to each other.

002-ChangiTerminal1.jpg

Changi Airport Terminal 1 Departure Hall - The S$500 million upgrading project has given Changi’s oldest terminal a fresh and rejuvenated look. Thoughtful landscaping showcase a Tropical Garden City under one roof.

003-ChangiTerminal1.jpg

There are even dinosaurs roaming in the landscapes. :D

004-ChangiTerminal1.jpg

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Changi Airport Terminal 1 Departure Hall

005-ChangiTerminal1.jpg

006-ChangiTerminal1.jpg

008-ChangiTerminal1.jpg

Be a Changi Millionaire - Who wants to be a millionaire? I know I do.

007-ChangiTerminal1.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally boarded the plane but as we approached Suvarnabhumi Airport, the captain suddenly announced that the airport was busy and the flight's landing will be delayed. After circling the night sky for close to an hour, the flight was finally given the green light to land much to the delight of my friend who were asking what if the plane ran out of fuel. :D

On returning home, I found out what caused the flight's landing delay. Its seem that a 6cm-deep 60x60cm long crack prompted the closure of the West Runway for urgent repair which led to the diversion of 11 flights and delays of about 200 flights that night.

Since some of us had not eaten dinner, we proceeded to this roadside Pig Organs Stall recommended by my friend. The pig organs soup it sells is supposed to best any stalls in Singapore according to him.

009-Bangkok.jpg

010-Bangkok.jpg

011-Bangkok.jpg

How to get there: Take train to BTS Sala Daeng, head through Exit 5 and walk towards UOB Thai.

bts-S2-sala-daeng.gif

Map Source

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pig Organ Soup - The soup packed a fiery punch with the strong pepper taste much hotter than any pepper soup I had came across. The pig kidney had a clean taste compared to those back home. The roast pork was deep fried to a crisp so that it retained the crunchy texture even after spending sometime in the soup.

012-Bangkok.jpg

013-Bangkok.jpg

The seller thrown in some pig blood even though we did not ordered it. Each bowl of soup cost 50 baht regardless of how many ingredients you picked as the seller will adjust the quantity of each ingredient added.

014-Bangkok.jpg

015-Bangkok.jpg

Last edited:

gohjlb

Reaction score
Pig Organ Soup - The soup packed a fiery punch with the strong pepper taste much hotter than any pepper soup I had came across. The pig kidney had a clean taste compared to those back home. The roast pork was deep fried to a crisp so that it retained the crunchy texture even after spending sometime in the soup.

013-Bangkok.jpg

The seller thrown in some pig blood even though we did not ordered it. Each bowl of soup cost 50 baht regardless of how many ingredients you picked as the seller will adjust the quantity of each ingredient added.

014-Bangkok.jpg

015-Bangkok.jpg

Lantern Stall - This stall was just next to our tables.

016-Bangkok.jpg

Hi Thanks For the delicious update. Do you mind sharing with us where the location for Pig Organs Soup? i would love to try it out when i go thai for vacation. it look so delicious and tempting =) yum yum!

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lantern Stall - This stall was just next to our tables.

016-Bangkok.jpg

Not wanting to sleep with a still hungry stomach, we dashed across the busy road to this Noodle Stall.

017-Bangkok.jpg

Noodle Soup - We actually ordered the dry version but was served the soup version. Not wanting to make a fuss, we only changed one of the three bowls. Thais have small appetite it seem so their servings are quite small in quantity.

018-Bangkok.jpg

Bee Hoon Soup - Plus they seem to like their foods sweet so each table beside the usual chilli and Thai sauces, comes with sugar and crushed groundnuts. Imagine adding sugar to this bowl of Bee Hoon... :s22:

019-Bangkok.jpg

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Thanks For the delicious update. Do you mind sharing with us where the location for Pig Organs Soup? i would love to try it out when i go thai for vacation. it look so delicious and tempting =) yum yum!

Let me go ask for directions first. But time to sleep first. :)

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bee Hoon Dry - Want some sugar? :D No thanks!

020-Bangkok.jpg

Soup with Pig Blood, Cuttlefish and Dumplings

021-Bangkok.jpg

Steamed Chicken Stall - We also ordered steamed chicken from this stall.

022-Bangkok.jpg

Steamed Chicken - Chicken breast was only so so, not that fantastic though meat was still moist enough.

023-Bangkok.jpg

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After our dinner/supper, we took a walk further down the road to this BBQ Pork Hawker parked in front of a 7-11 store. There seem to be an abundance of these BBQ hawkers on pushcarts, motorcycles, makeshift stalls etc… And they started operating even during the early breakfast hours.

024-Bangkok.jpg

BBQ Pork Skewers at 10 baht each. Sweetish in taste and quite tender though I preferred the BBQ pork belly near my friend's place.

025-Bangkok.jpg

Time was about close to midnight but traffic on the road was still congested. As it was late, our group split into two and went our separate ways to our own accommodations.

026-Bangkok.jpg

By the time we reached my friend's condo, it was already 1am plus in the morning. A quick unpack and shower and I am ready to call it a day at 2am.

End of Day 1

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

OK, found the location. Take Exit 5 and walk towards UOB Thai.

bts-S2-sala-daeng.gif

Map Source

dlrowehtleah

Reaction score

Time was about close to midnight but traffic on the road was still congested. As it was late, our group split into two and went our separate ways to our own accommodations.

026-Bangkok.jpg

End of Day 1

d small lane 2 d left is called Soi Convent which intercepts d main Silom Road on d right. u can find dis on ur attached BTS Saladang station system map too.

ur pic was taken near d entrance of dis big corner 7/11 store.

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
d small lane 2 d left is called Soi Convent which intercepts d main Silom Road on d right. u can find dis on ur attached BTS Saladang station system map too.

ur pic was taken near d entrance of dis big corner 7/11 store.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, picture was taken in front of 7-11.

Bishio

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fwah food food food! cant wait to go back to bkk and jiak hor yi si!

keep the picts coming! and do state the locations and damage! :D

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 2 - Central Plaza and Majestic Grande Hotel

The three groups of us have arranged to meet at Central Plaza for lunch and some shopping. Yes, we are all staying at different locations but thanks to my friends for the prior arrangement and co-ordination, things went more smoothly.

027-CentralPlaza.jpg

One thing I noticed about the place was that it had many Japanese restaurants and eateries. The Thais must be crazy over Japanese foods.

028-CentralPlaza.jpg

029-CentralPlaza.jpg

Banana Leaf Thai Restaurant - The other two groups were already eating away when we were shown to our table.

Banana Leaf Thai Restaurant
Central Plaza Rama 3 5th Floor
Tel: 02-673-6206

030-BananaLeaf.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Banana Leaf Thai Restaurant - First impression was a good one with the smiling staffs greeting you all the way. The wait staffs are all pretty young and they seem more amused when I go around taking photo of the place.

031-BananaLeaf.jpg

032-BananaLeaf.jpg

Banana Leaf Menu - I think you should have gotten a hint of what we wanted to order for lunch. :thumb2:

033-BananaLeaf.jpg

034-BananaLeaf.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.